Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hi, sorry if this should go in another thread, I skimmed, but didn't find anything.

I've been in and out of college for most of my 20's, coasting by on retail work, but it looks like finishing university might be out of my reach financially. What's a good way to get into a decently paying career at my age, starting with very few concrete marketable skills?

I'm in my late 20's now. I can write fairly well, have decent physical stamina, can speak Spanish passably and am very willing to learn new things. I've started teaching myself coding and Chinese but I'm still in the VERY early stages of learning python. Going back to community college for a certificate in something isn't out of the question. The one big issue that could affect things is my poor mental health.
I'm at a crossroads and really don't want to give into despair right now.

What should I look into, career wise? What are good first steps to take? What have I maybe aged out of and what should I not bother with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hi! Thanks for the responses and encouragement everyone.

Pudding Space posted:

Another thing to remember is that late 20's feel 'catastrophic' to you. I'm in my early 40s, and the older I get, the more convinced I am that no-one really knows what they're doing. The sooner you come to terms with that the better. It's a far better position than waking up at 65 and realising that you've hated your life. Yes, you will have lovely days no matter how 'perfect' the job is, but don't lose sight of the fact that you don't even remember the first gulf war. Or VHS tapes.

Jim Long-un posted:

Definitely this. My 20s were a horrid period for me, but I'm 31 now, and ever since I turned 30 everything has been looking up substantially - with more life experience and personal development under my belt, I've found direction and security and carved out my own psychological space in the world. It's not perfect, I still have further to go before I truly feel like I'm safely headed towards establishment, but the 31st year of my life has been far better than every year of my 20s. And this is a trend I see very commonly among friends and acquaintances, a lot of people feel utterly buried and lost in their 20s, and worry that they're failing at life. The notion that you're supposed to have your career, family, and love life sorted before 30 is utter horseshit, at least among millennials. Don't think you're a dropout buddy, figuring out life takes as long as it takes.

My worry with my age is more that I'm actually starting something new from scratch, with no experience, only a year or two shy of thirty. I feel like potential employers will look down on that, and that they'll perceive it as laziness, unreliability or stupidity, and go for someone younger.

fantastic in plastic posted:

As a concrete answer to your "decently paying job for a late 20-something with no specialized training" question:

As a less concrete answer to the other questions:

I found this very helpful, thank you! What would be a good way to put the my strengths onto a resume, especially when there's no real work experience aside from mostly unrelated retail stuff involved? Getting my foot in the door feels very daunting and confusing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you are really down with physical labor I suggest some sort of equipment/vehicle technician. The market is very strong for these jobs, and you require limited advanced certification if you work your way up. You get to do some problem solving and work with both your hands and your mind. The pay is quite decent. The downside is that there is not a lot of opportunity for advancement and burnout is pretty high.

But yeah, you really have to start off with a what do you want to do and what are you good at
I would like something with some potential to move up, however, I will look into it. How easy is it to get a foot in the door of the industry?

sparkmaster posted:

I think the first thing to start with, as others have said, is what do you want to do? It's cliche, but what would you like to be doing 10, 20 years down the road? Do you like the outdoors? Are you a "people" person, etc?

That's a part of the problem. What I always wanted to do was academic research. When I realized that that was never happening, I settled on teaching. However, if I can't finish university (highly likely), that's not a possibility.

I do enjoy talking to people and get along with others pretty well. I've considered sales or something similar, but I'm not very confident in my ability to persuade other people to buy a product.

Ideally, I would like to do something involving writing, but I'm having a hard time thinking of writing based careers that aren't gig work, or, if there are things out there, how I would get started in the field.