Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

gnome7 posted:

I have no self control so Inverse Fellowship has two more playbooks now: The Tinker and The Beast. And also there's a lot of robot stuff in it now, so the Constructed will also be reprinted in this book. It's already Inverse World's Golem playbook, after all.

The Tinker is heavily inspired by the Mechanic, but to help differentiate it from the Collector and the Golem, it's a little swashbuckley. It takes a few notes from Inverse World's Captain, and shares the Iron stat with the Dwarf, although the Tinker uses it to represent their Battle Suit. Tinkers are people like gnomes and goblins and other tech-heavy folk.

The Beast is wholly new, although it does share a little DNA with the Survivor and the Walker. They have the ability to go all in in a way few other playbooks can.

Also while I'm here, anyone who backed Final Bid should have the final PDF now! I am waiting for DTRPG's print processing before doing a general public release, but that should be coming soon.

Hooray! I was already super excited for this, and now I'm at least 10 times more excited for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Will purchasing Inverse Fellowship kick some money towards Mikan or is that just the initial Inverse World book?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Just the original book. Mikan isn't back in the industry or anything, and won't be doing any work on Inverse Fellowship. Maybe if I were in less dire financial straits I'd pass some of the proceeds along to her in solidarity, but... Man I'm poor.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

gnome7 posted:

Just the original book. Mikan isn't back in the industry or anything, and won't be doing any work on Inverse Fellowship. Maybe if I were in less dire financial straits I'd pass some of the proceeds along to her in solidarity, but... Man I'm poor.

Gotcha. Then I'll PDF Inverse World and hardcopy Inverse Fellowship at some point. Want to support both of y'all.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just remembered that I got a coupon for a discount of the physical Fellowship book way back when the Kickstarter rewards were distributed. I forgot to use it. PM me if you want to.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Panic at the Dojo is on daily DTRPG sale right now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Does anyone have a link to particularly good* recordings of people playing Fellowship? I'm starting a game in a few days and wouldn't mind something to supplement the book itself in order to prep. A lot of stuff like the spotlight and cuts are pretty basic for someone familiar running player-driven games but having something to contextualize all of this would be nice. Either way I'm excited to give things a whirl!

Also my group is pretty small right now (3 players and me), and most of them are sorta timid and quite new to RPGs - their only experience is the two months of Strike we've played until now. Are there any playbooks that should be avoided in a group that small or which might be problematic with less vocal players?

*"good" as in "generally adheres to RAW and could help teach" rather than "is super funny and entertaining", not that the latter is bad of course

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 17, 2019

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Countblanc posted:

Does anyone have a link to particularly good* recordings of people playing Fellowship? I'm starting a game in a few days and wouldn't mind something to supplement the book itself in order to prep. A lot of stuff like the spotlight and cuts are pretty basic for someone familiar running player-driven games but having something to contextualize all of this would be nice. Either way I'm excited to give things a whirl!

Also my group is pretty small right now (3 players and me), and most of them are sorta timid quite new to RPGs - their only experience is the two months of Strike we've played until now. Are there any playbooks that should be avoided in a group that small or which might be problematic with less vocal players?

*"good" as in "generally adheres to RAW and could help teach" rather than "is super funny and entertaining", not that the latter is bad of course

http://www.sixfeatsunder.com/ is pretty much the Official Fellowship Podcast

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Awesome, thanks. Also weird question - when I first read through the Fellowship manual a while back I remember thinking that there was some part which said the fellowship must have an Heir. Did my imagination completely make that up? Because I didn't see that while rereading it yesterday.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Nope. Often the heir will lead the fellowship if they’re in it, but that’s not the same.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Quick question, what typefaces are used in Panic at the Dojo?

I think the numbering on the dice symbols is Anime Ace, though I was wondering about the rest, especially the "Action Dice" text on the Forms sheets since that doesn't seem to be the same as the dice symbols.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 20, 2019

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Hey folks! Final Bid is now available for sale! I've had several people compare it positively to Fiasco, so please check it out.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Quick question, what typefaces are used in Panic at the Dojo?

I think the numbering on the dice symbols is Anime Ace, though I was wondering about the rest, especially the "Action Dice" text on the Forms sheets since that doesn't seem to be the same as the dice symbols.

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been at my computer with the raw files in about a week. Been busy with other things.

The numbers on the dice are indeed Anime Ace. The "Action Dice" text on the forms sheet is a similar font called Digital Strip.

The entire rest of the book is in good ol' Arial. I was doing enough fancy stuff with the color coding that I figured a plain font would work best.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I’m really enjoying my read through of Final Bid. I do have one question so far, is it feasible to deal harm against the narrator, and if so what forms would that take?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

DalaranJ posted:

I’m really enjoying my read through of Final Bid. I do have one question so far, is it feasible to deal harm against the narrator, and if so what forms would that take?

Okay, so there's this part in Into the Woods...

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

DalaranJ posted:

I imagine most of the time, the narrator won't be in the line of fire to be harmed. But if it makes sense that you could, there's nothing stopping it. I am not sure what forms it would take, either - the other Directors are much more in-play than the Narrator is.

In other news, I put up an itch.io store front today, so if you want to buy one of my big games in PDF, you can do that there now.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
Read some up on Inverse World. I love the Fellowship group I did (but didn't complete), so I'm sure Inverse World has something for me and I'd love to support you.

Are the new playbooks in printable version in the book or are there supplemental character sheets out there a la Fellowship?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The playbooks are in a second downloadable file on DTRPG, so if you got the book through there, that's where you can go to download em. There is also a tinyurl link in the book to download the playbooks. I don't remember if its also in the playbooks chapter or not, but it is definitely in the table of contents.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

We have a ongoing question in my fellowship game. Does “fill your belly” happen between scenes or does it allow time to pass and the overlord to continue their plans?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Golden Bee posted:

We have a ongoing question in my fellowship game. Does “fill your belly” happen between scenes or does it allow time to pass and the overlord to continue their plans?

The former. It happens between scenes and is not a downtime thing.

It is very directly 4e's Healing Surges but as part of your gear.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

So I'm considering getting more Fellowship content (the Pair, to be precise) but I don't remember Something. What does it mean that they are a powerful playbook?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Powerful playbooks have three major distinctions from basic playbooks.

1) They aren't basic playbooks, so moves that let you take a move from a basic playbook can't take moves from powerful playbooks. Their moves are usually a little more powerful, too.

2) They can't take a Destiny playbook. Instead, they have 12 Advances instead of the usual 7, one of which makes them a Threat to the World, and a couple which let them take Destiny moves. They start a little stronger than other playbooks but never get to reach quite the heights of a player with access to a full Destiny.

3) They have some limits on their ability to make Bonds, which varies by playbook. Their inherent power makes them unapproachable and difficult to connect with.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
Hey Gnome! I think i've convinced some friends to join me in an online campaign for Fellowship and I'm super excited, but I have some questions.

Is it possible to get Form Fillable playbooks? The print are obviously nice, but it will make it harder to know what traits / moves / details the players have chosen. I don't know if these exist, I couldn't find them on Drivethru.

Also, I'm planning to play a group of 3 characters + an airship, does the Fellowship ALWAYS get an airship for a base or is it up to the DM's discresion / if it makes sense in the world? I notice in Winter's Tale, the Pumpkin patch is awesome, but I don't know if it's just an expected thing.

I'm still a little confused on combat in regards to damaging stats (from gangs -> groups) against enemies or players. Is there a tactile example in the rules or in the Podcast I can follow? I think i'm looking for a good example to help me as a DM since I'm used to DND 5e hitpoints and such.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Speaking of damaged stats and the podcast, I've listened to a few episodes now and a couple times players have erased Bonds in order to heal a point of damage from an ally. I can't find this anywhere in the Bond moves, am I just missing it?

Also regarding Generals, in general (hehehehe) what's worth making a General versus just a noteworthy named NPC? My Overlord is using the Organization army style and based on the fact that you only start with a single General I assume you wouldn't have all 8-12 members of your organization as Generals.

My group did character creation last week and our first session is tonight, so fingers crossed it goes well.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

OfChristandMen posted:

Hey Gnome! I think i've convinced some friends to join me in an online campaign for Fellowship and I'm super excited, but I have some questions.

Is it possible to get Form Fillable playbooks? The print are obviously nice, but it will make it harder to know what traits / moves / details the players have chosen. I don't know if these exist, I couldn't find them on Drivethru.

Also, I'm planning to play a group of 3 characters + an airship, does the Fellowship ALWAYS get an airship for a base or is it up to the DM's discresion / if it makes sense in the world? I notice in Winter's Tale, the Pumpkin patch is awesome, but I don't know if it's just an expected thing.

I'm still a little confused on combat in regards to damaging stats (from gangs -> groups) against enemies or players. Is there a tactile example in the rules or in the Podcast I can follow? I think i'm looking for a good example to help me as a DM since I'm used to DND 5e hitpoints and such.

The form fillable playbooks should be attached to whatever expansion they are in. If you check your DTRPG library, the fellowship core book should have like 20 files, 8 of which are form fillable PDFs.

The Ship doesn't need to be an airship, that's just one of the options on the playbook. It can be all sorts of other things, like a walking castle, a train, a submarine, or a drill tank. You can find the To Winter's End draft of the ship here.

Damage to players is pretty simple. When they suffer harm, physical or emotional, you can tell them they take damage. The player picks one of their stats, and marks it. When they roll with a marked stat, they roll with Despair. If they take damage while all of their stats are already damaged, they get taken out.

Damage to threats works similarly, but their damage doesn't give them Despair. Instead, it takes away their moves. So if you damage a Varg, the Overlord picks one of the Varg's two moves and removes it. The Varg no longer has that move, unless they get healed somehow. It's just gone, and they must go the rest of the fight without it. When their last move is damaged, they get Taken Out.

The one exception to this is the Piercing tag, which lets the attacker choose the stat that gets damaged instead of the defender. So a player with Piercing can choose which of the Varg's stats to damage, and an enemy with Piercing can just say "I damage your Blood stat" or whatever.

If you are fighting a Gang of Vargs, the Gang is immediately defeated if their Gang stat becomes damaged, and they get replaced by two Groups. In practice, a single enemy is a reasonable fight, a Group is a hard fight, a Gang is near-insurmountable, and an Army needs to be avoided at all costs. Gangs and Armies are very difficult and time-consuming for the players to fight and will eat up a lot of resources if the fellowship tries to take them head on, and they are very likely to lose if they try. I recommend you only use Gangs or Armies if you want to completely cut off direct confrontation as an option.

Countblanc posted:

Speaking of damaged stats and the podcast, I've listened to a few episodes now and a couple times players have erased Bonds in order to heal a point of damage from an ally. I can't find this anywhere in the Bond moves, am I just missing it?

Also regarding Generals, in general (hehehehe) what's worth making a General versus just a noteworthy named NPC? My Overlord is using the Organization army style and based on the fact that you only start with a single General I assume you wouldn't have all 8-12 members of your organization as Generals.

My group did character creation last week and our first session is tonight, so fingers crossed it goes well.

Removing a bond to heal someone is one of the Squire Custom moves, so that's just Yuria doing the thing she's good at. Nobody else can do that.

The main advantage of a general is that they are a Threat to the World and have access to the Overlord Basic Moves, including Heart of Iron and Twist The Knife. Players have to pay a price just to take action against them, and the overlord basic moves give them some really powerful abilities to take advantage of. The Overlord doesn't need very many generals, because each general is basically another arm of the Overlord that lets them spread their influence further.

Generals still die to a 10+ Finish Them, though, so if you want them to stick around and be a solid threat, you should give them minions, be stingy with giving Advantage over a General, and make aggressive use of the Overlord Basic Moves.

Good luck with your games, both of you!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Great, thanks for the clarifications. And I think it went pretty well! My plan was for the players to go through a snowy mountain pass (chased by whatever they conjured up with The Chase starter questions) on their way to a village under siege by some of the Overlord's organization, looking for an artifact used to grant life to autonomous creatures.

... But it was declared that the "obstacle around the corner" was a very pretty, very magical tree that ensnared anyone who laid eyes on it with its beauty. Naturally this infuriated our Orc who was moments away from torching it until the Halfling convinced him not to... and instead it was uprooted, hoisted onto the Elf's throne, and used as what was effectively a magical laser pointer by the Constructed to mesmerize a mining expedition who are now their companions. Now they plan on paying said miners with the tree itself in exchange for their cooperation with finding the artifact buried in the mountain somewhere.

All and all, a great success.

e: actually question on how gear works - when players try to do things with gear does it just Happen or are they still using a move? like our Spider had a pit trap and wanted to banish some trolls chasing them into a ditch, and in the interest of keeping momentum I just said it worked (expending a use of the gear), but I wasn't sure if that would have still needed a roll or not.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 7, 2019

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
That's correct and how pit traps are supposed to work, yes. There's nothing stopping the ogres from climbing out of the pit eventually, though. As long as you set it in advance, traps work automatically (except on Set Pieces and Threats to the World, which are immune to them).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Great, thanks. One last question, how in advance is "in advance" for the Spider? Like are webs and such supposed to be set up a few hours beforehand, like setting up traps in a room you know you'll be having a tense meeting with one of the Overlord's agents in the next day, or can they be set up during the same scene, just a few spotlight-hops earlier?

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
Thanks for the Damage recap, that's super helpful! My last run of this failed before we got heavy into combat, and I'm excited to try again.

gnome7 posted:

The Ship doesn't need to be an airship, that's just one of the options on the playbook. It can be all sorts of other things, like a walking castle, a train, a submarine, or a drill tank. You can find the To Winter's End draft of the ship here.

I guess my question didn't come across well. Does the Fellowship need a ship / base of operations? I understand it's a super sweet playbook. Last time we had a Warp Drive ship because The Elf was a Space elf and there were only 3 players. My intuition with my new group was to do 3 + A ship, but I was wondering if 4 + A Ship would be too crowded?

Should they get the Ship immediately or after a session? Just wondering, I'm sure either could work up.

Finally, Does the ship get to level up like a player? In the "End of Session" it says the Overlord and the Players can choose a "player' to level up. Does the ship have to be chosen if everyone else is level 2?

Thanks again!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Have them earn their ship. It'll mean more.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Countblanc posted:

Great, thanks. One last question, how in advance is "in advance" for the Spider? Like are webs and such supposed to be set up a few hours beforehand, like setting up traps in a room you know you'll be having a tense meeting with one of the Overlord's agents in the next day, or can they be set up during the same scene, just a few spotlight-hops earlier?

Both of those examples are fine. "In advance" just means "before you can use them," so "I take the time to set up my webs" is a perfectly valid use of the spotlight so they can use their webs later in the scene.

OfChristandMen posted:

I guess my question didn't come across well. Does the Fellowship need a ship / base of operations? ... My intuition with my new group was to do 3 + A ship, but I was wondering if 4 + A Ship would be too crowded?

Should they get the Ship immediately or after a session? Just wondering, I'm sure either could work up.

Finally, Does the ship get to level up like a player? In the "End of Session" it says the Overlord and the Players can choose a "player' to level up. Does the ship have to be chosen if everyone else is level 2?

Ah, yes I had misunderstood. No, they don't need a ship. The ship is extremely optional, especially against the Overlord. The Overlord is built on the assumption that travel is kinda difficult. It doesn't require this assumption to function, but no, the Ship was made for the Horizon, and the fact it can be back-ported to work in an Overlord campaign is just a fun bonus.

So yeah make them earn their ship, unless having a cool ship is part of the core concept your group is rolling with.

And yes the ship does level up like a player, and must be chosen by the Overlord or the Players to receive a level up. It doesn't have to be chosen if it is the lowest level playbook, though - it isn't a player and doesn't have needs or wants like real people do.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Oh, also

https://twitter.com/Veliministriari/status/1106673961805496322

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
drat it, and here I finally ordered a physical copy of Fellowship just last week. Oh well, super psyched for all this new Fellowship stuff, can't wait for the KS!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Ouch, sorry about that. I literally just disabled physical book sales this morning for that exact reason.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
yay this time I can get in on it from the start instead of being late to the party

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Hey, this means I can finally justify buying a physical copy of Fellowship!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I missed the first KS too, but I'll love to support this one. Also, A Fellowship In Rebellion sounds so good.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I'm really interested in the Rebellion book, but I hope I can get physical copies of all three of these. Love Fellowship already and an updated book + two new ones sounds great.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

gnome7 posted:

Ouch, sorry about that. I literally just disabled physical book sales this morning for that exact reason.

It is what it is, prob. a fair price for the enjoyment I've gotten out of the game over the years.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

MollyMetroid posted:

yay this time I can get in on it from the start instead of being late to the party

My exact feelings. Fellowship is the coolest sounding game I never got to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

drat it, and here I finally ordered a physical copy of Fellowship just last week. Oh well, super psyched for all this new Fellowship stuff, can't wait for the KS!

Same here. Looks good though!