Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's the 2019 Oscars!

There is a Google form to fill out your Oscar ballot:

https://goo.gl/forms/ZZ5z4tVBNHN2v3DJ2

I'll work with mods to see that there is some sort of reward for winning (or getting the tying score). I think usually it is a free av. The form is currently collecting emails so that I don't have to do tally work inside the thread (I can apply the correct answers later and the scoring will sort itself out and send you your final score, which I will also post a leaderboard for when we're all wrapped up). If there is some big problem with this, it'll get worked on.

Answers will be accepted before 8 PM ET/5 PM PT, February 24.

Let's talk about Oscar news, history, scuttlebutt, snubs, and so forth.

Your nominees:

Best Picture
Black Panther
BlackKklansman
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
Green Book
Roma
A Star Is Born
Vice

Best Actress
Yalitza Aparicio, Roma
Glenn Close, The Wife
Olivia Colman, The Favourite
Lady Gaga, A Star Is Born
Melissa McCarthy, Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Best Actor
Christian Bale, Vice
Bradley Cooper, A Star Is Born
Willem Dafoe, At Eternity’s Gate
Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody
Viggo Mortensen, Green Book

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams, Vice
Marina de Tavira, Roma
Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk
Emma Stone, The Favourite
Rachel Weisz, The Favourite

Best Supporting Actor
Mahershala Ali, Green Book
Adam Driver, BlackKklansman
Sam Elliott, A Star Is Born
Richard E. Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Sam Rockwell, Vice

Best Director
Spike Lee, BlackKklansman
Pawel Pawlikowski, Cold War
Yorgos Lanthimos, The Favourite
Alfonso Cuarón, Roma
Adam McKay, Vice

Best Adapted Screenplay
Joel and Ethan Coen, The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs
Charlie Wachtel, David Rabinowitz, Kevin Willmott, and Spike Lee, BlackKklansman
Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Barry Jenkins, If Beale Street Could Talk
A Star Is Born

Best Original Screenplay
Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara, The Favourite
Paul Schrader, First Reformed
Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie, and Peter Farrelly, Green Book
Alfonso Cuarón, Roma
Adam McKay, Vice

Best Foreign Language Film
Capernaum (Lebanon)
Cold War (Poland)
Never Look Away (Germany)
Roma (Mexico)
Shoplifters (Japan)

Best Production Design
Black Panther
The Favourite
First Man
Mary Poppins Returns
Roma

Best Visual Effects
Avengers: Infinity War
Christopher Robin
First Man
Ready Player One
Solo: A Star Wars Story

Best Editing
BlackKklansman
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
Green Book
Vice

Best Cinematography
Cold War
The Favourite
Never Look Away
Roma
A Star Is Born

Best Animated Feature
Incredibles 2
Isle Of Dogs
Mirai
Ralph Breaks The Internet
Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse

Best Documentary Feature
Free Solo
Hale County, This Morning This Evening
Minding The Gap
Of Fathers And Sons
RBG

Best Costume Design
The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs
Black Panther
The Favourite
Mary Poppins Returns
Mary Queen Of Scots

Best Makeup And Hairstyling
Border
Mary Queen Of Scots
Vice

Best Original Score
Black Panther
BlackKklansman
If Beale Street Could Talk
Isle Of Dogs
Mary Poppins Returns

Best Original Song
“All The Stars,” Black Panther
“I Will Fight,” RBG
“The Place Where Lost Things Go,” Mary Poppins Returns
“Shallow,” A Star Is Born
“When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings,” The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs

Best Sound Editing
Black Panther
Bohemian Rhapsody
First Man
A Quiet Place
Roma

Best Sound Mixing
Black Panther
Bohemian Rhapsody
First Man
Roma
A Star Is Born

Best Animated Short Film
Animal Behavior
Bao
Late Afternoon
One Small Step
Weekends

Best Documentary Short Subject
Black Sheep
End Game
Lifeboat
A Night At The Garden
Period. End Of Sentence

Best Live Action Short Film
Detainment
Fauve
Marguerite
Mother
Skin

NOTABLE SNUBS
Zero female nominees for best director - total of one winner and five nominees, ever
Ethan Hawke left out for best actor
Bradley Cooper left out for best director
John David Washington left out for best actor
Widows shut out
Won’t You Be My Neighbor? left out
Eighth Grade left out

Name Change fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
What’s up with nominating that one guy for Best Director but not his movie for Best Picture? Don’t they have up to 10 slots for Best Picture but only 5 for Best Director? Seems kind of weird that according to the academy he did one of top 5 best jobs directing this year but his movie doesn’t even make the cut of the Top 10 movies.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

wow Sorry to Bother You is nowhere in this list

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Black Panther is going to win and i am going to be very mad

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Saddest Rhino posted:

There isn't a year where there shouldn't be ten Best Picture nominees. Hell the reason they have ten is because they kept overlooking stuff. gently caress this "It was a good year/bad year for nominees" poo poo.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

That's one of the best Supporting Actress lists I can remember. Every one of them could win, and the crazy thing is that there's lots of others you could add. I feel like Tessa Thompson alone could have gotten nominations for SBTBY , Creed, or Annihilation.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Snowman_McK posted:

Black Panther is going to win and i am going to be very mad

Green Book feels like the old-academy safe bet, Black Panther is the hilarious wildcard, but my gut tells me Bohemian Rhapsody will get best pic. And I will be mega pissed because that means Singer will be rewarded for generally being The Worst.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Vice, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Green Book getting nominated for Best Picture over Hereditary, Widows, and Sorry to Bother You is a travesty but not an unexpected one.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

QuoProQuid posted:

Vice, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Green Book getting nominated for Best Picture over Hereditary, Widows, and Sorry to Bother You is a travesty but not an unexpected one.

I didn’t think Hereditary had much of a chance of getting anything, but I had a small spark of hope Toni Collete would get a nom.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
A24 just didn't campaign (enough) for Hereditary.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

drat Aquaman gets nothing for effects? I guess purple Bryan Cranston is more amazing than literal crab people

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

e: these are the movies/people who SHOULD win out of the nominees. i doubt many actually WILL outside of a few categories.

picture
roma or the favourite

director
pawel pawlikowski

actor
this category sucks. willem dafoe i guess

actress
yalitza aparicio

supporting actor
richard e. grant

supporting actress
regina king

original screenplay
first reformed

adapted screenplay
if beale street could talk

animated feature
spiders-man

documentary feature
hale county this morning this evening

foreign language film
woah a category with multiple good films nominated. weird how it always turns out this way. shoplifters or cold war

actual best movie of the year
the other side of the wind. if that's considered cheating then you were never really here

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You Were Never Really Here was so good, I'm mad that it didn't get nominated for anything because Lynne Ramsay is maybe my favorite living director and she only makes a feature film once every six years. Guess it didn't have a big enough PR campaign. :mad:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
Detainment is getting a lot of criticism. Anyone aware of it? I'm conflicted on it. The director didn't contact the family for permission and I guess the boys are not depicted as caricatures of satan incarnate.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Radirot posted:

Detainment is getting a lot of criticism. Anyone aware of it? I'm conflicted on it. The director didn't contact the family for permission and I guess the boys are not depicted as caricatures of satan incarnate.

I think it's in poor taste yea, to make a movie about a real life murder of a child without getting permission from the child's parents. It's not like it happened 50+ years ago either, this was 1990. I'm pretty sure Alpha Dog did the same thing, never got permission from the Markowitz family and they basically had to just accept that the movie was being made and deal with it the best they could.

I guess all you have to do is change the names, in Detainment they're just "Jon" and "Robert" and Alpha Dog changes the Markowitz family to Magursky or something.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Best Visual Effects
Solo: A Star Wars Story

lol Seriously?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Slutitution posted:

lol Seriously?

I literally couldn't see 3/4 of what was even going on in that movie

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hi,

There is a Google form to fill out your Oscar ballot:

https://goo.gl/forms/ZZ5z4tVBNHN2v3DJ2

I'll work with mods to see that there is some sort of reward for winning (or getting the tying score). I think usually it is a free av. The form is currently collecting emails so that I don't have to do tally work inside the thread (I can apply the correct answers later and the scoring will sort itself out and send you your final score, which I will also post a leaderboard for when we're all wrapped up). If there is some big problem with this, it'll get worked on.

Answers will be accepted before 8 PM ET/5 PM PT, February 24.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 25, 2019

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
burning, death of stalin and blindspotting all getting 0 love..

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

This year voters have a 1 in 57,220,458,984,374,900 (57.22 quadrillion) chance at randomly guessing all the correct winners.

QuoProQuid posted:

Between those three nominations I'm wondering which won winning would cause the biggest meltdown.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Answers will be accepted before 8 PM ET/5 PM PT, March 4.

The ceremony is on February 24th.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Going by the trailer that seemed like something the Academy would not appreciate. I haven't seen it yet but it is #1 in my Netflix queue right now.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly considering how much bad CGI is in Black Panther especially in the climax I find it offensive Into The Spiderverse is written off as just an "animated" film, it has a thousand times more style, creativity, and emotional resonance than any of the movies on the Best Picture list. Let me tell you, when this scene hits right before the ending, after everything that builds up to it, it loving rips your heart apart in two because it goddamn earned it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euUGPQZoHw

I can't remember the last time I've seen a movie where you were loving screaming for the main character to succeed, and god loving drat, does Spiderverse run away with it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Zogo posted:

This year voters have a 1 in 57,220,458,984,374,900 (57.22 quadrillion) chance at randomly guessing all the correct winners.

Between those three nominations I'm wondering which won winning would cause the biggest meltdown.

The ceremony is on February 24th.

Going by the trailer that seemed like something the Academy would not appreciate. I haven't seen it yet but it is #1 in my Netflix queue right now.

Whoops! Fixed.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Taintrunner posted:

I can't remember the last time I've seen a movie where you were loving screaming for the main character to succeed, and god loving drat, does Spiderverse run away with it.

Somehow animation is the only category I’m all that invested in this year, and this definitely deserves it. It’s frustrating that Disney/Pixar just kind of wins every year. I mean, yeah, they make good movies...but who’s actually doing something interesting or challenging or valuable with animation as a medium? I’m sure Incredibles 2 is good, but how is it different than the dozen or so highly-budgeted CG features they’ve made before?

Not to poo poo on Coco, which is a great and really touching movie. But Loving Vincent hand-painted every goddamn frame in the style of Van Gogh; it’s incredible. Zootopia (yes it’s not Pixar) was fun and well-made, but Kubo was a painstaking, beautiful movie with unbelievable stop-motion.

It’s odd to me that a body like the Academy, that’s so opposed to live-action commercial poo poo winning awards for artistry, so consistently defaults to the biggest, most commercial animated output from the largest and most profitable name in that space every year.

(Isle of Dogs has a pretty good chance, too, I guess...I’d be fine with that. But for real, Spiderverse kicks rear end.)

Xealot fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 25, 2019

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
Remember that most of the Academy are old farts so they probably don't even bother watching the animated films and just go "eh Pixar is usually best film in this category so I'll just vote for them"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Purple Monkey posted:

Remember that most of the Academy are old farts so they probably don't even bother watching the animated films and just go "eh Pixar is usually best film in this category so I'll just vote for them"

Isn't Best Animated voted on by people who are in animation?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

General Dog posted:

Isn't Best Animated voted on by people who are in animation?

For the nominations, yes. The entire voting body gets to vote for the winners however.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For the best picture category, I have only seen Black Panther. :( Going to try my best to fix that over the next few months.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Has anybody seen Mirai? Being the first non-Ghibli anime to be nominated seems notable.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

About six percent of the voting members of the Academy admitted to not watching the Best Picture nominees in 2015. I imagine the rate for the other categories is higher and, in fact, vaguely remember an anonymous interview where a member admitted to randomly filling in several categories because they didn’t interest him and he thought there were too many movies to watch.

I’ll see if I can dig it up when I get out of work

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

QuoProQuid posted:

About six percent of the voting members of the Academy admitted to not watching the Best Picture nominees in 2015. I imagine the rate for the other categories is higher and, in fact, vaguely remember an anonymous interview where a member admitted to randomly filling in several categories because they didn’t interest him and he thought there were too many movies to watch.

I gotta know how few people watch the shorts

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

QuoProQuid posted:

I was thinking of Hollywood Reporter's annual Brutally Honest Oscar Voter Ballot. Some quotes across different ballots:

quote:

I am really pissed that we have nine nominees. You know, people are sitting at a restaurant on Sunset Plaza or someplace and one says to his friends, "Hey, I was nominated for best picture!" And then a guy at the next table says, "I was nominated for best picture!"

And then the waiter says, "I was nominated for best picture!" Everybody's f---ing nominated for best picture! It should be a contest — that's what this is about! My feeling is that there should be three to five nominees, tops.

quote:

I don't watch the animated movies.

quote:

I just don't have the time to see [the Best Animated Short, Bet Documentary Short, or the Best Live-Action Short nominees]. I'd rather see as many of the feature films as I can.

quote:

[On Best Makeup and Hairstyling], I didn't see two of them, and I hated the third. I am voting for Mad Max solely because I want to stop The Revenant.

quote:

[For Best Documentary Feature,] I did not see 13th or Life, Animated. I liked O.J. — didn't I watch that on television? [It quickly is established that the version the voter saw on television was the FX limited series The People vs. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story.]

Also, in case you were wondering, there's a common theme of Academy members getting very confused by horror and sci-fi (one voter calls Arrival dumb because it is about "jellyfish from space") and conveniently forgetting/getting annoyed by movies with minority leads.

quote:

What no one wants to say out loud is that Selma is a well-crafted movie, but there's no art to it. If the movie had been directed by a 60-year-old white male, I don't think that people would have been carrying on about it to the level that they were. And as far as the accusations about the Academy being racist? Yes, most members are white males, but they are not the cast of Deliverance — they had to get into the Academy to begin with, so they're not cretinous, snaggletoothed hillbillies. When a movie about black people is good, members vote for it. But if the movie isn't that good, am I supposed to vote for it just because it has black people in it? I've got to tell you, having the cast show up in T-shirts saying "I can't breathe" [at their New York premiere] — I thought that stuff was offensive. Did they want to be known for making the best movie of the year or for stirring up poo poo?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gentle reminder that there have been five women nominated for Best Director, ever, which is loving nuts.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the only good thing I think of regarding this year's nominees is that Yorgos Lanthimos got his name on it though I doubt he will get best director/film. Still really cool since he might be the weirdest creator on both of those lists.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Gentle reminder that there have been five women nominated for Best Director, ever, which is loving nuts.

Although that's really just a symptom of the bigger issue of women not having the opportunity to direct many movies to begin with.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Every year Lynne Ramsey is eligible and not even nominated my blood pressure goes up a tch.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

BAFTA removed Bryan Singer from contention over the accusations leveled at him. Rami Malek has begun to speak vaguely of his poor relationship with him on set.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/feb/07/bafta-removes-bryan-singer-from-awards-citation-bohemian-rhapsody

https://entertainment.inquirer.net/317294/rami-malek-working-with-bryan-singer-was-not-pleasant

The Academy has announced that this year there will be no host.

https://6abc.com/entertainment/its-official-the-oscars-wont-have-a-host/5123325/

I have four entries so far in the contest. :smith:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Armond White and Jack Black should cohost the 2019 Academy Awards.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Pirate Jet posted:

Every year Lynne Ramsey is eligible and not even nominated my blood pressure goes up a tch.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Did you not see the Oscars voting site I made and tried to pimp out in the awards thread/sticky the last month? :( http://crucialweb.net/oscars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s pretty big that they nominated a foreign film’s director at all. Roma I get it because it’s a US studio but Cold War? That’s big.