Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Hey folks! This is a general discussion thread for Liberi Gothica Games, such as Breakfast Cult, Fellowship, Final Bid, Inverse World, and Panic at the Dojo. I wrote all of those except for Breakfast Cult and Inverse World Accelerated, which are both written by Ettin.

Breakfast Cult
is a Fate Accelerated game about mystery, cosmic horror, and high school drama. Play students at the world's best occult school as they solve mysteries, uncover the terrible secrets of the Ancient Ones, and try to find which of their classmates is conspiring against them before it's too late!

Breakfast Cult has several expansions available.

Fellowship
is a game about a journey through a world built cooperatively by every player involved. The goal of this journey is to stop some terrible evil, bent on destroying the world you all love, the world you've all built together. Each hero is from a different culture and defines the culture they come from, and fully defines their peoples' place in the world.

Fellowship has several expansions available.

Final Bid
is my most recent game, and uses a unique auction-based bidding mechanic to determine how the game plays out. Final Bid has several settings to play in, including Gritty Western, Spy Thriller, and Sci Fi Horror. The game is designed for single-session play, similar to Fiasco, where each game session creates its own self-contained story.

Final Bid is now available for sale.

Panic at the Dojo
is an action-packed tactical combat RPG, focused on balanced yet highly customizable Stance-based character building. Basically, imagine if the Jackie Chan Adventures cartoon was a documentary, and also a tactical combat focused tabletop game.

Inverse World
is a Dungeon World setting expansion, with 9 new playbooks that play well together, without needing any other playbooks to go with them. It is set in Invells, a world inside a hollow Earth, where a sun god lives in a golden cage in the center and orbiting islands support human-like life. It is also available as a Fate Accelerated game.

Inverse World is my largest Dungeon World expansion, but it is far from my only one. You can find all my Dungeon World playbooks here.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I did not know that you had several expansion playbooks for Fellowship and now I'm that much more excited for my next Fellowship game.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Ground Floor! Breakfast Cult is the only non D&D game I've gotten my D&D group to play. But, I pitched it for Halloween one shot, and they loved it. Now, it's a Halloween tradition to play a new spooky game.

So, thanks for the last three Halloweens of spooky gaming!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Big recommendation for Panic at the Dojo. I really like the way that combat plays out and it's really hard to make a character that doesn't have a cool mechanical niche.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
How goes "The Horizon"?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Play Fellowship you cretins

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Capfalcon posted:

Ground Floor! Breakfast Cult is the only non D&D game I've gotten my D&D group to play. But, I pitched it for Halloween one shot, and they loved it. Now, it's a Halloween tradition to play a new spooky game.

So, thanks for the last three Halloweens of spooky gaming!

This is good to hear! I'm glad that you enjoyed Breakfast Cult and it inspired you to try other games :buddy:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

How goes "The Horizon"?

It's on the backburner while I finish up Final Bid, but Inverse Fellowship will be my next book after that. That will be a Fellowship book with four new playbooks, a Ship playbook that the fellowship shares control of, and the Horizon, an alternative to The Overlord playbook. Also, setting details for playing in the Inverse World.

I assume you know this since you're asking about it, but I posted a preview for the Horizon in the last thread, so I should post it again in here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/iupstnb353cc1bt/The+Horizon.pdf

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 21, 2019

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Inverse World is totally awesome and it's been perfect as a "where to go next" game after weaning people off of d20 with Dungeon World as well as just a great game to run with people who have a wider experience in different types of TRPGs.

Also Fellowship looks super great, but so far we haven't managed to get a game going yet. Someday!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Man, I've heard a lot of bad things about Dungeon World. But Inverse World sounds cool... I'm torn.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

paradoxGentleman posted:

Man, I've heard a lot of bad things about Dungeon World. But Inverse World sounds cool... I'm torn.

Inverse World fixes a lot of the bad things about Dungeon World imo. It does keep the six stats, HP and damage dice which aren't inherently bad, but they definitely feel like relics of D&D compared to how some other PbtA games handle things. The Drives and Unique Playbook Customization Options are all miles better than picking a Race and Alignment. And in general the playbooks are allowed to be more focused and unique in IW compared to DW because they aren't trying to emulate the original D&D classes which ended up feeling generic and lacking personality in Dungeon World.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Potsticker posted:

Inverse World fixes a lot of the bad things about Dungeon World imo. It does keep the six stats, HP and damage dice which aren't inherently bad, but they definitely feel like relics of D&D compared to how some other PbtA games handle things. The Drives and Unique Playbook Customization Options are all miles better than picking a Race and Alignment. And in general the playbooks are allowed to be more focused and unique in IW compared to DW because they aren't trying to emulate the original D&D classes which ended up feeling generic and lacking personality in Dungeon World.

The six stats, HP, damage dice, and Defy Danger are inherently bad. Inverse World is still very good and much better than Dungeon World.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sorry, that may have been too much hand-wringing on my part. I don't think that them existing is bad, but I do think they're a poor fit for what Inverse World is as a game and feel like they're only a part because it comes from Dungeon World and through that, Dungeons and Dragons.

But it sounds silly to say "Having six stats is bad" because that removes all context for _why_ it's bad.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

paradoxGentleman posted:

If you prefer Fate, there is a Fate Accelerated edition of Inverse World available. And if you're not a fan of that either, then like I said a little up-thread, my next Fellowship project is going to be an Inverse World setting book with new playbooks and an alternate Overlord.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have (but haven’t read) Inverse World and I want to play with it. I’m tempted to guide my players into a transition to IW, but I don’t know if that’s too railroady. Also I should probably ask them first.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

gnome7 posted:

If you prefer Fate, there is a Fate Accelerated edition of Inverse World available. And if you're not a fan of that either, then like I said a little up-thread, my next Fellowship project is going to be an Inverse World setting book with new playbooks and an alternate Overlord.

This sounds rad as hell. Are you going to rework/repurpose any of the original IW playbooks for it? Or is Fellowship too different for that to work?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

gnome7 posted:

The FAE version is good as hell if you ask me but every time it comes up I remember some changes I want to make now that I've done more game dev :ohdear:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Jimmeeee posted:

This sounds rad as hell. Are you going to rework/repurpose any of the original IW playbooks for it? Or is Fellowship too different for that to work?

Yep, the four new playbooks are all repurposed from IW's dungeon world playbooks. They are the Angel, the Collector, the Lantern, and the Rain, based on the Sky Dancer, Collector, Lantern, and Rainlord, respectively.

The Golem isn't appearing because it already heavily inspired The Constructed, which is already in Fellowship. The Survivor and the Walker have some of their moves sprinkled amongst the new playbooks, and also have a lot of their DNA in the Dwarf, Pair, and Spider playbooks already. And The Captain is made partially redundant by The Ship, which is unofficially available already and will be officially released with Inverse Fellowship.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I'm excited to see Inverse World for Fellowship, since the biggest reason why my in-person tabletop group is more interested in Dungeon World right now is there's just a lot more playbooks to mess around with. With another few to pick from I think I'll be able to sway them to give it a shot for something ongoing which should be a lot of fun. Our usual GM is really interested by the Overlord stuff and I think would have a lot of fun with it.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Ohh man, the Ship makes me want to put together a Crimson Permanent Assurance-type Fellowship game now.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Please can we have some advancement rules for Panic at the Dojo? I've seen several tactical-type groups who would love it but they balk at the idea of being unable to play characters that evolve through a campaign.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Yeah I should probably add advancement rules as an expansion book at some point here. It will be a bit before I do anything with PatD, it was a whole lot of work for relatively little gain, economically speaking. Part of why the game lacks an advancement system is because of the tenuous level of balance the game has, which I worked very hard to keep roughly even, and numbers going up makes that even harder with how small the number scaling is. Advancement was too difficult to implement while also keeping the game as smooth as it currently is, so it had to go for me to get it out in any form at all.

I've had a few ideas for how I might staple advancement on top of the game but it's going to be quite a lot of work and I am perfectly content to put off on starting that work until I get a few other books out and I've got a bit more of a money cushion to live off of. It isn't something I have time for right now, unfortunately.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I'm assuming ues, but will there be new set pieces in Inverse Fellowship? I loved how there was one included with each new expansion playbook. The Fellowship expansions were so much fun- new playbook, new threats, new destiny and new set piece.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Yes, there will be new set pieces related to the various threats of Invells, like the Worldeater, the Golden Cage, and the Sleeping Guardians. And of course, new Destinies for each of the new playbooks, too.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

gnome7 posted:

Yep, the four new playbooks are all repurposed from IW's dungeon world playbooks. They are the Angel, the Collector, the Lantern, and the Rain, based on the Sky Dancer, Collector, Lantern, and Rainlord, respectively.

The Golem isn't appearing because it already heavily inspired The Constructed, which is already in Fellowship. The Survivor and the Walker have some of their moves sprinkled amongst the new playbooks, and also have a lot of their DNA in the Dwarf, Pair, and Spider playbooks already. And The Captain is made partially redundant by The Ship, which is unofficially available already and will be officially released with Inverse Fellowship.

No Mechanic? I has a sad.

(But seriously this sounds very cool and I am super excited for it!)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The Skydancer is one of my favorites, so I'm glad to see that's getting a book for Fellowship.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
After running a bad session of PatD for which I put the blame fully on myself, we did come up with a couple questions.

Is forced movement governed by the same move cost rules as speed token movement? The biggest case we were unsure on was wether diagonal throws cost 1 or 2 per space.

Throwing PCs out also seemed like a very powerful tactic for stooges. Since it effectively removes someone for the rest of the round. Am I missing something here?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

DalaranJ posted:

After running a bad session of PatD for which I put the blame fully on myself, we did come up with a couple questions.

Is forced movement governed by the same move cost rules as speed token movement? The biggest case we were unsure on was wether diagonal throws cost 1 or 2 per space.

Only speed tokens cost extra for diagonal movement. All other movement lets you move 8 directions at will, one space per space.

quote:

Throwing PCs out also seemed like a very powerful tactic for stooges. Since it effectively removes someone for the rest of the round. Am I missing something here?

Throwing people out of bounds is intended to be a powerful strategy. I am not sure why you think stooges are better at it than anyone else, though. Each stooge can only take 1 action maximum each turn, so their ability to do most things is fairly limited.

The other thing you might be missing is that being out of bounds doesn't remove your turn, even if you aren't there to take it. You still pick a stance and roll some dice, then you hand those dice to someone who is in play to spend for you. They don't get to change stance, either, so this can lead to situations where a stance gets numbers it normally never could, like a Power Form stance with Shadow Form dice. Every side gets an equal number of turns per round, even after units start getting taken out.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Panic at the Dojo rules question! Can you put clones, traps, etc on an enemy with the Vehicle archetype?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I had not considered that corner case! I don't see why not, that sounds like the more fun thing to have happen so its what should happen.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gnome7 posted:

Throwing people out of bounds is intended to be a powerful strategy. I am not sure why you think stooges are better at it than anyone else, though. Each stooge can only take 1 action maximum each turn, so their ability to do most things is fairly limited.

It was probably a misconception on my part. I was relying on multiple stooge groups in that battle.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If somebody gets thrown out can you use an action to grab them as they fly out of the ring then spin them by their feet and knock over a bunch of enemies :v:

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Hey, I had some questions about Fellowship:

Does the Squire's Fast Friends move let them have more than one bond with the Harbinger or does the latter's Doom and Gloom supersede it?

Is the Squire able to Command Lore about Generals they have bonds with, or are they off-limits like the Overlord is?

I don't remember seeing answers for these in the book, but it's been a while since I last read through it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The Squire can have infinite bonds with everybody, even the Harbinger or The Giant or other playbooks that limit that. And yes the Squire can command lore about generals they form bonds with.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
:toot:

https://twitter.com/Veliministriari/status/1092362099744038912

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
For no good reason that I can think of, I dreamt that I was trying to run a Fellowship set piece that involved helping a giant run a cruise ship's entertainment programme.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

GimpInBlack posted:

No Mechanic? I has a sad.

(But seriously this sounds very cool and I am super excited for it!)

I have no self control so Inverse Fellowship has two more playbooks now: The Tinker and The Beast. And also there's a lot of robot stuff in it now, so the Constructed will also be reprinted in this book. It's already Inverse World's Golem playbook, after all.

The Tinker is heavily inspired by the Mechanic, but to help differentiate it from the Collector and the Golem, it's a little swashbuckley. It takes a few notes from Inverse World's Captain, and shares the Iron stat with the Dwarf, although the Tinker uses it to represent their Battle Suit. Tinkers are people like gnomes and goblins and other tech-heavy folk.

The Beast is wholly new, although it does share a little DNA with the Survivor and the Walker. They have the ability to go all in in a way few other playbooks can.

Also while I'm here, anyone who backed Final Bid should have the final PDF now! I am waiting for DTRPG's print processing before doing a general public release, but that should be coming soon.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 10, 2019

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm just more Curious than anything, but did you ever finish the specialized set of Mage classes for Dungeon world? Because I remember you didn't like how OP the Mage class was so you were splitting it up into separate classes.

I don't even intend to play them even though it seems I bought all the ones that are out, I'm just curious if you ever finished them out of idle interest.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The five that are out are all the ones I made. I was planning to make a DEX based one too, either storms or shadows and had a bit written up for both, but never got too far with em. And I'm well past going back to dungeon world stuff at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
Your dungeon world playbooks are my actual favorite of all time.