Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

When considering 2020 candidates, I can't help but focus on the greatest crisis in the history of humanity, climate change. Their advocacy, policy, and potential for success on this topic will be the make or break for not just this nation, but for the lives of billions of people.

For a sense of the scale of what we would need to do at a bare minimum, is ban all new carbon emitting equipment, vehicles, buildings, facilities, wells, etc by 2030. Doing so will still fail to meet the Kyoto goals, but still leaves us with a potential for a life on earth we recognize. That's not hyperbole either.

So unless our 2020 candidate advocates for a plan at least that aggressive then wins and implements it we're looking at centuries of decline, wars, famine, and disease. We all know the Republic won't survive even the beginnings of it.

That's the stakes, so that's why its easy for me to dismiss as worthless any candidate that is unwilling to even pretend to advocate for a plan at least as aggressive as the one I outlined.

Edit: this figure from the National Climate Assessment 2018 is a good overview of the increased harm if we fail to act radically and immediately https://nca2018.globalchange.gov/chapter/29#fig-29-2

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

crazy cloud posted:

Brown could potentially try to pivot that direction by expanding the idea of dignity of work to include literally everything - labor rights, race, gender, identity protections, health care that's not dependent upon your employer, 20 dollar minimum wage, 30 hour work week, affordable housing within reasonable distance from your work and public transit, child care and parental leave, and so on. You can include a lot under the semantic umbrella of 'the dignity of work' if you want to.

green new deal easily falls under dignity of work

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I would sincerely like to hear from the two people who voted for Michael Bloomberg. :staredog:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Trabisnikof posted:

When considering 2020 candidates, I can't help but focus on the greatest crisis in the history of humanity, climate change. Their advocacy, policy, and potential for success on this topic will be the make or break for not just this nation, but for the lives of billions of people.

For a sense of the scale of what we would need to do at a bare minimum, is ban all new carbon emitting equipment, vehicles, buildings, facilities, wells, etc by 2030. Doing so will still fail to meet the Kyoto goals, but still leaves us with a potential for a life on earth we recognize. That's not hyperbole either.

So unless our 2020 candidate advocates for a plan at least that aggressive then wins and implements it we're looking at centuries of decline, wars, famine, and disease. We all know the Republic won't survive even the beginnings of it.

That's the stakes, so that's why its easy for me to dismiss as worthless any candidate that is unwilling to even pretend to advocate for a plan at least as aggressive as the one I outlined.

Edit: this figure from the National Climate Assessment 2018 is a good overview of the increased harm if we fail to act radically and immediately https://nca2018.globalchange.gov/chapter/29#fig-29-2

I hate to be a debbie downer, but I don't think there's any hope of even Bernie looking for a Climate Change stance that aggressive. We can expect a strong stance for green energy development and deployment, maybe even an actual War On Coal, but a total moratorium on all cars and natural gas power plants is not something anyone in 2020 is going to run on. Maybe we could see something like that in 2024 if whoever runs spends their entire 4 years beforehand laying a groundwork for it, because such a radical proposal is going to terrify people. Especially in Michigan, which Dems cannot afford to lose this cycle.

What I do think we can see is a robust effort to help shore up things to protect us from Climate Change effects. New infrastructure in Hurricane Alley and the Northeast to deal with more extreme weather, aid for fire safety in the Northwest, better regulation and investment in agricultural regions to help make growing food more viable in the new climate conditions, some kind of plan for sinking Florida, and advocacy for Statehood for the territory islands so they can fight for their own climate protection initiatives.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

why do people keep pretending sherrod brown is progressive?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

I hate to be a debbie downer, but I don't think there's any hope of even Bernie looking for a Climate Change stance that aggressive. We can expect a strong stance for green energy development and deployment, maybe even an actual War On Coal, but a total moratorium on all cars and natural gas power plants is not something anyone in 2020 is going to run on. Maybe we could see something like that in 2024 if whoever runs spends their entire 4 years beforehand laying a groundwork for it, because such a radical proposal is going to terrify people. Especially in Michigan, which Dems cannot afford to lose this cycle.

What I do think we can see is a robust effort to help shore up things to protect us from Climate Change effects. New infrastructure in Hurricane Alley and the Northeast to deal with more extreme weather, aid for fire safety in the Northwest, better regulation and investment in agricultural regions to help make growing food more viable in the new climate conditions, some kind of plan for sinking Florida, and advocacy for Statehood for the territory islands so they can fight for their own climate protection initiatives.

I think the 100 by 50 Act is in the right ballpark: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/987

quote:

To transition away from fossil fuel sources of energy to 100 percent clean and renewable energy by 2050, and for other purposes.

Only Booker and Bernie have cosponsored it of the Senators running.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Condiv posted:

why do people keep pretending sherrod brown is progressive?

He's not AOC but he's better than most.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

mcmagic posted:

He's not AOC but he's better than most.

corporate pac donations would seem to run counter to that statement, but i'm open to an explanation of why he's better than most of the field

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Condiv posted:

corporate pac donations would seem to run counter to that statement, but i'm open to an explanation of why he's better than most of the field

His voting record is better than a lot of the senators who have taken less corporate PAC money than he has though.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sherrod is #canceled for me now honestly

He'd been on thin ice with me previously in that he has a good history but apparently has a chronic inability to say things in the present that inspire any sort of enthusiasm in me, and I'd venture to say that this would explain that

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

mcmagic posted:

His voting record is better than a lot of the senators who have taken less corporate PAC money than he has though.

he voted to defund acorn

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
nm can't read

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I feel like unless Liz Warren succeeds in her effort to rebuild her national profile after a year of stepping on rakes (which is doubtless why she declared so early) the race is going to come down to Bernie vs whoever among the Top Three Ladies finds a way to distinguish herself and pull ahead of the pack. I honestly don't know enough about Gillibrand, Harris or Klobuchar to hazard a guess who that might be.

I don't think Booker has much of a shot, nor does Tulsi Gabbard. I don't think any othet speculative candidate can even be called a serious contender.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Sanguinia posted:

I feel like unless Liz Warren succeeds in her effort to rebuild her national profile after a year of stepping on rakes (which is doubtless why she declared so early) the race is going to come down to Bernie vs whoever among the Top Three Ladies finds a way to distinguish herself and pull ahead of the pack. I honestly don't know enough about Gillibrand, Harris or Klobuchar to hazard a guess who that might be.

I don't think Booker has much of a shot, nor does Tulsi Gabbard. I don't think any othet speculative candidate can even be called a serious contender.

i don't think gillibrand will make it. she took well deserved swipes at the clintons, but her base is centrists, and that's not really something you can get away with with the centrist crowd. plus, it seems a lot of centrists are still upset about her having taken a principled stand on al franken.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Condiv posted:

To be fair the bar is set pretty drat low for the rest of the non-Bernie field.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Meanwhile in Beto land, he's facing a problem he could have never seen coming, people looking at his record and making judgement based on past actions!

https://www.theroot.com/we-thought-beto-orourke-was-cool-until-we-found-out-he-1831817585

quote:

Speaking to the congregants at a black church in Dallas about the shooting of Botham Jean by former Dallas police officer Amber Guyger, O’Rourke brought the crowd to its feet when he asked, “How can we continue to lose the lives of unarmed black men in the United States of America, at the hands of white police officers?”

“That is not justice. That is not us. That can—and must—change,” he said.

A Quinnipiac University poll released in September 2018 indicated that 97 percent of the black voters surveyed favored O’Rourke.

As KUT reported, black voters said his campaign did a good job of exciting them.

So how is it that a man who made a very specific speech about the importance of black lives could vote for legislation that was widely viewed as the Republican response to police brutality protests by Black Lives Matter activists?

Mother Jones reports that in 2017, O’Rourke voted in favor of the Thin Blue Line Act—legislation that would allow prosecutors to impose the death penalty on anyone who killed a law enforcement officer “while he or she was engaged in the performance of his or her official duties; because of the performance of his or her official duties; or because of his or her status as a public official or employee.”

As Kanya Bennett, senior legislative counsel at the American Civil Liberties Union, explained to Mother Jones, the Thin Blue Line Act “sends the signal that the Congress has the backs of law enforcement over the backs of other constituents, primarily constituents of color.”

That is an important point to note. The Thin Blue Line Act essentially makes police officers a protected class—similar to minorities, LGBTQ people or women. It also duplicates laws that many states already have on the books to seek more severe punishments against those who target or kill law enforcement officers.

“Police unions push bills like Thin Blue to distract from the national discourse around police violence and black lives,” Bennett said. “There is no shortage of protections for law enforcement when crimes are committed against them.”

O’Rourke seemed poised to win over black voters and many voters in general because he spoke in support of nationwide cannabis legalization and an end to the cash bail system.

It would appear, however, that what he says and what he votes for are at odds with each other.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

WrightOfWay posted:

To be fair the bar is set pretty drat low for the rest of the non-Bernie field.

and yet they still consistently fail to leap it

sexpig by night posted:

Meanwhile in Beto land, he's facing a problem he could have never seen coming, people looking at his record and making judgement based on past actions!

https://www.theroot.com/we-thought-beto-orourke-was-cool-until-we-found-out-he-1831817585

this is generally why the manufactured hype for him died down from "obama's shining golden boy" to "just another 2020 primary clowncar contender"

the obama scam only works when you have a spotless record to go with it

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

sexpig by night posted:

That guy is dogshit. Glad people have wised up to him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Condiv posted:

he voted to defund acorn

Yeah. that was a cowardly, despicable vote. It's indefensible. The only candidate who voted against it was Bernie though. I mean Biden voted for the loving Iraq war... I still like a lot of things in Brown's record and I think he's very electable.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Yeah. that was a cowardly, despicable vote. It's indefensible. The only candidate who voted against it was Bernie though. I mean Biden voted for the loving Iraq war... I still like a lot of things in Brown's record and I think he's very electable.

Gillibrand voted against it.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

mcmagic posted:

Yeah. that was a cowardly, despicable vote. It's indefensible. The only candidate who voted against it was Bernie though.

:thunk:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

^^^
I'm supporting Bernie. I'm just saying that I like some things about Brown.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sanguinia posted:

I'd say of those three, Harris probably has the best shot - Gillibrand's going to have a problem with the Franken dead-enders who absolutely loathe her, and the only folks I've seen who strongly support Klobuchar are center-right Republicans.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

How many Franken dead enders can there possibly be? And she was 100% right in that case... and about Bill Clinton.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

DaveWoo posted:

Gillibrand's going to have a problem with the Franken dead-enders who absolutely loathe her

Plus she just has never had that good of an answer to the question, "Why were you such a lovely right-winger for so much of your political career?" It's tough to sell an answer like, "Well, I represented a horrible right-wing district in the House, and then I did a 180 when I got into the Senate because those are my REAL stances," and I don't think she's up to the task.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Majorian posted:

Plus she just has never had that good of an answer to the question, "Why were you such a lovely right-winger for so much of your political career?" It's tough to sell an answer like, "Well, I represented a horrible right-wing district in the House, and then I did a 180 when I got into the Senate because those are my REAL stances," and I don't think she's up to the task.

That is basically the truth though...

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

mcmagic posted:

That is basically the truth though...

Yes, it is - I'm saying it's a tough thing to sell though.

Stonelegs
Apr 15, 2003

I'll have a coke...

DaveWoo posted:

I'd say of those three, Harris probably has the best shot - Gillibrand's going to have a problem with the Franken dead-enders who absolutely loathe her, and the only folks I've seen who strongly support Klobuchar are center-right Republicans.

The centrist circles I run in universally loathe the idea that Gillibrand should be seen negatively because of her thing with Franken and most of us are pretty keen on Klobuchar. We're most interested in who has the best chance to beat Trump. Once that bar is cleared, then we can start talking about our preferences for their views on markets and such. Essentially whomever makes it out of the democratic primary is getting the Neoliberal vote, no matter what we may or may not like about them. I just hope that if a candidate wins the primary that doesn't please a particular faction of the left, even if it's my faction that loses, that said faction doesn't throw a fit and stay home on election day. This one is important.

I voted for Klobuchar. She's so dreamy. All hail the Midwest.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Stonelegs posted:

The centrist circles I run in universally loathe the idea that Gillibrand should be seen negatively because of her thing with Franken and most of us are pretty keen on Klobuchar. We're most interested in who has the best chance to beat Trump. Once that bar is cleared, then we can start talking about our preferences for their views on markets and such. Essentially whomever makes it out of the democratic primary is getting the Neoliberal vote, no matter what we may or may not like about them. I just hope that if a candidate wins the primary that doesn't please a particular faction of the left, even if it's my faction that loses, that said faction doesn't throw a fit and stay home on election day. This one is important.

I voted for Klobuchar. She's so dreamy. All hail the Midwest.

Pretty much. I like Booker but not enough to go participate in the caucus (assuming he's even still in the running by that point) so I don't really have strong feelings about of the candidates. I'm gonna vote for whoever wins it, at the end of the day.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Stonelegs posted:

Essentially whomever makes it out of the democratic primary is getting the Neoliberal vote, no matter what we may or may not like about them.

Do you think it's likely that all the centrist candidates in the race will split the neoliberal vote, though? That's the assumption a lot of us are operating under, although I'd be interested to hear your opinion.

Stonelegs
Apr 15, 2003

I'll have a coke...

Majorian posted:

Do you think it's likely that all the centrist candidates in the race will split the neoliberal vote, though? That's the assumption a lot of us are operating under, although I'd be interested to hear your opinion.

In the primary? Yeah, there will be a split if the field still has a lot of candidates. There's not a center-left champion out there we're all hyped up about. But if it drops down to just a handful, I can see Gillibrand getting us as a voting bloc. The candidates that would least expect our support would be Bernie and Tulsi.

In the general? Nope. Almost entirely voting Democrat. Trump's anti-globalist agenda has literally created the current neoliberal movement, as small as it is. This administration needs to be replaced, and while Bernie is nearly as bad economically, at least he's not a dishonest moron with questionable loyalties like Donald.

EDIT: Plus, we are socially liberal so we'd like to see policies on immigration, LGBT, civil rights, etc. go in the right direction... which is left.

Stonelegs fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 18, 2019

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Majorian posted:

I don't think the "neoliberal vote" is enough to be a thing.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

mcmagic posted:

How many Franken dead enders can there possibly be? And she was 100% right in that case... and about Bill Clinton.

It's the "...and about Bill Clinton" that will sink her, not Franken, because it angers Hillary voters & staffers who pretended that Bernie went hard on her in 2016, and bc it also trashes Bill's legacy.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How did the "Beto is actually bad" stuff only start popping up after after he lost?

the gently caress was Ted Cruz doing?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

It's the "...and about Bill Clinton" that will sink her, not Franken, because it angers Hillary voters & staffers who pretended that Bernie went hard on her in 2016, and bc it also trashes Bill's legacy.

on the one hand, you can count the voters who were ride or die for Hillary Clinton personally without having to break out a fifth digit, so that part's probably not going to sink her

but she's also really, really reliant on big donors keeping her in the race through the winnowing period, and publicly giving them a long-deserved backstabbing probably closes a couple of doors to her there.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

Voters, i'm not sure. Maybe people inside the DNC will try to ratfuck her. I could definitely see that.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How did the "Beto is actually bad" stuff only start popping up after after he lost?

ted cruz revealing that his opponent ACTUALLY voted for conservative policy was not going to be a dealbreaker in texas

beto's list of votes are tailor-made to get him statewide office and utterly disqualifying for national

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

For a Texas Democrat Beto is great. For a democratic president, not so much. Cruz couldn't attack Beto from the left.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Ted Cruz voters think all of those things are good. If Ted Cruz criticizes him for them, that makes it look like Ted Cruz thinks those things his voters think are good, are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stonelegs
Apr 15, 2003

I'll have a coke...
I just did a quick scan of his ontheissues page and he seems pretty boilerplate Democrat to me. What's the disqualifier?