Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

What are some films with some much lesser known sequels?

For example, did you know there were sequels to:

A Christmas Story?

The Talented Mr. Ripley?

The Rocky Horror Picture Show?

Donnie Darko?

Starship Troopers?

Easy Rider?

Mean Girls?

The Sandlot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I wouldn't call starship troopers 2 a sequel it was just a random movie that had the license slapped onto it because the studio had the rights and wanted to use them. 3 was pretty entertaining though.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Weird, I thought My Summer Story was the Christmas Story sequel but it turns out they're both the same movie just with different box art?

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I knew there was a talented Ripley sequel but it had john malkovich in it and now I find out there's a Barry pepper one too

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Phone posting so digging up posters is too much hassle but there was a lovely Lawrence of Arabia sequel called Lawrence After Arabia.

Jingle All The Way 2 starring Larry the Cable Guy

A sequel to Home Alone which was a talking dog movie called Bone Alone

Also remember those weird sequels to Jim Carrey movies which would always be about his character’s son because he went through a period of refusing to do sequels. I remember there being a Son of the Mask and Ace Ventura Jr

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Corey Feldman once tried to reinvigorate his career by making a series of Lost Boys sequels. He did 2 of them but then Corey Haim died and the whole plan fell through because they’d set him up to be a major part of the 3rd sequel.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Chrs Gry posted:

Bone Alone

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Wizard Master posted:

A Christmas Story?

Jean Shepherd made a lot of movies in the series. There was one where Ralphie got in trouble for doing a book report on an erotic novel he found in his parents' room.

Wizard Master posted:

The Rocky Horror Picture Show?

It's good. A lot of RHPS fans hate it.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I know when watching the end of Easy Rider I got the message of "Want to see more from these guys? Wait for the sequel!"

Because there needs to be a sequel to possibly include a point.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Troll got a sequel, but I don't think many people heard of it.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I legitimately can't tell if these are fake or not :psyduck:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There was straight up A Christmas Story 2 made like three years ago.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Detective No. 27 posted:

There was straight up A Christmas Story 2 made like three years ago.

Which they were very clear was the "official" sequel. Which I guess means that there were a bunch of unofficial sequels. So like Star Trek fan films but for A Christmas Story?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Mean Girls 2 is awful. It's like the writers saw the original and didn't really "get" it. They mashed in so many teen drama things together (getting paid to be a friend to someone but regretting it later, a sports game to settle things...) to make up for the fact that the plot is terrible, and it doesn't work.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The remake of Fright Night got a sequel called Fright NIght 2 that apparently from the description sounds like a hybrid of the original Fright NIght, original Fright NIght 2 and something else.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
There are a lot of American Pie sequels.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

if you squint, Land of the Dead is really a sequel to the 90s Super Mario Bros movie, with luigi facing off against koopa alone in a world where the goombas have gone feral

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Joust posted:

I don't even know if they're really sequels or part of the American Pie Cinematic Universe. You have all those direct to video things, then after about a decade or so of those they brought back most the original cast for the theatrical sequels. Not sure if they ever address one in the other or not outside of 'this kid is a Stiffler' and 'We got Jim's Dad to be involved for some reason, and Shermanator is here.'

There's a guy who does horror movie reviews every year, and I'm surprised with all the Amityville, Howling and Children of the Corn movies that got made.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Ace Ventura Pet Detective

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Bruce Almighty has a 200 million dollar sequel that was originally written as an unrelated movie but the producers saw "hey this is kind of bibley, we can make it a sequel to Bruce Almighty", but then Jim Carrey didn't wanna do it, so they made it about Steve Carrell, the news anchor from the first movie building an arc because a dam is about to burst, like in the Bible.

Anyway people saw it but quickly forgot about it. Then also forgot about the first movie, until they are reminded that yeah, that sure is a movie that exists.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Joust posted:

I really think Eugene Levy can't say no to a role but he's fan-loving-tastic on Schitt's Creek. Anyway...

The Rage: Carrie 2 (1999)
They wanted Sissy Spacek to make a cameo even though she dies in the original

Carlito's way had a prequel

American Psycho 2 with Mila Kunis for some reason

Grudgerm
May 4, 2012

by Reene
Psycho 2

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wizard Master posted:

A Christmas Story?

Donnie Darko?

I have seen both of these.

S. Darko was very, very stupid, and a very, very stupid "friend" of mine loved it and made me watch it.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
There's a movie called Spaceballs 2 The Search for More Merchandising but Mel Brooks won't make it

E: there was also a Beetlejuice 2 in the works but they had to cancel it after that bridge got hosed up by an idiot

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I love in S Darko when they sleep underneath a highway enbankment, because that is something road tripping teenage girls totally do.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Sponge Baathist posted:

There's a movie called Spaceballs 2 The Search for More Merchandising but Mel Brooks won't make it

I believe you mean Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money .

And Mel Brooks hasn't made it because he isn't just going to do it for money...

...he's doing it for a SHITLOAD OF MONEY!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Christmas Vacation 2. Somehow it failed to capture the magic of the original.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Slap Shot 2, staring Steven Baldwin and the Hanson Brothers.
Slap Shot 3, staring the Hanson brothers who are now all in their 60s and still playing minor league hockey.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

rodbeard posted:

I wouldn't call starship troopers 2 a sequel it was just a random movie that had the license slapped onto it because the studio had the rights and wanted to use them.

This probably describes 80% of the movies ITT

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
The Two Jakes, a 1990 sequel to Chinatown directed by Jack Nicholson

It’s fine.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Schweinhund posted:

Christmas Vacation 2. Somehow it failed to capture the magic of the original.

That movie is the reason Randy is on the run from bounty hunters.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

A made-for-TV sequel to a ribald comedy should be a perfect formula right?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Drive-Thru Salad Bar posted:

quote:

Navin Johnson sets out to travel to Los Angeles to attend the wedding of his pen pal, Marie, but is sidetracked by the leader of a gang of hobos who takes him to Las Vegas when learning of Navin's skill at playing cards.

lol what?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Sponge Baathist posted:

E: there was also a Beetlejuice 2 in the works but they had to cancel it after that bridge got hosed up by an idiot

the one where beetlejuice goes to the Carribean for some reason? Also I think I know which bridge you mean but I'm not certain, I hadn't heard that it was shitcanned. Again.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Drive-Thru Salad Bar posted:

saw this, said "fuuuuuuck you" out loud

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

All the tremors movies are amazing.

Haven't seen that Ripley movie in the OP, but Ripleys Game was decent

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
They made a 2nd SLC Punk

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011