Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Maybe something like "if you Finish Them by hitting them where it really hurts"? It fits the same format as all the other 2e Finish Them results, and it has the same "you can always use this, but if you always use it everyone will probably think you're vicious and unlikable" vibe as killing them does.

I like this. If you Finish Them with Blood, you don't kill them and maybe don't even maim them or anything, but you had an opportunity to be merciful and everyone saw you decide against it. You went above and beyond what was necessary to defeat them, and if you keep it up, it might earn you a reputation as, well, mean or cruel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

My group is finally getting ready, so I bought the books and am starting to go more in-depth. I'm wondering if this is a contradiction, and if so, which is correct, or if there's context I'm not getting:

Page 29 of the core book says explicitly, "You cannot share a Move from a Destiny playbook or from a Powerful playbook." But when page 39 defines Powerful playbooks, it also says explicitly, "Powerful Playbook Moves can be Shared as normal."

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

gnome7 posted:

I am... not sure exactly why page 39 says that. I went to look at the context and I was clear in the sentence before it that you cannot take Powerful moves with options telling you to take a move from a Basic playbook.

The most accurate way I could've worded that would be something like "Powerful playbook Moves cannot be shared normally. They can only be shared when given explicit permission to do so." There are a couple ways to share a Powerful playbook move but they are few and far between.

Got it, I think. Thank you very much!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Another Fellowship question, since my game is finally getting started soon: does anyone have a set piece or encounter they used as the first one/early on and thought was really good for establishing the game and teaching the rules? I'm leaning toward using the Titans as my Overlord's army, but I could be talked into the Organization.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Thanks, all. I did the Chase for the first session and went into the fancy gala for the second, and people seemed to enjoy it.

Problem I'm having for once is that, well, I'm not enjoying it. I love playing freeform games, I would happily run so many PBtA games, but this time I might have gone too freeform? Like the situation in the Chase eventually devolved into combat, and I ended up stressing about the time it took me to find suitable threats to use in combat and then about adequately expressing their abilities. Essentially, I feel like I'm giving the party enough rope to hang me. Any advice on how to keep a hand still on the wheel, but gently?

Also, one of my players is a Remnant, and I want to check and make sure these two moves interact the way they appear to:

quote:

Feed On Pain
When you cause harm to another, you heal one damage. The type of harm does not matter - emotional or physical, it all sustains you.

quote:

Lash Out (Blood)
When you wildly strike out with intent to kill them, roll +Blood.
On a 7+, you may take damage to deal damage to them.
On a 10+, you deal damage to them, in addition to the 7+ result.
On a 6-, you may damage two of your stats to deal damage anyway.

So, since every Remnant has Feed On Pain, half of Lash Out's text is irrelevant and it's just free damage on a 7+, and even on a 6-, that "two damage" is really only one? Is that intended behavior?