Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

General Dog posted:

Jason Garrett would go 5-5-6 every year.

Imagine a division filled with limp-dicked coaches that sends a 3-7-6 team to the playoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The fundamental issue with overtime is that it is approached in a way that is philosophically anti-competition.

Overtime is designed to create finality as quickly as possible. The fairness of the result is secondary to the expedient earning of that result.

Until OT is treated as something other than a burden to networks and audiences it will always remain functionally unfair

It's arguably fair since if the teams are tied, they both equally deserved to win so you might as well settle it with what's basically a more exciting coin flop

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Look, you're making millions of dollars, you have 60 minutes and then also a chance to stop them on defense/hold them to a field goal. If you can't get it done then give your nuts a tug and try harder next year

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

sweet thursday posted:

give your nuts a tug

new overtime rule:

10 minute flag football game in the nude, the only way to tackle is to grab the ball carrier by the sack. no substitutions

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Don't they still do replay games for draws in single leg knockout tournaments or did that get canned because it's not practical with modern TV/event scheduling

They do for the FA Cup. Not sure about others

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Give each team a 2 minute drill with two time outs. The other team gets the same opportunity. If the period ends with the points tied, whoever scored faster wins the game. Then we can have the NFL-Esports rule crossover we're destined to head towards.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

delete overtime and make it so the last team to score any points at all gets an extra 1 point if the score is tied at the end of regulation

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Btw, College overtime is worse then the NFL one for a bunch of reasons, including that the team that wins the coinflip wins more often then in the NFL>

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

Btw, College overtime is worse then the NFL one for a bunch of reasons, including that the team that wins the coinflip wins more often then in the NFL>

No it's not. Not remotely.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
College overtime is sorta like shootouts in hockey or soccer, it's a fun gimmick but one that should stay in college.

and yeah the coinflip is massively important in college

wyoak fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 22, 2019

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

wyoak posted:

and yeah the coinflip is massively important in college

Yeah, in college the team that wins the coinflip plays defense then wins almost 60% of the time.

Which is significantly worse then the NFL's overtime.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Convoluted things like "sudden death, but one team chooses field position and the other team chooses offense or defense" would be super fun but have a zero percent chance of actually happening. Most likely thing is just amending the first score rule to include touchdowns so that both teams are guaranteed a possession.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I think that if they made it so that both challenges can be used on ANY ruling, that the overtime rule would be totally fine just the way it is. What makes the current situation tip the scales is the fact that there are just so many protections for a team's offense from a flag-throwing perspective

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

Yeah, in college the team that wins the coinflip plays defense then wins almost 60% of the time.

Which is significantly worse then the NFL's overtime.

Not in the playoffs. In the playoffs it's 8-1 in favor of the coin flip winner.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Not in the playoffs. In the playoffs it's 8-1 in favor of the coin flip winner.

Weird, I was told that defense wins championships.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Weird, I was told that defense wins championships.

The non-snarky answer is that in the playoffs by the time people get there defenses are usually loving cooked. It's not as bad in the regular season because in the vast majority of games basically no one plays as hard as they do in the playoffs. Everyone says that all the time. Current players, former players... it's a whole different ball of wax in win or go home scenarios.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i mean no thats the stupid answer, the actual answer is 9 games is not meaningful and you are just arbitrarily using an endpoint that makes you think you are right.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I don't understand why it even has to be one or the other. Teams, who have both offense and defense, win championships

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The non-snarky answer is that in the playoffs by the time people get there defenses are usually loving cooked. It's not as bad in the regular season because in the vast majority of games basically no one plays as hard as they do in the playoffs. Everyone says that all the time. Current players, former players... it's a whole different ball of wax in win or go home scenarios.

https://sports.theonion.com/super-bowl-veterans-much-more-prepared-for-big-games-un-1819572126

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Play posted:

I don't understand why it even has to be one or the other. Teams, who have both offense and defense, win championships

I'm gonna need to see the numbers on this "good teams win more games" theory before I take a side.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
The Pats probably win that game in any version of the overtime rules honestly, KC defense had been on the field way too long (I heard the Pats had more running plays than the Chiefs had total plays on offense) and their offense was pretty much "Mahomes scrambles and does something cool or hope JC Jackson commits a penalty"

EPCOT
Oct 24, 2010

Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow
Each team gets one possession, but any player that possesses the ball and is tackled is removed from the game for the remainder. Better hope you don't give up a sack.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

wyoak posted:

The Pats probably win that game in any version of the overtime rules honestly, KC defense had been on the field way too long (I heard the Pats had more running plays than the Chiefs had total plays on offense) and their offense was pretty much "Mahomes scrambles and does something cool or hope JC Jackson commits a penalty"

I don't believe the Pats defense stopped the Chiefs once since halftime, while the Chiefs actually did stop the Pats. So I don't agree

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Play posted:

I don't believe the Pats defense stopped the Chiefs once since halftime, while the Chiefs actually did stop the Pats. So I don't agree

The Chiefs punted twice in the 2nd half, once in the 3rd and once in the 4th. The Patriots had a punt (3rd), missed a 4th down (early 4th) and that goofy Edelman int right after the miraculous non-punt fielding midway through the 4th.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Current rules are perfect. Can't win off of a field goal alone and teams still have to play defense.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Current rules are perfect. Can't win off of a field goal alone and teams still have to play defense.
bbbbbut the pats didn't have to play defense

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

wyoak posted:

bbbbbut the pats didn't have to play defense

WeLl ThEn Kc ShOuLd HaVe StOpPeD tHeM

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

weird Asian candy posted:

WeLl ThEn Kc ShOuLd HaVe StOpPeD tHeM

It's extremely unfair that the Patriots won, by scoring a touchdown

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's extremely unfair that the Patriots won, by scoring a touchdown

Glad we agree

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's extremely unfair that the Patriots won

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

did someone say overtime

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
Just have consecutive rounds of two point conversions, both teams attempt per round, first team with a 4 point lead at the end of a round wins.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The rules are good as they are now. On Sunday there were two "Unstoppable" offenses. The Patriots had multiple third and longs and converted. On the other side, the Saints game showed that it is possible to stop even a potent offense. Nothing about one game or the other was inevitable, and that's what it should be.

The college OT rules are weird and gimmicky.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Each play during OT a random position gets removed from the field and cant rejoin.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Fat Jesus posted:

best of 3 pass / punt / kick between the coaches
See if Reid still has the stuff after all these years.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

dphi posted:

Where do blowjobs factor in?

:golfclap:

I was really confused by this at first

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

fifth quarter.

nobody doubted the outcome of the super bowl or afc championship after the coin toss.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 23, 2019

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Darth Brooks posted:

The rules are good as they are now. On Sunday there were two "Unstoppable" offenses. The Patriots had multiple third and longs and converted.

That's exactly the problem, though? That coin flip decided the game. For right-thinking people that is an insult

mikemil828 posted:

Just have consecutive rounds of two point conversions, both teams attempt per round, first team with a 4 point lead at the end of a round wins.

heh this is kinda a neat idea

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Play posted:

That's exactly the problem, though? That coin flip decided the game. For right-thinking people that is an insult

why? like I hear this all the time but if both teams equally deserved to win in regulation a coin toss legitimately seems like one of the most fair ways to resolve the game. ot is just a coin toss that's more exciting for the spectators

(one actual problem with trying to get rid of randomness in OT is that if both teams are roughly equally good, a "fair" overtime has a large possibility of just ending up as a tied game again, see baseball games that go 18 innings)

in any case arguing about fairness is basically useless because the whole point of overtime is to force a tied game into having a result which is fundamentally unfair anyway

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

why? like I hear this all the time but if both teams equally deserved to win in regulation a coin toss legitimately seems like one of the most fair ways to resolve the game. ot is just a coin toss that's more exciting for the spectators

(one actual problem with trying to get rid of randomness in OT is that if both teams are roughly equally good, a "fair" overtime has a large possibility of just ending up as a tied game again, see baseball games that go 18 innings)

A coin toss isn't fair because it has nothing to do with football skill, obviously. OT is a football game, not a coin toss. And no two teams are exactly equal to each other; one will surpass the other if you play for any amount of time. For the SECOND period, if neither team can put themselves up, you can move on to sudden death. It's a very small change, easily made