Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

What the hell, Durbin no and Feingold yes. Wasn't expecting that for the Acorn vote.

I'm intrigued by the Tammy Duckworth votes in the poll, and am interested in the arguments for her candidacy by those who voted for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I feel like voting for Bernie in the general election is really a vote for their running mate. I really don't want someone who would turn eighty in their first year of their presidency running, even if he says several of the right things.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Star Man posted:

I feel like voting for Bernie in the general election is really a vote for their running mate. I really don't want someone who would turn eighty in their first year of their presidency running, even if he says several of the right things.

If there was a better progressive option the left would take them in a heartbeat

unfortunately everyone else is either too young to run or doesn't want to

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pylons posted:

I voted for Booker in the poll, but that is exactly the amount of effort I am willing to put in to casting an actual primary vote for him.

Gas

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

A vote for Bernie is a vote for the several right things he says (and does).

If someone else says those several right things, and has a history of advocating them (rather than a recent change of heart to embrace things that 80 percent of Dem voters want), then I would consider voting for that person.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Willa Rogers posted:

A vote for Bernie is a vote for the several right things he says (and does).

If someone else says those several right things, and has a history of advocating them (rather than a recent change of heart to embrace things that 80 percent of Dem voters want), then I would consider voting for that person.

this is the long and short of it

we need actual change in this country, and for that we need to elect people who will fight for it. look at the difference in results you got from the election of sinema vs the election of AOC. bernie is really old, but he's the only one in the lineup that will fight for the change this country needs. so the choice is pretty clear, you have to vote for him

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

though Star does raise a fair point in that bernie's VP pick is important because there's a serious non-zero chance he dies during his term

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Effortpost:

I don't know a ton about Sherrod Brown's political history or voting record, but it seems to be he's got one big asset as a candidate: the Electoral College map. He's a popular Rust Belt Senator who held onto his seat with ease even while the rest of the Ohio D's were in full collapse. Unless the Dems can make some big time magic happen in North Carolina, Georgia and/or Florida, the race is going to be determined almost solely by Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Michigan if Ohio goes R. Brown's (presumed) name value and regional connection make him an unparalleled asset, and if he can actually deliver Ohio that is a seismic shift and puts Trump's re-election on the ropes from basically Day 1.

However, it's important to remember that just winning back the White House is not going to be good enough. The D's desperately need a candidate who motivated to lead the party toward at least 2-3 major policy achievements (M4A, New Voting Rights Act, Green New Deal, $15 minimum wage, Bank Regulation, and Net Neutrality come to mind as the short list of Things To Go All In On) before the midterms. They need someone not afraid to fence with the SCOTUS in a Lincolnian/Rooseveltian fashion if we're staring down a 5/4 barrel on all the D's plans. They need someone with the administrative ability to reconstruct the executive branch after the insane gutting it's suffered at the hands of Trump's cronies, particularly the State department. They need someone who can mend the diplomatic bridges Trump has been constantly burning and help reassure the rest of the world that America's rough patch is behind us.

And then there is the question of coat-tails. A lot of what Dems need to accomplish if they win this President can be stymied by the Senate. The House seems to be taking good care of it's own electoral chances, although a strong president never hurts especially in the places where victories were narrow. But the Senate... the 2020 map seems like almost all the Dem's seats are safe (except Doug Jones of course), but the opportunities to make gains are very thin. Maine and Colorado are ripe for the taking, but that's only two, and the Democrats need 4 in the likely event Jones goes down. And if Sherrod Brown DID win the nomination, that means they need 5.

Taking into account a wide variety of factors, I would say the Democrats have non-zero shots at the Senate races in Arizona, Iowa, Montana, Kansas, North Carolina and Georgia. Every one of those is a giant uphill battle, but I'd put each one of them in the realm of possibility. (I've been wondering lately if they have a chance to taking out Mitch in Kentucky based on polls of the Governor's race and Mitch's hyper-unpopularity with the Trump Brigade, but I sure as heck wouldn't put money on it). The D candidate or their ticket as a complete package needs to be able to appeal to those states directly or energize the entire party voting base on a nation-wide scale, or the whole train could be derailed right out of the station.

Whoever wins this nomination has a HUUUGE challenge is front of them, rivaling even the shitshow Obama had to cope with coming into office, and while Sherrod Brown may have great odds if all you're looking at is EC numbers, I don't know if he can do all that other stuff.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

Effortpost:

I don't know a ton about Sherrod Brown's political history or voting record, but it seems to be he's got one big asset as a candidate: the Electoral College map. He's a popular Rust Belt Senator who held onto his seat with ease even while the rest of the Ohio D's were in full collapse. Unless the Dems can make some big time magic happen in North Carolina, Georgia and/or Florida, the race is going to be determined almost solely by Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Michigan if Ohio goes R. Brown's (presumed) name value and regional connection make him an unparalleled asset, and if he can actually deliver Ohio that is a seismic shift and puts Trump's re-election on the ropes from basically Day 1.

One thing that I think works pretty heavily against Brown is that he's not exactly in favor of M4A, preferring a buy-in to the current Medicare.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

uh oh i guess bernie's goose is cooked

i guess he should've spent more time voting for sanctions against people most americans couldn't give less than a poo poo about and less time meeting with people wanting to make sure the bernie 2020 campaign staffers have strong protections against sexual harassment :shrug:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yinlock posted:

though Star does raise a fair point in that bernie's VP pick is important because there's a serious non-zero chance he dies during his term

Yeah, I'm fine voting for Sanders provided his running mate is at least as progressive as the man himself. If he picks someone more centrist to shore up support I'd be much warier.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Pylons posted:

One thing that I think works pretty heavily against Brown is that he's not exactly in favor of M4A, preferring a buy-in to the current Medicare.

The other thing that works pretty heavily against Brown is that by picking him, either for president or vice president, it's basically forfeiting the hope of a Democratic Senate and conceding to at least two years and almost certainly four years with no accomplishments save executive orders that immediately get reversed the next time the far right gets back in the White House. It's basically "Yeah we're going to for sure go full fash, but we'll take a four year pause to do it." Will I vote for Brown if he ends up as the nominee? Yeah, sure. But lordy he's not in my top five picks, and only partly because of his views and partly because getting to 50 in the Senate in 2020 is already going to be a hard road without surrendering Ohio.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
We should really be scouting governors and maaaybe solid blue state senators. Giving up purple state senators is a loving terrible idea given the 2020 map and how necessary a Dem majority Senate is going to be in reversing the damage of the Idiot-in-Chief

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
The obvious answer for vice president would be Killer Mike.

Cornel West would be fire in a VP debate.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Best veep for bernie is Nina turner imo. She’s awesome, she’d keep things going if bernie passed on, and she is on our side

Plus then we could have turner/ocasio-cortez 2024

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Condiv posted:

uh oh i guess bernie's goose is cooked

i guess he should've spent more time voting for sanctions against people most americans couldn't give less than a poo poo about and less time meeting with people wanting to make sure the bernie 2020 campaign staffers have strong protections against sexual harassment :shrug:

Nobody ever referred to a revolution with the adjective "our" before Lenin, it's true

Maximilien Robespierre refused to refer to the French Revolution as anything other than "that revolution that other people are doing, not me, I'm a serious statesman just swimming in decorum" (in French ofc)

Also: you're the one refusing to think of Russia as a capitalist country, not me! Anyway, my enemies are kind of like Lenin, clearly this means they're in cahoots with Putin

e: I thought this was the C-SPAM thread lol

loquacius fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 17, 2019

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Then why not just run Nina Turner instead?

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Star Man posted:

No name recognition in a field that is already gonna be packed to the gills with people that have no name recognition to the average American that hasn't poisoned their brains with politics.

Biden's probably the only person that seems to be running with name recognition that can match Bernie's.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What I'm saying is that I'm just loving tired of candidates that were old enough to dodge the draft during Vietnam (man or woman).

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Star Man posted:

She doesn't personally have governmental experience at any level higher than Ohio State Senate, which in the Dem party certainly doesn't help

Her big-name achievement has been as a Sanders surrogate, so her best path as a candidate would be if he held a big press release acting like he was gonna announce and instead let her stand up and announce her candidacy, and then immediately endorsed her and spent the election cycle acting as a surrogate for her, which would be an interesting turn of events

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames
Poll going well for our man Bernie

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Star Man posted:

Bernie has name recognition and high popularity. Nina turner doesn’t have his sway with the public yet. A stint as vp might help her build the name recognition and popularity to win

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Sanguinia posted:

Effortpost:

However, it's important to remember that just winning back the White House is not going to be good enough. The D's desperately need a candidate who motivated to lead the party toward at least 2-3 major policy achievements (M4A, New Voting Rights Act, Green New Deal, $15 minimum wage, Bank Regulation, and Net Neutrality come to mind as the short list of Things To Go All In On) before the midterms. They need someone not afraid to fence with the SCOTUS in a Lincolnian/Rooseveltian fashion if we're staring down a 5/4 barrel on all the D's plans. They need someone with the administrative ability to reconstruct the executive branch after the insane gutting it's suffered at the hands of Trump's cronies, particularly the State department. They need someone who can mend the diplomatic bridges Trump has been constantly burning and help reassure the rest of the world that America's rough patch is behind us.

And then there is the question of coat-tails. A lot of what Dems need to accomplish if they win this President can be stymied by the Senate. The House seems to be taking good care of it's own electoral chances, although a strong president never hurts especially in the places where victories were narrow. But the Senate... the 2020 map seems like almost all the Dem's seats are safe (except Doug Jones of course), but the opportunities to make gains are very thin. Maine and Colorado are ripe for the taking, but that's only two, and the Democrats need 4 in the likely event Jones goes down. And if Sherrod Brown DID win the nomination, that means they need 5.

Taking into account a wide variety of factors, I would say the Democrats have non-zero shots at the Senate races in Arizona, Iowa, Montana, Kansas, North Carolina and Georgia. Every one of those is a giant uphill battle, but I'd put each one of them in the realm of possibility. (I've been wondering lately if they have a chance to taking out Mitch in Kentucky based on polls of the Governor's race and Mitch's hyper-unpopularity with the Trump Brigade, but I sure as heck wouldn't put money on it). The D candidate or their ticket as a complete package needs to be able to appeal to those states directly or energize the entire party voting base on a nation-wide scale, or the whole train could be derailed right out of the station.

Whoever wins this nomination has a HUUUGE challenge is front of them, rivaling even the shitshow Obama had to cope with coming into office, and while Sherrod Brown may have great odds if all you're looking at is EC numbers, I don't know if he can do all that other stuff.

I heard Brown speak for the first time on NPR the other day and I can't say I was terribly impressed. His general rhetoric was better than your average Democrat but I heard zero policy substance and the whole time he kept repeating the phrase "the dignity of work" which, in addition to sounding like something he stole from a Republican, is also a bad angle to work from in general (the problems go way deeper than "work sucks"). I just can't see him pulling very much support from Bernie and I don't see the centrists going for him over another candidate with better name recognition.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Star Man posted:

What I'm saying is that I'm just loving tired of candidates that were old enough to dodge the draft during Vietnam (man or woman).

My heart aches for you, but we’re playing with the hand we were dealt. Therefore bernie is our best option

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames
gently caress ageism.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
sanders is the only sane option if you have a vision for the country beyond means-testing access to lottery tickets for the Bezos Arcology. in a not unrelated statement, the purpose of the DNC and associated organs of the democratic establishment is to prevent anyone like Sanders from ever getting close to any position of meaningful power.

it's going to be a cool next two years team

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

brown is a bit of an odd creature in that he’s been to the substantial left of the party on issues like workers’ rights and LQBTQ rights but tends toward inoffensive language that is approachable to rural voters.

this might be a boon for him in a general election but i don’t know if it will be appealing to Democrats who want Bernie’s revolutionary rhetoric.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sherrod has a great history but he definitely sounds much more like an old man when he talks than Bernie does

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Condiv posted:

Best veep for bernie is Nina turner imo. She’s awesome, she’d keep things going if bernie passed on, and she is on our side

Plus then we could have turner/ocasio-cortez 2024

And will make donut twitter's heads explode so bad.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm intrigued by the Tammy Duckworth votes in the poll, and am interested in the arguments for her candidacy by those who voted for her.

I originally read this as Tammy Baldwin and was going to say that for the first openly lesbian woman elected in an increasingly red state in 2012, she’s had an overall respectable record on balance. I don’t think she’d be a great president but I’m glad she won re-election.

I’m not as happy with Duckworth tbh.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

What happened to Tammy Duckworth? I remember a few years ago thinking she'd be a real force in the Senate and could easily be a presidential hopeful, but she's been almost totally off the radar for the last two years as far as I can tell

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

What happened to Tammy Duckworth? I remember a few years ago thinking she'd be a real force in the Senate and could easily be a presidential hopeful, but she's been almost totally off the radar for the last two years as far as I can tell

trump sucked all the oxygen out of the room and she hasn't been actively seeking a national profile.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tammy Duckworth is a great pick for Dem presidential nominee for people who think you can get someone elected by listing adjectives about them

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Mukaikubo posted:

The other thing that works pretty heavily against Brown is that by picking him, either for president or vice president, it's basically forfeiting the hope of a Democratic Senate and conceding to at least two years and almost certainly four years with no accomplishments save executive orders that immediately get reversed the next time the far right gets back in the White House. It's basically "Yeah we're going to for sure go full fash, but we'll take a four year pause to do it." Will I vote for Brown if he ends up as the nominee? Yeah, sure. But lordy he's not in my top five picks, and only partly because of his views and partly because getting to 50 in the Senate in 2020 is already going to be a hard road without surrendering Ohio.

yeah exactly this, the delta between brown's performance in a general vs....say any of bernie|beto|biden|harris isn't big enough to be worth a senate seat even if it's real and substantial

with the exception of the whole "ginsburg will be off the supreme court by 2021" thing, it might actually be worse to have a dem president/gop senate/dem house than to have gop president/gop senate/dem house in 2020

Typo fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 17, 2019

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Brown also voted to defund ACORN.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

She's a conservative Dem.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Sanguinia posted:

My guess is that being a mom to her new baby has something to do with that.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

loquacius posted:

Tammy Duckworth is a great pick for Dem presidential nominee for people who think you can get someone elected by listing adjectives about them

Well-put. That does seem to be the case for every establishment Democratic darling, doesn't it?

QuoProQuid posted:

brown is a bit of an odd creature in that he’s been to the substantial left of the party on issues like workers’ rights and LQBTQ rights but tends toward inoffensive language that is approachable to rural voters.

this might be a boon for him in a general election but i don’t know if it will be appealing to Democrats who want Bernie’s revolutionary rhetoric.

The revolutionary rhetoric people like from Bernie is on the economic justice side of things, though. I think it's very possible for a candidate to say what needs to be said on social justice issues in a way that's accessible to rural voters, and also call loudly for economic justice. I don't know if Brown is capable of pulling that off, or if he wants to, but I think Bernie probably will be able to, after a little more refining of his message.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 17, 2019

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

QuoProQuid posted:

Brown could potentially try to pivot that direction by expanding the idea of dignity of work to include literally everything - labor rights, race, gender, identity protections, health care that's not dependent upon your employer, 20 dollar minimum wage, 30 hour work week, affordable housing within reasonable distance from your work and public transit, child care and parental leave, and so on. You can include a lot under the semantic umbrella of 'the dignity of work' if you want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
, and, in an extremely not problematic at all pol pot voice, the thing about other kinds of work that don't have dignity is,