Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This is a continuation of an argument from a few days ago. No one is arguing to not let idiot conservative D's in SC (or chuds for that matter) vote. The argument was to move the primary back to reduce their ability to influence the national primary and drive the party rightward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Ok but really, why does SC hate Sanders so much? It's not one group of voters.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 25, 2019

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mcmagic posted:

This is a continuation of an argument from a few days ago. No one is arguing to not let idiot conservative D's in SC (or chuds for that matter) vote. The argument was to move the primary back to reduce their ability to influence the national primary and drive the party rightward.

well then next time say that instead of saying you want to disenfranchise a bunch of black voters because they don't behave the way you want?

mcmagic posted:

Disenfranchise south Carolina and nuke it.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
nobody over 70 should be able to vote, because they have no loving skin in the game. gently caress em. i don't want baby boomers to destroy our entire future.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Trabisnikof posted:

well then next time say that instead of saying you want to disenfranchise a bunch of black voters because they don't behave the way you want?

Chillax dude. People engage in hyberpole on the internet sometimes....

Typical Pubbie posted:

Ok but really, why does SC hate Sanders so much? It's not any one group of voters.

Because they are way to the rightward of the center of gravity of the party right now. And because they have zero impact on the general election, they have too much power in the primary.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

VitalSigns posted:

I used to believe in democracy, but it's pretty clear democracy is a broken failure of a system that can never work, and our only hope is a vanguard force of shitposters

We don't really have democracy though?

Then again...

https://www.politico.com/2020-election/democratic-presidential-candidates/polls/

The #2 choice of Biden supporters is Sanders, and the #2 choice of Sanders supporters is Biden, lolwuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

It's still all just name recognition at this point

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

sean10mm posted:

We don't really have democracy though?

Then again...

https://www.politico.com/2020-election/democratic-presidential-candidates/polls/

The #2 choice of Biden supporters is Sanders, and the #2 choice of Sanders supporters is Biden, lolwuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

It's still all just name recognition at this point

In general that's a really good sign for Bernie. If someone can mortally wound Biden in the first debate, a good chunk of that will go to sanders, and warren, leaving the more centrist candidates in the dust.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
you already said Warren you don’t need to repeat centrists again . Bernie or bust

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Typical Pubbie posted:

Given Bernie's positions on unions, and South Carolina's historical stance on the Union, weeeeeelll....

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Typical Pubbie posted:

African-Americans primary voters have historically aligned with establishment white moderates over white liberal/left challengers from the Northeast.

The younger generation doesn't seem to do this nearly as much, but the primary electorate continues to be really old

Typo fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 25, 2019

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Not supporting Bernie isn't nearly as problematic as the bind support of Biden.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Not supporting Bernie isn't nearly as problematic as the bind support of Biden.

I'm sure you tell yourself that a lot.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Name recognition, default centrist candidate, plus a "friend of Barack"

The dude's a walking gaffe machine, can't see how it isn't all downside from here on out

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm sure you tell yourself that a lot.

I do, in fact, support Bernie. So no i don't. But it's still true.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mcmagic posted:

. . . support Bernie . . . no i don't

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So what else should be in that proposal that currently isn't? It already seems to have nationwide AVR and same day registration as well as making election day a federal holiday, and mandatory re-enfranchisement after leaving jail. Getting rid of felony dis-enfranchisement while in jail? Mandatory availability of absentee ballots?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

So what else should be in that proposal that currently isn't? It already seems to have nationwide AVR and same day registration as well as making election day a federal holiday, and mandatory re-enfranchisement after leaving jail. Getting rid of felony dis-enfranchisement while in jail? Mandatory availability of absentee ballots?

exactly what the federal standards are isn't explicit, but it says mandating early voting and voting by mail so i think that absentee part is therefore already included

ending states' ability to disenfranchise felons will take a constitutional amendment (and, to be fair, several other elements of warren's proposals also risk being invalidated by a hostile supreme court, but they're not so crazy that the loss is like automatic or anything)

eke out fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 25, 2019

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Can you make an image the thread title because lmao

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol warren's plan is #4 on reddit and all the posts are about the voting machine security aspect. we're so hosed

well dang she's got the all-important early state of reddit sewn up

Typical Pubbie posted:

white dems in sc are succ incarnate. the people currently in leadership all they've ever known is trying to stanch the bleeding from the post-civil rights realignment

he actually does okay in polling among black voters, but they're rightfully skeptical at this point of his chances. his challenge there as it is elsewhere is turning out younger and previously non-interested voters

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 25, 2019

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Punk da Bundo posted:

nobody over 70 should be able to vote, because they have no loving skin in the game. gently caress em. i don't want baby boomers to destroy our entire future.
I've seen three "pro-life" bumper stickers in the last week, all three were elderly white women.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Disenfranchise south Carolina and nuke it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Reddit is a worthless barometer. Twitter way more important.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
If you tolerate nested comment structure that gets sorted by upvotes you're already one of the most basic motherfuckers on the entire internet even before longform posting epic bacon reddit goodsir style gets into it.

At least Twitter has the dignity of a good old fashioned moshpit.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Nonsense posted:

Reddit is worthless, Twitter way more.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Typo posted:

African-Americans primary voters have historically aligned with establishment white moderates over white liberal/left challengers from the Northeast.

The younger generation doesn't seem to do this nearly as much, but the primary electorate continues to be really old

http://www.millsaps.edu/_resources/documents/2019-june-millsaps-chism-pre-debate-survey.pdf

quote:

Former Vice President Joe Biden holds a commanding lead among Mississippi Democratic voters as the first televised presidential primary debates are scheduled for the evenings of June 26-27. According to the findings from a new Millsaps College/Chism Strategies Pre-Debate Survey, 50% of likely Democratic 2020 primary election voters in Mississippi favor Biden while 21% are undecided. Another 29% are divided between the other 23 Democratic presidential hopefuls. United States Senators Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders receive 7% each, Senator Kamala Harris receives 5%, and South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg is at 2%. All other candidates receive less than 2% support in the survey.

Mississippi poll
Biden 50%
Warren 7%
Sanders 7%
Harris 5%
Buttigieg 2%

Goddamn

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Bernie, or bust

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

JesusSinfulHands posted:

http://www.millsaps.edu/_resources/documents/2019-june-millsaps-chism-pre-debate-survey.pdf

Mississippi poll
Biden 50%
Warren 7%
Sanders 7%
Harris 5%
Buttigieg 2%

Goddamn

Yikes. Bernie getting crushed in the South again seems very possible. If I'm reading correctly, Bernie only has 4% of the black vote there.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

crazy cloud posted:

Bernie, or bust

More like Bernie or Death. Like, from Climate Change, War, Corporate Greed, etc.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Lmao

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

This is, not good. I'm switching my support to buttman.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

LinYutang posted:

Yikes. Bernie getting crushed in the South again seems very possible. If I'm reading correctly, Bernie only has 4% of the black vote there.

If Biden's relative strength is in red states, that will help others in the final delegate math. Delegate allotment is based not just on population but on the number of democrats in the state too. So Mississippi has 3M people and 41 delegates total, versus Nevada with 3M people and 48 delegates or New Mexico with 2M people and 39 delegates.

Its why Texas is 50% as important as California for delegates.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Biden is the last major Dixiecrat and he is going to win the south in the primaries off the back of it

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I also have zero issues with Bernie being crushed in the south. Enough of this place. Enough.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Feldegast42 posted:

Biden is the last major Dixiecrat and he is going to win the south in the primaries off the back of it

He's not going to make it to through the primaries, just like the other x number of times he's run for president since 1982.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 26, 2019

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
kind of an aside but if it wasn't for the early primary status, the sc democratic party wouldn't exist at the state level

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Muppets On PCP posted:

kind of an aside but if it wasn't for the early primary status, the sc democratic party wouldn't exist at the state level

So? It doesn't exist in the General Election either.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2019/06/25/joe-biden-2020-democrats-1380317

After hearing about Biden’s comments on working with multiple segregationists, 41 percent of likely primary voters said it would make no difference to them and 29 percent said they would be more likely to vote for him. Just 18 percent said they would be less likely to vote for him. The numbers were about the same for black voters: 30 percent said they would be more likely to vote for Biden, 20 percent said less likely and 27 percent said it made no difference.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LinYutang posted:

https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2019/06/25/joe-biden-2020-democrats-1380317

After hearing about Biden’s comments on working with multiple segregationists, 41 percent of likely primary voters said it would make no difference to them and 29 percent said they would be more likely to vote for him. Just 18 percent said they would be less likely to vote for him. The numbers were about the same for black voters: 30 percent said they would be more likely to vote for Biden, 20 percent said less likely and 27 percent said it made no difference.

What are your thoughts on this LinYutang?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

What are your thoughts on this LinYutang?

He'll let you know as soon as he throws away the kleenex.