Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

My wife disliked reading Tillich for similiar reasons. His thesis was always at the end of the chapter in the systematic theologies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

BrandorKP posted:

Ze Germans write different yo.

It's like the difference between writing a paper for a UK university and a US one, the structure you use is different. On top of the structural differences there is the difference between materialists and idealists. The materialist writes about one thing the idealist writes about many things like that fragmented light coming through the canopy.

Oh come on you can’t pin this on the German language. Nietzsche by contrast is an excellent writer. His books often read more like a battle rap than academic tombs. Heidegger is just a tedious bore who churned out reams of gibberish.

It's not even an analytic vs continental thing. Sartre was a brilliant author who could explore deep themes through his novels and theatre. Foucault was incisive and specific in his commentary. Heidegger is just a chore.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 26, 2019

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Being grandly important yet somewhat obscure and difficult to parse seems like the ideal writing style for your career if you're an academic trying to make good in a literally totalitarian society.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Squalid posted:

Oh come on you can’t pin this on the German language.

It's not the language specfically. It's not even the analytical vs the continental. Personally I think it's more the idealism. I had a hell of a time communicating the concepts I picked in Tillich up over the years in threads here. People thought I was schizophrenic (and I'm most definately not).

The very passage Glowingfish picked is explanative of the gap. It's almost like having an alien understanding. This gap is what modernity causes. How does one talk about a thing experienced internally to those that haven't experienced it. It's not like explaining faith to someone who doesn't have it, it is the exact same.

How does one communicate that which is only understood by a negation?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

BrandorKP posted:

It's not the language specfically. It's not even the analytical vs the continental. Personally I think it's more the idealism. I had a hell of a time communicating the concepts I picked in Tillich up over the years in threads here. People thought I was schizophrenic (and I'm most definately not).

The very passage Glowingfish picked is explanative of the gap. It's almost like having an alien understanding. This gap is what modernity causes. How does one talk about a thing experienced internally to those that haven't experienced it. It's not like explaining faith to someone who doesn't have it, it is the exact same.

How does one communicate that which is only understood by a negation?

Uh...the passage I "picked" was me writing Heidegger parody.

I thought it was obvious.

Was I trolling people without trying to?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yes I didn't notice.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
" the poetry of language, the language of poetry, and how they are both silent"

I mean, I couldn't even write that without giggling.

I usually don't like faking people out, I thought it was a clear reference, especially since I did the same thing earlier in the thread.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ehh I'm entirely too earnest all the time assume everybody else is and am a pretty easy mark for that.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Accidental reenactment of Sokal hoax itt

Morbus
May 18, 2004

See this is the problem with "philosophers" who try to justify their obscurantism one way or another. A single sentence of prose as entropic as Heidegger's can mean a thousand different things, few of them even intentional.

Readers who sincerely try to distill concrete, self-consistent meaning (while refusing to cheat themselves into "understanding" something they don't for the sake of being pulled along on Heidegger's Wild Dasein Ride) will--correctly--conclude that the work is mostly gibberish. But readers who power through, either by suspending critical thought or just by experiencing the work through a mostly aesthetic framework (which, you know, you could do a hell of a lot better than this quack if that's your jam), will basically end up seeing patterns in oracle bones. And while, as with any form of cleromancy, people may sometimes be able to obtain interesting, profound, or correct insights this way, the fact that they are just as easily able to do so by scrutinizing less authentic gibberish should come as no surprise.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Squalid posted:

you lost me at the third clause.

If you can't open a book to a random page and make sense of what it says its not worth reading. If a philosopher won't say anything comprehensible in plain language its because he has nothing to say important enough that it needs to be comprehended.

Not all philosophers are good writers, neither are all philosophical projects the same. Heidegger felt that both "Plain language" and philosophical language at the time did not have the vocabulary needed to express what he wanted. He had to develop many of the concepts that he would later use, or it would be even more unweildly in both volume and coherency. Kant and Hegel faced similar charges of obscurantism as they all have a sort of meta-language to learn in order to parse a random passage from their work.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 27, 2019

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Morbus posted:

See this is the problem with "philosophers" who try to justify their obscurantism one way or another. A single sentence of prose as entropic as Heidegger's can mean a thousand different things, few of them even intentional.

Readers who sincerely try to distill concrete, self-consistent meaning (while refusing to cheat themselves into "understanding" something they don't for the sake of being pulled along on Heidegger's Wild Dasein Ride) will--correctly--conclude that the work is mostly gibberish. But readers who power through, either by suspending critical thought or just by experiencing the work through a mostly aesthetic framework (which, you know, you could do a hell of a lot better than this quack if that's your jam), will basically end up seeing patterns in oracle bones. And while, as with any form of cleromancy, people may sometimes be able to obtain interesting, profound, or correct insights this way, the fact that they are just as easily able to do so by scrutinizing less authentic gibberish should come as no surprise.

This is entirely my problem with Deleuze too. Dude writes gibberish and yet he’s highly disseminated in literary academia like wtf

Venomous fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 27, 2019

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

glowing-fish posted:

For example, say we read someone say "The police will only ever protect the wealthy, the justice system is only used to protect those in power". You can read that about 50 times a day on here.

There are two ways to interpret that. The first is that there are universal moral and ethical laws, that people can learn and understand through discourse, but that presently, law enforcement and courts do not follow laws derived from those principles. That would be the rationalist, enlightenment take.

The second way to interpret that is the Foucault way, that is derived from Heidegger, that "universal moral and ethical laws" are just masks for the exercise of power, a form of disguising what can't even be called Truth anymore, a continuation of "forgetting" our primal truth and that, in effect :matters:

Because on the surface these arguments might say the same thing, but they start from different places and have different ends. With the first one, we can at least theoretically talk about what a just society looks like. With the second, we are just left posting disconnected discontent on an internet comedy forum.

The second way can lead to something more: that inordinate wealth and power are what should be addressed directly. Obviously this is far easier said than done, in that this will require a massive ontological change as beings, but Heidegger is more suited to asking the right questions rather than generating solutions.

Private Witt
Feb 21, 2019
I've never read any Heidegger, except to know in a general sense the themes and topics he has written about. But I thought I would mention that the movies of Terrence Malick are thought to be heavily influenced by Heidegger, specifically the film The Thin Red Line. Before he became a filmmaker, Malick was a philosophy professor and Rhodes Scholar...he met with Heidegger at one point, and did an English translation of one of his works. Malick's usage of voice-over seems to dovetail into Heidegger's affinity for poetry (in fact, Malick has sometimes asked his actors to write poems).

Generally speaking, most filmmakers head into movies or some other form of art first, while a few are in a different line of work before becoming filmmakers. I think Malick is almost singularly unique in his heavy philosophy background before making the transition, and it infuses his work in a manner that is wholly distinct from anyone else. The Thin Red Line is not a straight forward movie and won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I think it is worth watching if you have any interest in Heidegger's work!

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
I have been fantastically happy with only a single Heidegger quote, about a man being born as many men and dying as only one. I felt that was a concise explanation of the reason for not rushing out and playing red dead redemption two, and instead tutoring people at school, for free, in subjects that I have an inherent understanding of. Not philosophy.

As we have said in the lodge, death is the end of earthy ambitions. What branches of the man I could still be would be pruned without my fairly late in life understanding of this. How many of my bitter leaves unturned, have never had the chance to fall to the ground, and are just still hanging there?

Is this all just the poison fruit William Blake grew for thieves, simply because of the man Heidegger died as?

I really liked your giggle worthy quote OP, probably for the same reason you inadvertently trolled. Nonsense is strung into music all the time. But then again, I look to myself for understanding of other people, and as I have been told again and again by goons, something awful or maybe even the internet in general, is not a good place for discussion in earnest.

Hasn’t Facebook or Reddit demanded we like or dislike something to create community moderation standards?
What has the goon policy been for community moderating those who are not in need of administrative punishment, if not attack the person, instead of the idea they propose in earnest?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

How much are people like Foucault and Derrida directly copying from Heidegger, and how much inbetween distance and transformation is their in the ideas they had?

Also, I think I asked this in the A/T philosophy thread, but how do you get to Heidegger from Hegel, so to speak? How much is Heidegger copying from Hegel, how many layers inbetween, etc?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

glowing-fish posted:

For example, say we read someone say "The police will only ever protect the wealthy, the justice system is only used to protect those in power". You can read that about 50 times a day on here.

There are two ways to interpret that. The first is that there are universal moral and ethical laws, that people can learn and understand through discourse, but that presently, law enforcement and courts do not follow laws derived from those principles. That would be the rationalist, enlightenment take.

The second way to interpret that is the Foucault way, that is derived from Heidegger, that "universal moral and ethical laws" are just masks for the exercise of power, a form of disguising what can't even be called Truth anymore, a continuation of "forgetting" our primal truth and that, in effect :matters:

Because on the surface these arguments might say the same thing, but they start from different places and have different ends. With the first one, we can at least theoretically talk about what a just society looks like. With the second, we are just left posting disconnected discontent on an internet comedy forum.

What if POMO is right and the argument doesn't mean anything in particular except that a person is signaling to other people that they are mad about a thing?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

wateroverfire posted:

What if POMO is right and the argument doesn't mean anything in particular except that a person is signaling to other people that they are mad about a thing?

I suppose that would invite the question of what got you mad enough to come start signalling in this thread?

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 31, 2022

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

splifyphus posted:

There are theological/metaphysical assumptions built into the structures of languages due to their historically contingent genesis and the 20c positivist project to construct a language without said assumptions failed utterly. Two immediate corollaries: nothing worth saying can be said in 'plain language' (which is why nobody worth reading is gonna be easy) and you must ruthlessly always be dissecting said 'plain language' if you want to have even a tiny chance of one day experiencing a thought you might call your own. The alternative is much easier and you're already there - a lifetime of submission to unquestioned assumptions invented by priests and technocrats.

The bolded part strikes me as incredibly dumb, could you elaborate?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

splifyphus posted:

The reason for this is that Hegel invented/discovered a rapacious conceptual machine that preemptively devours everything it encounters, which wasn't a very nice thing to do to future philosophers.

Eh it gors way back at least to Marcion in Antithesis which is radical Paulinism.

Or what about Proclus?

And anyway is it really good to assert the thought of Hegel as a Theonomy ?

"You will encounter this concept often in my writings and in discussions. And whenever you are asked, "What do you mean with theonomy?" then you say: "The way of philosophizing of Anselm of Canterbury," or "The way of philosophizing of Augustine," or "The way of philosophizing" –now I hesitate to say it--" Hegel" -History of Christian Thought Tillich

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 6, 2019

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Norton the First posted:

The bolded part strikes me as incredibly dumb, could you elaborate?

He's just suffering from the sunk cost fallacy and expects that anyone who wastes as much time as he has reading tedious dreck will convince themselves it was actually all worthwhile and its not pointlessly long winded but actually really deep.

Finnegan's Wake would be a much more tolerable bedside companion than Being and Time. The difference between Joyce and Heidegger is that Joyce is actually a good writer.

Actually I should check and see if Finnegan's Wake is on Audible, put on 2x speed and it would probably be a good listen at the gym.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the basic point is not wrong - plain language evolves and can distort the often-technical meaning of a text. philosophical jargon is like all other jargon - you wouldn't expect a biologist to stop talking about alleles because it's not plain language

though yeah heidegger, hegel and kant all write god-awful prose

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
From what I've read of Kant he is clarity itself, especially compared to those two.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

the basic point is not wrong - plain language evolves and can distort the often-technical meaning of a text. philosophical jargon is like all other jargon - you wouldn't expect a biologist to stop talking about alleles because it's not plain language

though yeah heidegger, hegel and kant all write god-awful prose

Yeah, but the assertion that anybody readable isn't really worth reading leaves out, say, Plato. I can't see how he could possibly be serious.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

The actual contention here is that philosophy doesn't deserve the respect afforded to the maths/sciences for any impenetrability and therefore must at minimum be entertaining or reduced to the level of self-help books.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Norton the First posted:

Yeah, but the assertion that anybody readable isn't really worth reading leaves out, say, Plato. I can't see how he could possibly be serious.

Plato may be readable but if anything that often makes his real meaning harder to grasp. See, for instance, the all too common tendency even among people who read it in university to assume that The Republic is a book about designing a government rather than an extended metaphor for human nature.

KVeezy3 posted:

The actual contention here is that philosophy doesn't deserve the respect afforded to the maths/sciences for any impenetrability and therefore must at minimum be entertaining or reduced to the level of self-help books.

That's true, but if you over correct for this too much you end up with neoclassical economics, which is an even worse outcome.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Helsing posted:

Plato may be readable but if anything that often makes his real meaning harder to grasp. See, for instance, the all too common tendency even among people who read it in university to assume that The Republic is a book about designing a government rather than an extended metaphor for human nature.

Ehhh, I seriously doubt that his real meaning would be easier to grasp if he wrote like a German.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Norton the First posted:

Ehhh, I seriously doubt that his real meaning would be easier to grasp if he wrote like a German.

At least most people are comfortable admitting they don't really know what those guys were talking about, whereas Plato still somewhat regularly gets trotted out any time some blowhard hack like Andrew Sullivan needs to polish his latest turd on the failures of democracy. Arguably - and let's hope I'm not doing exactly the kind of superficial read on Plato that I just warned again - thinking you know something is a deeper form of ignorance than knowing that you know nothing. That, after all, was said to be the reason why the Oracle declared that no man was wiser than Socrates.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

wateroverfire posted:

To discuss that question, I started a thread about rationalism, but it didn't really take off.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

glowing-fish posted:

To discuss that question, I started a thread about rationalism, but it didn't really take off.

I take a break from SA and I miss all kinds of things. =(

glowing-fish posted:

" the poetry of language, the language of poetry, and how they are both silent"

I mean, I couldn't even write that without giggling.

I usually don't like faking people out, I thought it was a clear reference, especially since I did the same thing earlier in the thread.

This was the high point of this thread, IMO.

Heidegger is essentially an early 20th century ERIPSA. Had the latter been born much earlier and I guess been a Nazi he also might have been one of the pillars of modern western philosophy.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

glowing-fish posted:

The mass man, the man of the city, divorced from being, scampering from one event seen-through-the-eyes-of-others to another, is unable to understand the poetry of language, the language of poetry, and how they are both silent. And so he looks into Being, looks into the logos, not the logos of category, but the logos of connection, of linking, that ideas-as-thoughts-as-words-as-poetry, are what is Being-there-as-human-as-history-as-Volk, and he calls it "nothing". Because the teleology of "interest", where essence leads, through a series of hints and allegations and things-left-unsaid, to existence, and where existence, in its circuitous path that is not the forest-path of the German Worker who joyfully uses the trees in the service of the Volk, is lead back into essence, this game is the game the urbanite plays and speaks, and where the true nature of Being, that forgotten ray of light piercing the forest kanopy, becomes "boring", becomes "Nothing".

An illustration of this sentiment, this ideology in action, can be found in Murnau's "Sunrise." This passage, while utilizing words of a more formal character, is essentially romantic in its worldview.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

CountFosco posted:

An illustration of this sentiment, this ideology in action, can be found in Murnau's "Sunrise." This passage, while utilizing words of a more formal character, is essentially romantic in its worldview.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Have you seen Sunrise? Are you unaware that one of the big themes is the man of the city versus the man of the country?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I saw Sunrise but can remember exactly zero things about it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So I've been thinking about this thread. But not so much about Heidegger. More glowing-fish orginal premise that Heidegger is relevant to current event. And I think the broader question it raises is that of our relationship with symbolic orders and ourselves and how they can interact and how this question is being manipulated by malign actors.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

BrandorKP posted:

So I've been thinking about this thread. But not so much about Heidegger. More glowing-fish orginal premise that Heidegger is relevant to current event. And I think the broader question it raises is that of our relationship with symbolic orders and ourselves and how they can interact and how this question is being manipulated by malign actors.

Although it didn't get much response, the "What is rationality" thread was meant to address this, and I will make a post about this issue, right after dinner.

("right after dinner" is an important phrase, because I am not a detached intellect, but a corporeal being who requires sustenance, which is one of the points of the post)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

I am a complete ignoramus when it comes to philosophy but I have really enjoyed reading this thread and have learned a lot from it, thank you all for posting :)