Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if offenses in playoff games are as world class unstoppable as people say, then making it so both teams have to touch the ball is just kicking the can down the road

That's why I think it should be set up so that if the other team responds with a touchdown it *has* to end then and there with a 2-point attempt. And not have a PAT on the first TD and that team can't go for two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Kawalimus posted:

That's why I think it should be set up so that if the other team responds with a touchdown it *has* to end then and there with a 2-point attempt. And not have a PAT on the first TD and that team can't go for two.

That's honestly not bad. Although, I'd like to still make the team that scores the first touchdown kick the extra point (they still wouldn't be allowed to go for two). There's something inherently wrong about giving them that potentially decisive one point for free.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

General Dog posted:

Is "first touchdown wins" functionally that different from what we have now?

I meant no field goals at all. Kickers are too good, you should do more than advance to the 35 to win. Again, I'm talking playoff-only. Get the ball in the drat endzone!

A more extreme version would be banning punts, too. It'd make the coin toss less determinative, and might make the OT go faster because everyone will use all four downs to advance the ball. Feels kinda gamey, though.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Scoring is extremely easy in the NFL and should be banned in overtime except for the safety. remember when i predicted that OT safety that the dolphins would have over my team? That was memorable

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Actually, they should ban the forward pass and legalize the wedge formation in OT.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Playoff rules: first team to 9 points wins. Time is regular quarters, 1 challenge per side, reviews done up top.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Cavauro posted:

Scoring is extremely easy in the NFL and should be banned in overtime except for the safety.

finally a way forward for andey

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

General Dog posted:

That's honestly not bad. Although, I'd like to still make the team that scores the first touchdown kick the extra point (they still wouldn't be allowed to go for two). There's something inherently wrong about giving them that potentially decisive one point for free.

I guess how you might fix it is have the PAT, but once the other team scores the game will end one way or the other, so if they get the responding PAT it's just a tie. But go for two to win. This might lead to more ties because teams might decide it's worth taking a tie than risking a loss.

I love when games end in ties but if it were encouraged like that it might be annoying. That's why I initially said give them the 7 and make the other team go for 2, to try to maximize chances of having an actual winner.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Allow each side to possess the ball, but if the first team scores a TD+extra point using 12 plays, the other team has to do the same in fewer plays. Alternatively, if the second team scores in 13 plays, but converts the 2 point conversion, they win.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the team that wins the coinflip decides whether they play a fps or moba. the loser chooses the specific game.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

the team that wins the coinflip decides whether they play a fps or moba. the loser chooses the specific game.

Make kickers great again.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Just make OT one series

Flip the coin like normal. Winner chooses offense or defense.

If the offense scores points on that drive, they win. If no points are scored, the other team wins.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Saw this thread in my bookmarks. Did we ever solve overtime? The time is running out!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Sudden death hail marys.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Sudden death hail marys.

Brett Favre just started tearing up and he doesn’t know why.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

latinotwink1997 posted:

Tim Tebow just started tearing up and he doesn’t know why.

I know it wasn't a hail Mary but gently caress the Steelers

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

General Dog posted:

Saw this thread in my bookmarks. Did we ever solve overtime? The time is running out!
I just saw this and read through the whole thing. I’m leaning towards possession for both teams, 2 point conversions only. But that still kinda has the same problem of favoring strong offenses if it becomes sudden death, or extending too long without it.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Playoff rules: first team to 9 points wins. Time is regular quarters, 1 challenge per side, reviews done up top.
I kinda like this one just cause it changes the dynamics a bit, but could potentially get grueling. Although that could be the case with the current rules if defenses are good enough/offenses bad enough.

Alternatively, play to 8, but 2 point conversions are from 15 like extra points. Chance to match for the other team, then...I don’t know what the hell after that. Sudden death if 8-8, essentially play to 9 at that point I guess.

Or, gently caress it, the 2 point conversions only thing, but from 15. Actually gently caress it, leave extra points in too, but push them back to 35, for 52 yard extra points to potentially win games.

Or some other funky mix of this poo poo. It’s late. I just realized that stuff should be *if first possession scores otherwise it’ll drag poo poo on.

Also tug of war one would be cool. Or do the reverse. Both teams simultaneously start at their 1 and try to cross mid field or get closest within 4 downs, no coin toss here! I haven’t worked out if your own defenders could potentially run back and become receivers, but figure whatever chaos that comes together in the middle would be part of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
4 fields arranged in a giant mobius strip in the shape of a figure eight. it's painful to look upon them. they seem to violate the very laws of reality. the players are skittish; out of the corners of their eyes they can see other players from other eras. faint ghosts of a time gone by. but this is overtime, and they must advance the ball completely around this twisted horror. sometimes their heads point to the sky, as usual; other times they look up and see the ground, and all the fans looking up watching them: they are stuck to the field by some unearthly force. moreover, the field is two dimensional, which hurts to even imagine. from the top it looks normal, with grass and white lines and everything. but from the side you realize it has no mass whatsoever. what shocking violation of all that is right caused this horrible structure to come into being? what terrible eldritch forces has the NFL been meddling with this time?

First team to advance the ball around all four fields wins the game

Play fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 6, 2019