Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

What were you planning to put into the base 2e book? The errata, I'm guessing, but any other big plans? And are you adding the expansion playbooks to the game, or updating them separately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Sure, let's go over that. Here's the patch notes I've listed at the beginning of the 2nd edition book:

The first change there is the biggest one, and the one that almost justifies a new edition by itself:

Finish Them 2e posted:

When you attempt to defeat an enemy you hold an Advantage over, tell us what you want to do to them and roll the appropriate stat.

If you do not have an Advantage over them, you cannot attempt to Finish Them. An Advantage is something you can use to get the upper hand, such as teamwork, the element of surprise, or a moment of hesitation.

If you Finish Them by…

...trying to kill them,
roll +Blood. On a 10+, they die by your hand.

...forcing them to retreat, roll +Courage. On a 10+, they back off. They won't be back any time soon.

...outsmarting, terrifying, or overwhelming them, roll +Grace. On a 10+, they admit defeat, and will not willingly challenge you again.

...disabling them or knocking them out, roll +Sense. On a 10+, they're physically incapacitated and unable to continue doing anything.

...showing them the error of their ways, roll +Wisdom. On a 10+, you Forge a Bond with them, and they cannot bring themselves to hurt you.

...outlasting them in a contest of power or endurance, roll +Iron. On a 10+, they pass out.

...relying on fate or luck, roll +Doom. On a 10+, their fate is sealed. The Overlord player decides what happens to them.

On a 7-9, you deal damage to them and lose your Advantage over them.
If an ally was Keeping Them Busy, they aren't anymore.

The other big change is to the Destiny playbooks. They've nearly all been adjusted in some way, so they should all be more in line with one another in terms of useful end-game powers. So all the moves that just give you Fellowship or you need to die to use them have gone away, in favor of lots of Cool Powerful Things You Can Do. Destinies like Halfling Sheriff and Knight aren't duds anymore with one good move among them.

And, I've added a very good reason to pick the Advanced Playbook Destinies over some other ones:

There's also a bunch of wording fixes all throughout. The core 2e playbooks will have everything on them, and you don't need to consult all the mini-expansions to see if they have alternative Gear choices or to see the Heir's updated errata or to see the Destiny playbooks' changed requirements. It'll all be in one place.

Oh, and 2nd edition will finally add something that's been requested a lot - 1 page Destiny playbooks you can print out to add to your playbook once you take that Destiny.

And to answer your final question,

Nuns with Guns posted:

And are you adding the expansion playbooks to the game, or updating them separately?

The expansion playbooks are going to be in the Inverse Fellowship and Fellowship In Rebellion books. The Constructed is in Inverse Fellowship, and the remaining expansions (Remnant, Pair, Spider, Dragon, and Ogre) will be in Fellowship in Rebellion.

Wait a minute, I hear you ask. Ogre?

Yeah I didn't like the Giant very much, so its being completely re-written from the ground up. A lot of its features are still in the new playbook, but one of the bigger changes is that The Ogre is a Basic playbook, not a Powerful one, so the Little Giant Destiny is also being replaced with an Ogre-centric destiny that will restore some of the Giant's more too-powerful features as Destiny moves.

I'll say more about that when I get to the big post on Fellowship In Rebellion, but that'll come after the big post on Inverse Fellowship I'll be making next week. So look forward to that.

And now I'm gonna go post this all again on twitter.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Yeah, those changes to Finish Them are hyuge and will definitely be much smoother at the table. As it was, Finish Them was by far my least favorite basic because it ran into the Defy Danger trap of just always rolling your best stat. Now you have to commit to something to use it.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
My gut reaction was that knocking out/incapacitating people being the only way to Finish Them with Sense felt weird, but the more I think about the breadth of things that can happen in Fellowship and the number of ways to incapacitate someone besides choking them out like Solid Snake the better I feel about it.

Also, I just want to point out that if I'm reading this right yelling at the villain about how what they're about to do is madness that will surely get them killed sounds like a perfectly reasonable way to Finish Them with Doom, with the finishing being "the general plunges his hands into the Heart Of The World and burns alive despite his armor", and that's kind of perfect.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
So you’re saying the Giant was Ogre-Powered?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Lurks With Wolves posted:

My gut reaction was that knocking out/incapacitating people being the only way to Finish Them with Sense felt weird, but the more I think about the breadth of things that can happen in Fellowship and the number of ways to incapacitate someone besides choking them out like Solid Snake the better I feel about it.

Or disabling! They don't need to be KO'd for it, just beaten up in a way they can't fight back anymore. Some other examples would be like cutting their hamstrings, or blinding them temporarily, or putting holes in their leathery wings, or crushing their good hand. It's the stat for "haha! I've found your weak point!" Which may be their vulnerable neck as you choke them out solid snake style, but there's lots of weak points on the human body, and there's weirder weak points on weirder enemies.

This change also makes the Sense playbooks, The Squire and Spider, more directly dangerous in combat, since they know how to dismantle their foes piece by piece, which is very fitting for both.

Golden Bee posted:

So you’re saying the Giant was Ogre-Powered?

Yes.

quote:

Also, I just want to point out that if I'm reading this right yelling at the villain about how what they're about to do is madness that will surely get them killed sounds like a perfectly reasonable way to Finish Them with Doom, with the finishing being "the general plunges his hands into the Heart Of The World and burns alive despite his armor", and that's kind of perfect.

Very yes.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 19, 2019

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
It seems curious that the Giant/Ogre is going to a basic playbook while the Harbinger will be a powerful one, esp. while it's one of the game's iconic classes. Will the Harbinger just be the powerful version from the Giant book?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Mostly, yes. Their Advances have changed a little, some of their Moves have been reworded (one directly buffed), and their Gear options are directly better than they used to be. Don't worry, the new Harbinger is worthy of their Powerful status.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is Get Away an appropriate move for dodging a punch? It mentions getting "out of reach," but the text for Overcome ("When you attempt to avoid, redirect, or prevent harm") implies that's the go-to for dodging, but my Elf player told me it felt strange that elves wouldn't be naturally gifted at being dextrous dodgers since that's basically every popular portrayal of them. The description for Grace also mentions that it represents speed which goes with the whole dodging thing.

I think Overcome is fine if it's just supposed to be a stand-in for all feats of physical prowess, I just wanted to make sure I understood things properly.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
That exact question is actually the first in the FAQ I added to the second edition book:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Nice, thanks. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the 2e stuff.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm sad to see the Giant go, because it was my most used playbook (3 games out of 6 I've been lucky enough to play in), but I do realize that of 5 of the times I saw it, 4 were Little Giants (and two of my own were).

Hopefully the ogre comes out to be as well liked.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
I wrote up a set piece for my next adventure for my players, trying to ape the examples in the book and convert a "dungeon" into the right Fellowship dialect.

I took a lot from The Treacherous Mountains example and would love some feedback:

Set Piece: The Library of Laboratories posted:

The Shelves with the Books: Entering the Library is not enough, you must find the book that hides a secret passage to go further into the Laboratories.

It’s Private Property: Going through the Library is a Long Journey, where each player sets an obstacle in their path, Each obstacle will require at least one roll to get past.

Your Library Card has been Revoked: The Pages of the Library are suspicious of you, while this stat is undamaged, every time you “check out” a book, you must pay a price.

Secret Passage, Volume I: When you damage this stat, you find a hidden passage behind a peculiar book, but must take it with you.

Spine of Servitude: The Library oppresses all through binding glue, spectral chains, and Grammargoyles. When all three stats are damaged, you may pass through the Spine.

Spectral Chains: As long as you have Library Knowledge, you are bound in servitude to the library. When each player forms a bond of servitude with the Library or a Page, you may damage this stat.

Bound by Glue: Binding Glue are tools of the library to keep people stuck. If each player can successfully Overcome or Get Away from the Binding Glue, damage this stat. When you damage this stat, you can pass through the Spine.

Grammargoyles: Beasts oversee the Pages and Servants of the Library, and there is no way through without encountering them. At any time, the Overlord may damage this stat to have a Group or Gang of Grammargoyles appear, irritated and very strict about trespassing.

Exit through the Rift Shop: The laboratories beneath the Library are never as quiet and empty as everyone wants them to be. When all three of these stats are damaged, you make it through the Library.

Experiments Abound!: At some point, there will be a nearly impassible obstacle of the experimental section of the library you cannot go around, such as a large lake, a deep chasm, or a river of lava. When you find your way past it, damage this stat.

The Heir, Here?: Stuben, the prince of the Human Kingdoms has been studying here as a ward. He must be rescued and recruited to help fight the Overlord.

Thesaurus Wrex: Another word for monster, a dangerous beast prowls the exit of the library. At any time, by damaging this stat, the Overlord can have a Titan appear.

Monsters:
Grammargoyles
Adverbsarial: Grammargoyles are always on the watch against bad grammar. This stat may only be damaged by Talking Sense.
Punctuation: Grammargoyles' attacks have Piercing.

Thesaurus Wrex:
Attack, Assault, Advance: A Thesaurus Wrex is constantly hunting its prey and it's attacks cannot be Overcome while this stat is undamaged.

Like Or As Flies: Anyone who fails a roll or pays a price while on top of Thesaurus Wrex is swatted off, in addition to the usual consequences.

No Definition: A Thesaurus Wrex can't be contained by normal means, and its body of Books, pages and bindings constantly changes forms while this stat is undamaged.

I'm playing with a Harbringer (Servants of the Overlord), a Remnant (Curse of the Spirit), and a Construct (Might and Magic). My goal was to have them search the Library for a source of power, for that to turn out to be "The Heir" to the Human civilizations (all of their leaders were killed by the Overlord) that they have to rescue. I'm only playing with three players and I thought it would be neat to test out the "companion" mechanics by having them start with The Heir as a companion that can eventually turn into a shared playbook for them.

The Library will be filled with other "Remnants" (Pages) that they can earn fellowship with, while evoking a Mines of Moria esque adventure through, giving the Remnant a group to identify with, and enticing knowledge for the Harbringer. My thought is that in forming a Bond with the Library, it gives the players experience in forming bonds, and gives me more tools as the Overlord to "Twist the Knife" with later if they do make Fellowship with the Library.

My worry is that I'm missing something when it comes to the stats of the Set Piece. In reading the rules right, I should be providing the sections to my players when they go through it and they know what the stats are to strategize? If that's the case, should I be more specific in the Experiments Abound! (The Hard Part:) or just expect them to help world build? It's hard to know how much detail around "obstacles" I should give my players.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Seems like too many optional rules. Any way to combine them?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Two things: One, I actually wrote a thing for second edition about how to make your own threats and set pieces. I've cut that section out into a 4 page pdf, so maybe this advice will help you: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Nh_T_EZn0UojJC8TMvXNvuAI_y12fjv2

I think you did a pretty good job, although all of that might be a bit complicated in practice. If you can keep track of everything it should be fine.

Second, I wrote a thread about the Fellowship in Rebellion on twitter, in anticipation of next week's kickstarter:

https://twitter.com/Veliministriari/status/1109680613009903616

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The Exile and the Nemesis sound pretty cool, the Nemesis in particular seems like a fantastic idea and I'm curious how that player's meant to be involved in normal play before flipping sides. Also digging the sound of the Rebellion mechanics and how they play with the Empire, there's so many good directions to take that stuff in terms of story, it's already got me thinking about some ideas.

I think the Nemesis might be the thing I'm most excited about getting from the kickstarter though.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
How long are you anticipating between the end of the Kickstarter and the release of 2e/Inverse/Rebellion?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

How long are you anticipating between the end of the Kickstarter and the release of 2e/Inverse/Rebellion?

Estimated release dates:

Inverse Fellowship: Oct 2019
Fellowship In Rebellion: May 2020

and for Fellowship 2e... It's out in PDF right now! It will also be up on DTRPG on the same day I launch the kickstarter, March 29. Anyone who has the book on DTRPG will get the 2e PDF for free, I'm just updating the file on the Fellowship page, but if you want it early you can get it on itch.io now.

The book won't be available in print for a few weeks, but it will probably be available before the end of the kickstarter's run.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I've talked up Fellowship to some friends and they seemed pretty interested, I guess we can wait another week for 2e before we try to play.

I'd also like to say that the game has been a major inspiration for my own work, and I'm very excited for the new stuff!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Sea Lily posted:

The Exile and the Nemesis sound pretty cool, the Nemesis in particular seems like a fantastic idea and I'm curious how that player's meant to be involved in normal play before flipping sides.

I think it's going to be like investigator Zenigata from Lupin the 3rd and you're just constantly somehow roped into bullshit

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

The Nemesis is such a cool idea for a playbook. I can't think of any other systems offhand that have a way to represent that role as a player character rather than a GM NPC, which is surprising when you stop to think about how prominent some of the examples of it are in media.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

ElegantFugue posted:

The Nemesis is such a cool idea for a playbook. I can't think of any other systems offhand that have a way to represent that role as a player character rather than a GM NPC, which is surprising when you stop to think about how prominent some of the examples of it are in media.

I'm not aware of any other systems that specifically have rules for that, yes. Though there're some systems you can do that in anyways (pretty much anything with low lethality, really). I played a villain in a Precure inspired FATE game who ended up switching sides and later becoming a Precure.

EDIT: I'm fond of the battle she ended up switching sides in. We pretty much agreed the social side was more at stake than the physical combat, so it was treated as a social conflict with background description of the physical fight.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 25, 2019

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

gnome7 posted:

Two things: One, I actually wrote a thing for second edition about how to make your own threats and set pieces. I've cut that section out into a 4 page pdf, so maybe this advice will help you: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Nh_T_EZn0UojJC8TMvXNvuAI_y12fjv2

This was IMMENSELY helpful, if nothing else that it put into words a process for how I was going about making threats and Set Pieces. If 2e is filled with more things like this, I'm already excited about it!

Session #1 went well, I took your advice and basically removed a "stat" from each section of the Set. I ran into a little bit of awkwardness with how to handle the Curse of the Spirit w.r.t. the Remnant, it feels like it makes it harder as a GM/Overlord to deal with an inquisitive PC that can shift through anything.

I also forgot to use the Threat to the World stat when they faced a General who showed up to fight.

Overall though I'm really enjoying the collaborative world building of the system. We're playing over discord and as soon as we get the stat rolls set up (and hope / despair), I think we'll be cruising.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
By any chance, is Fellowship in Rebellion a revival of the Fellowship: A Stranger Tale from the first kickstarter? Specifically, will The Empire be added as an Overlord playbook?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Covok posted:

By any chance, is Fellowship in Rebellion a revival of the Fellowship: A Stranger Tale from the first kickstarter? Specifically, will The Empire be added as an Overlord playbook?

from stuff on Twitter it's been mentioned there's going to be The Empire as an Overlord playbook and then also The Rebellion as a shared Playbook (similar to The Ship for Inverse Fellowship i think)

so yeah it seems like a new more clear name for that whole thing

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Covok posted:

Yes, this is exactly what Fellowship in Rebellion is. Here's some tweets about how the Overlord works, specifically:

https://twitter.com/Veliministriari/status/1109683486330368001

Also, the DTRPG version of Fellowship has now been updated to 2e, in preparation for the upcoming Kickstarter. So if you bought the book on DTRPG, you now have access to the 2nd edition PDF, as well as the new one page Destiny PDFs.

Print copies and form-fillable PDFs are coming soon.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

gnome7 posted:

Yes, this is exactly what Fellowship in Rebellion is. Here's some tweets about how the Overlord works, specifically:

https://twitter.com/Veliministriari/status/1109683486330368001

Also, the DTRPG version of Fellowship has now been updated to 2e, in preparation for the upcoming Kickstarter. So if you bought the book on DTRPG, you now have access to the 2nd edition PDF, as well as the new one page Destiny PDFs.

Print copies and form-fillable PDFs are coming soon.

Oh okay. Haven't checked twitter. Didn't know you were posting deetz there.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Where should we get the new version if we got v1 from the kickstarter? Or will it automatically be provided in the new kickstarter?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Golden Bee posted:

Where should we get the new version if we got v1 from the kickstarter? Or will it automatically be provided in the new kickstarter?

I fulfilled the kickstarter through DTRPG, so you should've gotten a complimentary PDF copy through there. If you don't have that for some reason, shoot me a message on kickstarter and I'll sort you out.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

gnome7 posted:

I fulfilled the kickstarter through DTRPG, so you should've gotten a complimentary PDF copy through there. If you don't have that for some reason, shoot me a message on kickstarter and I'll sort you out.

Sent!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I have made a new tweet thread about the Inverse Fellowship playbooks:

https://twitter.com/Veliministriari/status/1110622680624123907

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Also, here is the first draft of the Nemesis' core moves: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qg_a-5_zBI1jOU6gBuN2wB-xzAFtXY84/view

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Wow, this stuff looks super cool! I can't wait to see more.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

gnome7 posted:

Also, here is the first draft of the Nemesis' core moves: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qg_a-5_zBI1jOU6gBuN2wB-xzAFtXY84/view

Is Framework being used as the catch-all term for the Overlord/Horizon/Empire role here? I don't remember seeing that term before but context makes that seem like what's up

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Yes, its a new term for the second edition, and it is exactly that thing you said. The Overlord is the first Framework playbook, and the Horizon and the Empire are the currently-unreleased Frameworks.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Oh man, these sound so cool, I'm really excited and sorta glad I'd fallen behind on listening to To Winter's End so I can catch up on it now, haha.

Will the Beast have a move that lets it copy/steal enemy traits directly, Soma Cruz/Mega Man style?

ElegantFugue fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 27, 2019

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

God drat I love the Nemesis so much

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

ElegantFugue posted:

Oh man, these sound so cool, I'm really excited and sorta glad I'd fallen behind on listening to To Winter's End so I can catch up on it now, haha.

Will the Beast have a move that lets it copy/steal enemy traits directly, Soma Cruz/Mega Man style?

No, they do not. Its a neat idea but I like the moves they already have, and stealing moves isn't really their thing. They've got a solid identity already.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
I noticed you went back on the errata for sharing moves, and now the multiclass moves are back to giving you another playbook's core move. I think I like sharing custom moves more and might continue to use the old errata in my games, but I'm also interested to know why you reverted the change for Fellowship 2e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I was playing an Orc in a Fellowship game that never went nowhere. I felt that he had what it takes to make good use of the Leader Destiny playbook, but I was turned off by all the requirements to get it. With the changes to the Destiny playbooks, he totally could have pulled it off! I am glad for that, it really paints a picture of heroes that can adapt to and adopt different cultures.