Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
There no is debate – Heidegger was an unrepentant anti-Semite. He joined the party in 1933 but was worried about jews before them, he remained with the party until 1945 despite them not being Blut und Boden enough for him. After the war he never apologised but lived in his loving hut in the Black Forest.

Literally there is no debate about him being a piece of poo poo Nazi and anti-semite. Even the head of the Heidegger Society resigned in 2015 when Heidegger's diaries were published in Germany.

That said, feel free to discuss Heidegger's philosophy…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
To clarify: I find myself in antipathy when it comes to Heidegger as a philosopher and I don't care to parse Sein und Zeit to make a proper judgement, as far as that is possible. As a person Heidegger was a moral idiot and a Nazi and there should be no excuses.

As for the Nazi party - Heidegger fell out with them because their racism was too scientific and IIRC 34-35 was when time he realised this.

glowing-fish posted:

he was not anti-Semitic. AFAIK, his opposition to Jews was that they represented an element of detachment and separateness, somewhat akin to the notion of "Rootless Cosmopolitans".

I can't tell if you are trolling me with this poo poo.

E: Bernhard is funny on Heidegger (and Austrians) in Old Masters:

quote:

I still value Stifter more highly than Heidegger, who has always repelled me, because everything about Heidegger has always been repulsive to me, not only the night-cap on his head and his homespun winter long-johns above the stove which he himself had lit at Todtnauberg, not only his Black Forest walking stick which he himself had whittled, in fact his entire hand-whittled Black Forest philosophy, everything about that tragicomical man has always been repulsive to me, has always profoundly repulsed me whenever I even thought of it; I only had to know a single line of Heidegger to feel repulsed, let alone when reading Heidegger, Reger said; I have always thought of Heidegger as a charlatan who merely utilised everything around him and who, during that utilisation, sunned himslef on his bench at Todtnauberg. When I think that even super-intelligent people have been taken in by Heidegger and that even one of my best women friends wrote a dissertation about Heidegger, and moreover wrote that dissertation quite seriously, I feel sick to this day, Reger said. His nothing is without reason is the most ludicrous thing ever, Reger said. But the Germans are impressed by posturing, Reger said, the Germans have an interest in posturing, that is one of their most striking characteristics

Boatswain fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 22, 2019

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
From what I've read of Kant he is clarity itself, especially compared to those two.