Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That's really interesting and I figured it was something like that. But wouldn't there still be a problem with the hierarchy? While it may have been likely for black persons to be skilled laborers, I think they would have needed to be extra good, to become foreman.

But that guy certainly earned the respect of his mate, who actually caught the spear for him.

Edit: How likely is it for an American at that time to have a thick American accent? Was that even a thing back then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Edit: How likely is it for an American at that time to have a thick American accent? Was that even a thing back then?

You could say the same for all of the accents - they'd have drifted over the centuries. But it's better to have accents identifiable to modern players than something more historically authentic.

As for the carpenter, I'm pretty sure it's deliberately playing on your expectations. You'd see a black man in 1804 and assume he's on the bottom rung somehow. But there's nothing at all in what you actually see to indicate it.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

luxury handset posted:

it wasn't as uncommon as you'd think.[/spoiler]

Yup. And one other thing to consider is that cultural racism, or cultural antisemitism, or cultural misogyny and all those good wonderful things that are of course strictly in the past now tended to be much more strongly enforced in "civilized" places - that is, urban or otherwise economically stable and prosperous settings. But when the very life of the community and its survival is on the line, it's a little less important that Bess the Record-Breaking Coal Miner is a woman, or that the best dang hunter in the village is a negro African-American man of colour. Which is sort of counter intuitive, since we tend to think of places like the Old West as being super hicks-ville, and as such super socially conservative ; but in truth the very precarity of the Old West, which made it kind of a legal free-for-all land of opportunity and/or power grabs, also made it free-er for every oppressed minority.
And, well, when the old noggin' went online, I had to admit that a sailing ship would very much have been one of those spaces at the margins where the rules of "polite society" could go hang as long as people carried their own weight, because those old tubs were stupid dangerous to live on even when there weren't any krakens flinging people about. Plus apart from the captain himself there wasn't really anybody to enforce any kind of racial, sexual or even socio-economic hierarchy onboard. The manifest doesn't even list a chaplain. There's Frenchmen running around freely on decks, possibly gingers even, it's anarchy and chaos !

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I love how these memories have slowly revealed just how strange the world the game takes place in is. A giant kraken is one thing but now we have weird lobster mermaids. I love it.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Kobal2 posted:

Yup. And one other thing to consider is that cultural racism, or cultural antisemitism, or cultural misogyny and all those good wonderful things that are of course strictly in the past now tended to be much more strongly enforced in "civilized" places - that is, urban or otherwise economically stable and prosperous settings. But when the very life of the community and its survival is on the line, it's a little less important that Bess the Record-Breaking Coal Miner is a woman, or that the best dang hunter in the village is a negro African-American man of colour. Which is sort of counter intuitive, since we tend to think of places like the Old West as being super hicks-ville, and as such super socially conservative ; but in truth the very precarity of the Old West, which made it kind of a legal free-for-all land of opportunity and/or power grabs, also made it free-er for every oppressed minority.
And, well, when the old noggin' went online, I had to admit that a sailing ship would very much have been one of those spaces at the margins where the rules of "polite society" could go hang as long as people carried their own weight, because those old tubs were stupid dangerous to live on even when there weren't any krakens flinging people about. Plus apart from the captain himself there wasn't really anybody to enforce any kind of racial, sexual or even socio-economic hierarchy onboard. The manifest doesn't even list a chaplain. There's Frenchmen running around freely on decks, possibly gingers even, it's anarchy and chaos !

There is only one thing the East India Company cares about and it's making money.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
I bet you thought we were dead, but the joke's on you: I only SOUND mostly dead here!

Part 8: Plucking of the Low-Hanging Fruit

Occultatio fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 24, 2019

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Man, the sound balance in this video means I can barely hear the dialog in the memories so far, 9 minutes in.

E: I actually prefer to say that the gunner and the other victim in that memory were shot by a beast. It's perfectly accurate, and avoids laying responsibility- misleadingly, as I think- on the person who held the spark, since his responsibility was limited to 'happened to be holding fire when a kraken grabbed him, at which point he lost all control over anything as his bones snapped'.

E again: And actually watching beyond the point I fired off a comment, I see... you brought that up. Heh.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 25, 2019

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I never expected Obra Dinn to lend itself so well to cringe humor, but holy crap, watching your friend not remember controls, not remember the plot, and not understand any of your hints or guidance until you bash him over the head with them... whew.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Your friend has the amazing ability to hover his cursor on the choice right next to the correct choice for 30 seconds, and then give up and go somewhere else.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
gently caress yeah, they're back !

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Your friend plays like I do and they are very valid.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
As an aside about one of the solutions made in this video Christian Wolff being blasted with a cannon by a Terrible Beast entirely works as an answer, and is, I would argue, way more accurate than him being blasted by Akhbar.

E: argh, that's the problem with not getting far enough ahead in the video I guess, derp.

MShadowy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 28, 2019

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
I never considered the monster as the culprit in this particular vignette, nor did I even imagine that the developer could have weighed the various possible moral choices one could apply to a situation like this and included that particular one - I simply (and implicitly, definitely not self-aware-ly) applied a mindless causalistic brand of reasoning to it all, "that guy lit the fuse ergo he was the ultimate cause of death regardless of any other context, that's what the game wants in this drop down menu".

I will now proceed to be ashamed of such a simplistic choice. But gently caress all o'y'all, you'd have thought the same thing, even if (especially if) you demonstrably did not.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder what would happen if someone were killed by 2 people at the exact same time.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Kobal2 posted:

I never considered the monster as the culprit in this particular vignette, nor did I even imagine that the developer could have weighed the various possible moral choices one could apply to a situation like this and included that particular one - I simply (and implicitly, definitely not self-aware-ly) applied a mindless causalistic brand of reasoning to it all, "that guy lit the fuse ergo he was the ultimate cause of death regardless of any other context, that's what the game wants in this drop down menu".

I will now proceed to be ashamed of such a simplistic choice. But gently caress all o'y'all, you'd have thought the same thing, even if (especially if) you demonstrably did not.

He lit the fuse. The beast aimed the cannon at the guy. The really wild part is the guy who gets blasted and disappeared without a trace technically got knocked overboard.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

xthetenth posted:

The really wild part is the guy who gets blasted and disappeared without a trace technically got knocked overboard.

Wait, what ? That works too ? I thought he'd just been vaporized by point-blank cannon. Which I'm told was even a fun thing to watch if you were a British person bored in India.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

It doesn't really fundamentally matter unfortunately other than getting a correct result.

I'd love a sequel or just another game in this system but with more consequential choices for determining causes of death. There is one special case in this game and I hope you get to it though. It's related to a certain achievement. It involves the Captain

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Xelkelvos posted:

It doesn't really fundamentally matter unfortunately other than getting a correct result.

It doesn't matter, but it does speak to the forethought of the developper/writer in deciding which choices were valid or close 'nuff to be considered correct, as opposed to returning You Can't Get Ye Flask.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
It definitely adds a lot more nuance to it; it was something I only though about post hoc though, though my answer was almost literally just running through the combination of observations about "Tentacle holding cannon and also like totally keeping Wolff from getting out in front of cannon, a situation he would not be in if !Tentacle, therefore Tentacle responsible." I only realized that you could blame Akhbar for it after reading a steam guide on the game after completing it, just to check my reasoning against theirs.

Looking at Kobal's response we both basically followed very similar lines of causal reasoning, so I'm not sure where the separation there occurred.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

MShadowy posted:

It definitely adds a lot more nuance to it; it was something I only though about post hoc though, though my answer was almost literally just running through the combination of observations about "Tentacle holding cannon and also like totally keeping Wolff from getting out in front of cannon, a situation he would not be in if !Tentacle, therefore Tentacle responsible." I only realized that you could blame Akhbar for it after reading a steam guide on the game after completing it, just to check my reasoning against theirs.

Looking at Kobal's response we both basically followed very similar lines of causal reasoning, so I'm not sure where the separation there occurred.

This is all deconstruction right now, not stuff I thought about while playing, but I suppose I figured that the monster is just, well, a big dumb monster flailing about, grasping whatever it can, certainly not knowing what a cannon is or does ; so his pointing the cannon at the two crewmen is accidental/bad luck ; whereas Akhbar purposefully lit the cannon so that the cannon would fire (even though the gunnery master tells him to hold) ergo he's the ultimate reason why sailors A and B got blown to bits instead of crushed. It's possible I also reasoned that Akhbar was responsible for changing the circumstances or their deaths from "crushed" to "exploded" (even if that only made a difference for all of 3 seconds) therefore he's directly responsible for that very specific, narrow, pedantic "ummm AKshully..." detail.

And now I wonder if the gunnery master can be made responsible :)

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

I'd love a sequel or just another game in this system but with more consequential choices for determining causes of death. There is one special case in this game and I hope you get to it though. It's related to a certain achievement. It involves the Captain

It actually kinda does matter at the end, because Abraham's family gets awarded £25 if it's determined that it's the beast's fault and gets fined £40 if Abraham is determined to be at fault.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I went with shot by the beast, just because I hadn't yet identified Akhbar when I first came to that scene.

Also it's kind of funny to imagine a Kraken deliberately waving around a cannon like a handgun.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Kobal2 posted:

This is all deconstruction right now, not stuff I thought about while playing, but I suppose I figured that the monster is just, well, a big dumb monster flailing about, grasping whatever it can, certainly not knowing what a cannon is or does ; so his pointing the cannon at the two crewmen is accidental/bad luck ; whereas Akhbar purposefully lit the cannon so that the cannon would fire (even though the gunnery master tells him to hold) ergo he's the ultimate reason why sailors A and B got blown to bits instead of crushed. It's possible I also reasoned that Akhbar was responsible for changing the circumstances or their deaths from "crushed" to "exploded" (even if that only made a difference for all of 3 seconds) therefore he's directly responsible for that very specific, narrow, pedantic "ummm AKshully..." detail.

And now I wonder if the gunnery master can be made responsible :)

The Gunner ordered him to delay the spark. And as far as we know, he did. It looks like he was already squished by the squid, when the spark in his hand happened to be touching the cannon. In that case the kraken not only aimed the cannon, she also fired it. I'm gonna assume that it's a female, and that these kraken basically work like blanket octopuses.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 28, 2019

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

cant cook creole bream posted:

The Gunner ordered him to delay the spark. And as far as we know, he did. It looks like he was already squished by the squid, when the spark in his hand happened to be touching the cannon. In that case the kraken not only aimed the cannon, she also fired it. I'm gonna assume that it's a female, and that these kraken basically work like blanket octopuses.

:allears: This thread is wonderfully educational.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

I will add my thanks for all the educational links! I will take even greater care not to piss off colonial Britain.

In the meantime, please enjoy Part 9: Ceci N'est Pas Une Pipe

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pretty sure the two Russians were the last ones I solved in my game. The pipe thing is tough to catch!

HotAndColdAF
May 30, 2011

Making Daddy proud.
Ah, yes, that popular Chinese name, O'Hagan. :raise:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

HotAndColdAF posted:

Very old family.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Continuing the part about being shot by the beast/Abraham Akhbar, I'm pretty sure there's actually another solution that works for both victims: Exploded.

I answered that the beast killed them because I hadn't figured out Akhbar's identity.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

*internal screaming*, the LP.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Ibblebibble posted:

That's every puzzle/mystery LP really.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

Tenebrais posted:

Very old family.

I appreciate this reference.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Extended duration to the communal ludonarrative endeavour !

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Ibblebibble posted:

This is the best description

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

HotAndColdAF posted:

Reversed from source, but:

"Well my father was Irish."
"And your mother?"
"Wasn't."

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

Behold, the world's least frequent LP returns once again!

Part 10: The Boys Are Back In Drown

Occultatio fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 13, 2019

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Occultatio posted:

Behold, the world's least frequent LP returns once again!

Clearly you are forgetting Virtue's Last Reward.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I believe the ship's steward tends to the passengers in the same way that the other stewards tend to the captain or his mates.

There's also a function in the book that shows you a version of the sketches which only highlights the people who are in the specified scene.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 30, 2019

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

Solitair posted:

There's also a function in the book that shows you a version of the sketches which only highlights the people who are in the specified scene.

we finally remember this exists in video: 13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iamyourking
Oct 27, 2007

Only courage in the face of doubt can lead one to the answer.
Toilet Rascal

mateo360 posted:

Clearly you are forgetting Virtue's Last Reward.

I think Luisfe's SMT: Strange Journey, ShadowCatboy's Planescape Torment, and most of all Spirit Armor's Sakura Wars have something to say.