Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If a game is tied after the end of regulation, a GoFundMe page will be immediately activated for both teams. Whichever team gets more donations in a 15 minute time span will get the win. All proceeds will go to a non-profit where the upper management salaries make up 95% of the non-profit's expenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Upon the start of overtime each player is replaced by his son or daughter. The ones who don't have their own children will have to locate a child nearby to play for them, or else borrow a child from another teammate. Then we will see which team has the best dads who can yell the most advice from the sidelines

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Play posted:

Upon the start of overtime each player is replaced by his son or daughter. The ones who don't have their own children will have to locate a child nearby to play for them, or else borrow a child from another teammate. Then we will see which team has the best dads who can yell the most advice from the sidelines

Chargers sign Antonio Cromartie to vet minimum contract.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
2 words.

Dance. Off.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

sudden death was better than this, college football is terrible and that includes their ot, just outlaw the patriots winning close games and theres no problem anymore

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

jazzyhattrick posted:

2 words.

Dance. Off.

Pants. Off.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Ghost Dog posted:

just outlaw the patriots

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
How was sudden death better than this

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Penalty kicks.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Same OT rules as now, except initial possession is determined by a jump-ball at 50 yard line.

e: or hockey puck-drop I guess

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Strip poker.

Last clothed offensive lineman wins.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Each side gets assigned a team in a randomly selected sporting event somewhere outside of the united states.

The entire game, whatever it is, is screened on the jumbotron. If your proxy team wins their game, you win yours.

Imagine the commentators frantically trying to explain the rules of jai-alai or cricket or mongolian wrestling to their bewildered audience.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

overtime is when you bring your e sports team out and compete as cyber athletes

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Both teams get a possession but it's at the same time; your offense at your own 20, your defense against their offense at their 20. Anybody on your team can tackle anybody on their team, first score wins.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Vando posted:

Just go straight to a sudden death FG shootout, start at 20 yards and back them up 10 yards at a time. Maybe go to 5 yards if you hit 50. Rekick if both miss.

This, but each player can kick only once.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Each team's offense gets 5 minutes total to score. Play is otherwise as normal, no sudden death scores or anything, but once the losing team's 5 minutes finally expire, that's it. So like...if you're still down in OT after kicking 3 field goals and the clock runs out on your offense? That's game.

It's kinda like king of the hill. Normal play, aside from riskier playcalls and time management being more important than ever. There'd even be an advantage for settling for a field goal early; if you get into opposing territory quickly, you can put points on the board while wasting the least amount of time.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Asimov posted:

Same OT rules as now, except initial possession is determined by a jump-ball at 50 yard line.

e: or hockey puck-drop I guess

The ball is placed in the middle of the field and both teams start on opposite end zones. Then a game is played by Rugby rules and the first team to score wins.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Just play a 10 minute quarter. Whoever is ahead at the end wins. No stupid each team possession unless rule.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Two man enter, one man leave

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Battle Royale style.

Weapons are scattered throughout the stadium. Last player standing wins the game for their team.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The fundamental issue with overtime is that it is approached in a way that is philosophically anti-competition.

Overtime is designed to create finality as quickly as possible. The fairness of the result is secondary to the expedient earning of that result.

Until OT is treated as something other than a burden to networks and audiences it will always remain functionally unfair

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Battle Royale style.

Weapons are scattered throughout the stadium. Last player standing wins the game for their team.

https://deadspin.com/crazy-rear end-italian-sport-combines-rugby-with-bare-knuckl-1612721772

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The fundamental issue with overtime is that it is approached in a way that is philosophically anti-competition.

Overtime is designed to create finality as quickly as possible. The fairness of the result is secondary to the expedient earning of that result.

Until OT is treated as something other than a burden to networks and audiences it will always remain functionally unfair

I guess my strongest thought in all of this is that if OT was a playoffs-only thing that you probably only saw once or twice per season, then there would be a lot less pressure to keep it as short as possible.

Nov 6, 2002

Yeah, of all the things considered, getting rid of OT in the regular season is the most obvious fix.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

General Dog posted:

I guess my strongest thought in all of this is that if OT was a playoffs-only thing that you probably only saw once or twice per season, then there would be a lot less pressure to keep it as short as possible.

I mean, it's what soccer does, but soccer also has arguably the least "fair" OT rules of any sport.

I go hard baseball and say you keep loving going till someone wins

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, it's what soccer does, but soccer also has arguably the least "fair" OT rules of any sport.

Well that's because some soccer games could go on for 8 months without anyone ever scoring

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, of all the things considered, getting rid of OT in the regular season is the most obvious fix.

That would result in coaches getting so drat cowardly and they don't need the help as is.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

General Dog posted:

Well that's because some soccer games could go on for 8 months without anyone ever scoring

So be it

War of attrition

No subs allowed, sudden death

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

That would result in coaches getting so drat cowardly and they don't need the help as is.

What? I think the opposite if anything.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Whats unfair about how soccer's extra time works?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Whats unfair about how soccer's extra time works?

Penalties are more a question of mathematics than talent

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You skipped over an entire section of extra time before penalties happen though. There's a 30 min extra period added on, if at the end of that, the teams cant be separated, then it goes to penalties.

And in a lot of knockout competitions (not international) the tie is split over two legs, so each team can play home and away. Away goals count for extra to reduce the likeliness of a draw/extra time

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 22, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

You skipped over an entire section of extra time before penalties happen though. There's a 30 min extra period added on, if at the end of that, the teams cant be separated, then it goes to penalties.

Well yeah I skipped over it because I was talking about how they force an outcome outside of extra time

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
PKs are like...the only...fun thing about soccer

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Kalli posted:

I think it would be fun to burden them with those decisions.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Your removing the emotional side of things though. Mainly "talented" players making GBS threads themselves in pressure situations.

And the insane work that GK's put in to study the opposition players penalty stance before games.

Nov 6, 2002

General Dog posted:

I think it would be fun to burden them with those decisions.

I think the looming specter of ending a game in a tie would goad coaches into being more aggressive at the end.

Now Jason Garrett might not play for a 54 yard field goal attempt if the only thing it's getting him is a 0-0-1 tacked on to his record.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think the looming specter of ending a game in a tie would goad coaches into being more aggressive at the end.

Now Jason Garrett might not play for a 54 yard field goal attempt if the only thing it's getting him is a 0-0-1 tacked on to his record.

Jason Garrett would go 5-5-6 every year.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CyberPingu posted:

And in a lot of knockout competitions (not international) the tie is split over two legs, so each team can play home and away. Away goals count for extra to reduce the likeliness of a draw/extra time

Don't they still do replay games for draws in single leg knockout tournaments or did that get canned because it's not practical with modern TV/event scheduling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

No OT in the regular season, OT in the playoffs is an extra quarter. If it's still tied after that, coin flip decides the winner, gently caress you finish the god drat game.