Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

aah, the best soundbyte of the soundtrack. Those bells are amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

nweismuller posted:

Those. Freaking. Bunk tags. I literally never saw the drat things. That made my full solution more difficult than it needed to be, and involved additional brute forcing.

Yep. Made even worse by watching this video and seeing how obvious they are if you spend even a few seconds looking at the hammocks.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

On my first playthrough, there was a part of my brain that recognized the bed tags as a potential clue, and then the rest of my brain decided that that was too much effort and couldn't possibly be the way forward. I have a bad brain.

double nine fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 8, 2019

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I believe the language being spoken is either Hindi or Sanskrit.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Samovar posted:

I believe the language being spoken is either Hindi or Sanskrit.

As far as I know, Sanskrit is sort of an equivealent to Latin in India - a basically-dead language learned by elites. I doubt random seamen would be speaking it.
I don't know for sure if the language is Hindi though.
The script is Devanagari, which is common to these and many other Indian languages.

I actually found the white-shirt guy you couldn't zoom in on easy to recognise in the picture. The character designs in this game are really good; you can honestly recognise everyone's individual features and even their facial structure between their character model and the sketches.
Now, finding his name, on the other hand...

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 8, 2019

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
I think on older versions of the game, "spiked" always referred to the way the butcher died with the multiple spikes while "speared" always referred to a handheld weapon, but now they're completely interchangeable.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Soldiers of the Sea is a such a banger.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Soldiers of the Sea is a such a banger.

It extremely is. Just about beats out The Escape for best music in the game in my opinion.
The theme for The Bargain is up there too but we haven't heard that one yet.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I bought this game based on episode 1 of this l.p. and enjoyed it (although I will admit to brute forcing the last few names based on process of elimination more than clues).

If I had one criticism it's that this game really needed a way to fastwarp to a specific memory.

Pine Bamboo Plum
Nov 5, 2009
Although I've heard of this game, the only reason why I started watching this LP was because I remembered you two are the ones who also did LPs for LA Noire and Driver: San Francisco years ago and I'd really enjoyed them. Since I have no patience in actually playing any sort of puzzle/investigation game, I will happily follow along and yell at my screen as necessary (there are two people in an earlier video who are way more identifiable than was stated--the cultural information the game shares is really on point).

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I spotted the bunk tags, but some of these were still a royal pain in the rear end. The associations in the pictures are definitely super helpful, though; I spent way more time than I expected looking at clothes and who is hanging out with whom at an execution.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

I spotted the bunk tags, but some of these were still a royal pain in the rear end. The associations in the pictures are definitely super helpful, though; I spent way more time than I expected looking at clothes and who is hanging out with whom at an execution.

why do the latter? The execution scene is the same scene as the sketch in the book?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

double nine posted:

why do the latter? The execution scene is the same scene as the sketch in the book?

There are some details you can see in person that aren't as apparently in the sketch. Physical features, stuff of that nature.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

double nine posted:

I was referring to that sketch, yes.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

There's a person who is plainly, plainly obvious as soon as you look at the picture the first time and it took me an embarrassingly long time to identify them. Spoiler for who it is: The helmsman. He's right there! At the helm! Idiot!!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Doctor Reynolds posted:

There's a person who is plainly, plainly obvious as soon as you look at the picture the first time and it took me an embarrassingly long time to identify them. Spoiler for who it is: The helmsman. He's right there! At the helm! Idiot!!

Further spoilers: I'm pretty sure that him and the artist are unblurred from the moment you get the book, before you even figure out how the watch works.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I feel like writing things down or quickly skimming the last video before recording the next bit might be a good idea, so you don't end up spending 5 minutes each video getting confused at the weird UI or the scenes that you've just watched

that's not intended as an insult, by the way, the breaks make it real hard to keep track of all the stuff it seems like you need to keep track of, and I think you might be able to mitigate it this way

Jen X fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 24, 2019

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
We're getting a little better at picking up the flow of the game each time, although Matt still can't remember what the loving buttons on his loving xbox controller do, so there's that. I'm putting some thought into how to manage the "back half" of the game such that something meaningful happens each video without leading him by the nose, so hopefully that won't be too painful when we get there.

In the meantime, let's have

Part 5, In Which a Monſtrous Battle is Bravely Fought and a Shocking New Perſpective is Attained

(there is some nasty audio fuzz for like 90 seconds around 40:30; we know and are sorry but the issue turns out to be in Matt's mic, so while there's no way to save this video he's looking for a replacement for the future.)

Occultatio fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 26, 2019

Pine Bamboo Plum
Nov 5, 2009
So that's interesting. I really like the switch between people dying from relatively mundane/human causes (pneumonia, execution) and by more exotic means. And I'm so happy that a previous and rather obvious identity has finally been made! Now I'm curious about why the 'Justice at Sea' sketch would be aligned with such a chapter title, and what artistic licenses were taken with the sketch (there must have been differences). There are a couple other things I want to ask about, but I'll see if they get touched upon in two weeks.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

This is where I tell you guys that New Guinea is actually part of Melanesia, rather than Polynesia :v: I believe their tattoos are culturally independent from Polynesian ones, but I guess it's close enough.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I think the lightning is my favourite scene, visually striking and containing lots of vital details for crew members.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I think the lightning is my favourite scene, visually striking and containing lots of vital details for crew members.

Boo that pun

A man died

Metroid26
Apr 17, 2018
The game missed a chance for some nice historical accuracy here. Firing line executions traditionally had only one gun loaded, with the rest having powder but no bullet, and no one knew which one. That way no one could be considered personally responsible or would have the death on their conscience. it also would have worked well with the game's system.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Just popping in to say that I got this game after watching the first video in the thread and finished it in the meantime. Extremely grateful for the tip, sad that it's over. I'll be following how you guys get through.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

Ibblebibble posted:

This is where I tell you guys that New Guinea is actually part of Melanesia, rather than Polynesia :v: I believe their tattoos are culturally independent from Polynesian ones, but I guess it's close enough.

Huh! I don't know that I'd ever heard the term Melanesia before, or even been aware that there was a distinction there in the first place. I'm fairly sure I possessed the knowledge of "New Guineans have a tradition of full-body tribal tattoos" as a fact disjunct from "New Guinea is in Polynesia," but now you have me wondering about the historical accuracy of Mabu's particular designs.

double nine posted:

Boo that pun

I see you didn't pay very close attention to the episode title, then.

Metroid26 posted:

The game missed a chance for some nice historical accuracy here. Firing line executions traditionally had only one gun loaded, with the rest having powder but no bullet, and no one knew which one. That way no one could be considered personally responsible or would have the death on their conscience. it also would have worked well with the game's system.

Interesting! Wiki suggests that it was usually only one blank rather than only one live, but that's a neat bit of trivia. It's also possible that the specific (to-be-revealed) circumstances surrounding this particular execution, none of the shooters was too weighted down by conscience.

mortons stork posted:

Just popping in to say that I got this game after watching the first video in the thread and finished it in the meantime.

It makes me incredibly happy to see so many of these posts here.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
I remember identifying the persian topman by the fact that he wielded a curved sword in one memory(one of the Soldiers of the Sea memories, I think) and it hung by his hammock in another memory(I think it's the one where the artist gets killed in The Doom). So there's often more than one way to identify a sailor, unless he's one of the chinese topmen of course, those are only identifiable by one very small clue.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow March was a terrible, terrible month! I'm more or less alive again, though, and the good news is that we were able to at least build up a bit of a backlog of episodes, so hopefully the next few updates will come a bit faster than this one,

Part 6, In Which Foul Murders Are Practiced And Workplace Safety Regulations Are Not

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Occultatio posted:

Holy wow March was a terrible, terrible month! I'm more or less alive again, though, and the good news is that we were able to at least build up a bit of a backlog of episodes, so hopefully the next few updates will come a bit faster than this one,

Part 6, In Which Foul Murders Are Practiced And Workplace Safety Regulations Are Not

Hooray! Glad to see that this isn't dead :)

Edit: I forgot how utterly infuriating it feels when watching your friend miss something really obvious :v:

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 6, 2019

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Matt posted:

Oh, Nunzio Pasqua! ...who was that?

Occultatio posted:

holy gently caress.
:allears:

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Occultatio posted:

Noticing the connection between the falling cargo death and the other one only narrows it down to two people, you need more than that to know which one is which (that's why it's 3 triangles). Matt won't have to do that because you had him do a brute force guess earlier.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

Part 7, In Which The Obra Dinn Meets Beaſts Not Part Of Their World And Its Tribulations, At Laſt, Begin

(regular update schedules are for wimps and losers)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I always look forward to this LP's updates. I know the game forward and back by now, but the aesthetic is just so good that I still want to keep enjoying it.

You're walking on water because time is frozen and nothing can move to get out of your way! So it's solid. Similar with splashes and waves blocking your path in The Doom chapter.

The Calling makes a great climax. The way this game is set up makes for great pacing for a mystery story - the climax at the end winds up corresponding with the beginning of the events, where all the big questions of how it started get answered, and all in a very natural way. This is the only mystery game I know of that doesn't have your character explaining your deductions to someone, which would be the usual way of pacing the revelations out since the game can drive the conversation in whatever way it likes. Heck, in the setup of the game, you're not even really there to figure out what happened to the Obra Dinn - you're just there to confirm the circumstances of their deaths and how it affects their insurance payouts. You could technically say your job is done without having the slightest idea why sea monsters were attacking the ship.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

"Is it this guy?"
"No, this guy is black."

Never change.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
A midshipman, specifically, is an officer-in-training, not really a 'servant' (except incidentally). A boy from the upper classes who's travelling on a ship and recieving training until they get older and can graduate to being a proper officer. They'd eventually be on command track, if they survived long enough and their career went that long.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
In the memory where the king is dying, you should take notice of his arm. Also, how did the shell end up in the hands of the mermaid when in a previous memory it was in the chest?

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
If you'll recall the guys storming the Captains cabin in the opening/final chapter opened up with the words "... lest we kick (the door) in, and take more than those shells."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That black guy is the most badass person on the ship.
I already stated that in some other thread, but just think about it:

He's a 19th century black man from america, who actually managed to be a skilled professional on a ship. Then, when hell breaks lose and a giant crab demon spikes his mate to death, he doesn't even think about running away. He grabs that fire gun, storms after the crab and torches it's face point blank while getting speared. He even delivered a freaking one liner!

Incidentally, I confused those carpenters because I thought like Occulatio implied. I saw that one person was deep in his work, while the other went out, so I figured, that the "boss" said something like "I'm busy, so please check out what's going on out there."

In contrast to badass carpenter, Nichols is a lowly cockroach.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 29, 2019

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

cant cook creole bream posted:

Incidentally, I confused those carpenters because I thought like Occulatio implied. I saw that one person was deep in his work, while the other went out, so I figured, that the "boss" said something like "I'm busy, so please check out what's going on out there."

Whereas I simply figured "Well this is an 18th century British ship, of course the black guy can't be the boss. Brilliant deduction on your part, brain, if you say so yourself !"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Kobal2 posted:

Whereas I simply figured "Well this is an 18th century British ship, of course the black guy can't be the boss. Brilliant deduction on your part, brain, if you say so yourself !"

I mean, it is really unlikely and I may have thought the same thing. He must have been extremely good at his job. Good for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

cant cook creole bream posted:

I mean, it is really unlikely and I may have thought the same thing. He must have been extremely good at his job. Good for him.

it wasn't as uncommon as you'd think. at this time in north america, new england was nearing the end of banning slavery (it varied by state, and some legislation was far more gradual than others) which made new england a magnet for free black americans. to take massachussets for example, slavery wasn't formally banned in the state until the end of the civil war, but a series of court cases in the 1780s severely undercut the legal support for human ownership in the state and by 1790 there were so few enslaved persons that none were recorded in the census

massachussets in this time period was heavily reliant on the maritime industry, whether famously whaling (though that came a bit later) and just generally shipping and shipbuilding. so naval carpentry would be a good middle class job to have at the time

further, many enslaved people would have trade skills. from the perspective of the slave owner, you can rent out your worker's labor for higher value if they can perform some more complex task, with the incentive of keeping part of their earnings. from the perspective of living in bondage, having a valuable skill is much better for your prospects than just being a general laborer. this is the process by which many people bought their own freedom and that of their families. and here again carpentry would be a good trade to learn, one that can be learned informally via apprenticeship but also is employable nearly everywhere and pays good wages

in short, if you were to find a free black american circa the year 1800 they would likely be working some sort of handicraft job in connection to a job on or related to the ocean

e: i appreciate that this game rewards knowledge of the time period and setting, for example you can identify the bosun's mate by his shirt

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 1, 2019