Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Witt
Feb 21, 2019
I've never read any Heidegger, except to know in a general sense the themes and topics he has written about. But I thought I would mention that the movies of Terrence Malick are thought to be heavily influenced by Heidegger, specifically the film The Thin Red Line. Before he became a filmmaker, Malick was a philosophy professor and Rhodes Scholar...he met with Heidegger at one point, and did an English translation of one of his works. Malick's usage of voice-over seems to dovetail into Heidegger's affinity for poetry (in fact, Malick has sometimes asked his actors to write poems).

Generally speaking, most filmmakers head into movies or some other form of art first, while a few are in a different line of work before becoming filmmakers. I think Malick is almost singularly unique in his heavy philosophy background before making the transition, and it infuses his work in a manner that is wholly distinct from anyone else. The Thin Red Line is not a straight forward movie and won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I think it is worth watching if you have any interest in Heidegger's work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU