Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I had a moment last session where the Overlord and I weren't sure the rules worked, they made a decision and we decided to check out how it works afterwords.

My Orc was using Death Before Dishonor with a Piercing weapon on a giant Psychotoad. I rolled a 14, but the Psychotoad had Tough As Nails. Normally with a Piercing weapon I'd choose what stat gets damaged, but Tough As Nails says damage goes to that stat first. We went with damaging Tough as Nail and dealing with what happened next.

But how would it work with the rules? Would Piercing let me choose which stat gets damaged, so I could damage something else if I wanted? Or does Death before Dishonor just let me break a weapon to instantly damage someone without having to set up Advantages if they have a Trait like Tough as Nails?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
In another Fellowship game, we're running into a problem with the Guided Establishment rules. My character is a Squire of the Beastperson - so we weren't sure what to do for "3 things about your people." We went with having me creating three NPCs my Squire ran into. But now we're deciding on rumors or superstitions about the other races and again my character is a Squire. How should it work when it's someone's turn to come up with something for me?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

gnome7 posted:

Tough as Nails exists to eat up a first hit - aka, its armor. Piercing always lets the attacker choose the stat they harm, even through armor. I should probably have included that in the Piercing description but there you go, that is how I would rule it.

There are a couple enemies that are immune to the Piercing tag, and only in that case do you not choose which stat you harm when using a Piercing weapon. Also, Set Pieces are generally immune by virtue of their stats being so encompassing - if you are trying to damage a set piece like the Spider Tank, you pretty much have to pick the part you're trying to damage before you roll anyway.

Ah, okay. Thank you for explaining. How would a 10+ on Finish Them with a Piercing weapon work with Tough as Nails? You deal damage to both a stat of your choice and Tough as Nails (since TaN kicks in if the enemy would be damaged or destroyed), or would you ignore Tough as Nails and outright kill them?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Tenik posted:

One of the options for The Halfling's Sting Like A Bee is "You get them to chase you around, and you both leave the scene." Our Halfling player wanted to use this to distract some guards, which feels like the right use of the skill. Later on, they also wanted to use this to distract the Overlord when he was pursuing the Fellowship, forcing the Overlord to leave the scene, which feels like its not quite the way this skill is intended to be used. Would this would be an appropriate time to say that a Threat to the World wouldn't be distracted some silly halfling's games? It felt right in the moment, since the Overlord is more focused on achieving their goals than hurting a member of the Fellowship, but it also felt like I was shutting that player down by not allowing that move to work.

Keep in mind that the Overlord can use Heart of Iron to make the Halfing automatically miss the roll and then Twist the Knife against them. If they don't do that, then the Halfing has to pay a price for taking direct action against a Threat to the World. And if they do that, and succeed, they are now alone with the Overlord after them - so they've put themselves in a really bad spot in exchange for saving the rest of their friends.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Last session a situation with the Lantern's Speak Clearly came up. Since you use the Speak Softly move to activate it and can give a command instead of asking a question, on a 7-9 can the Overlord use the "refuse to answer or reveal a terrible truth" result on the command you give?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Do you count as having your own people's Fellowship? I'm playing a Dragon who reached level 5 and I'm thinking of taking the Final Form destiny. We don't have any fellowship with Dragons though - would I still be able to take it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
For the Nerve bond gained through Finishing Them, I feel it should have a use like all the others. Maybe you can use it to frighten others by what you did to the person you have the Bond on?