Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I only care about Beal Street winning score and Cold War winning cinematography. All the other awards can blow it out their rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

They're not even airing Best Cinematography this year, though.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/academy-unveils-4-oscars-categories-be-presented-commercial-breaks-1185505

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

no loving way

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEu1dFLwf3E

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

that's loving insane. why wouldn't you just relegate all the shorts categories to the breaks? obviously every award should be aired but that would mean the oscars aren't garbage

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Oscars are a form of violence

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

you know, that award for how the entire film is captured for posterity? nbd

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lol cinematography is literally the one award where they have an excuse to just play it extended decontextualized gorgeous shots, the kind of thing people might associate with a motion picture, but nah let’s do sound editing or some poo poo that nobody will be able to discern over their lovely TV speakers

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Maybe it sounds dumb, I know the Oscars have done and supported plenty of extremely questionable poo poo in the past, but for some reason this is the last straw for me I think. The idea of not recognizing cinematography(and editing) at what's supposed to be the most important awards for film is just a laughable disgrace. It's a killshot to any bit of credibility they had left, and I know for a lot of people they already had none.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
My theory is the four categories they aren't showing are the ones that Disney/ABC doesn't have movies in. The other categories which you'd think they would cut out (animated short/visual effects/production/costume design/either sound) have Disney/ABC nominations and they can't cut Foreign Language film or Documentary.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe it sounds dumb, I know the Oscars have done and supported plenty of extremely questionable poo poo in the past, but for some reason this is the last straw for me I think. The idea of not recognizing cinematography(and editing) at what's supposed to be the most important awards for film is just a laughable disgrace. It's a killshot to any bit of credibility they had left, and I know for a lot of people they already had none.

Naw man, this is exactly how I feel.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

We barely missed the addition of a "Popular Movie" category this year when there was an internal pushback against doing it. Meanwhile the collective Academy cannot think of 10 movies a year to nominate for Best Picture, and three of those they did pick are bad to very bad.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hollywood Reporter: American Society of Cinematographers President Issues Statement on 2019 Oscars.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/american-society-cinematographers-president-issues-statement-2019-oscars-1185826

The cinematographers of course are not happy.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

"we cannot quietly condone this; instead we will loudly roll over"

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They’ll film their rollover in gorgeous grainy 35mm

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Sodomy Hussein posted:

We barely missed the addition of a "Popular Movie" category this year when there was an internal pushback against doing it. Meanwhile the collective Academy cannot think of 10 movies a year to nominate for Best Picture, and three of those they did pick are bad to very bad.

four imo

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

6 because mission impossible fallout and spider man should be up for best picture... and spider man should win.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Basebf555 posted:

Is it really surprising how most people don't give a poo poo about the Oscars anymore given how they're still nominating garbage like SOLO for best visual effects? That film's lighting issues are almost as bad as AVP:R's.

Let the Oscars end up forgettable like the Saturn Awards. It's for the better.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FIRE THE OSCARS

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

plz somebody start a new awards

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

"we cannot quietly condone this; instead we will loudly roll over"

I don't know what you expect of them. No one accepts the award? They stall for time during the acceptance until the show has to come back from commercial? Someone sets a fire backstage?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I don't know what you expect of them. No one accepts the award? They stall for time during the acceptance until the show has to come back from commercial? Someone sets a fire backstage?

All of those simultaneously?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

All of those simultaneously?

The 91st Academy Awards, hosted by the cinematerrorists

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i would definitely prefer a mao tse-tung hour style takeover of the oscars over whatever godawful pablum we'll be getting

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

R. Guyovich posted:

i would definitely prefer a mao tse-tung hour style takeover of the oscars over whatever godawful pablum we'll be getting

I suppose adversity of oppression is better than the adversity of mediocrity

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...llot-19-1187874

You still have four days to turn in your ballot and win a new avatar!!! I have 11 responses so far.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Sodomy Hussein posted:

which three in your opinion

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Preston Waters posted:

which three in your opinion

Bohemian Rhapsody, Green Book, Vice

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Bohemian Rhapsody, Green Book, Vice

Vice is the worst movie of the last five years, if not longer.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Who doesn't want to see 2 hours of Christian Bale mumbling through lines?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

His vocal affectations in that movie are awful.

Nobody seems interested in being there, and I seriously don't blame them. Considering all the great names attached to the thing there's not a single good performance, including Adams who's normally untouchable. And yet it still manages to be a manipulative, pandering, condescending, exploitative piece of dismal poo poo.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

His vocal affectations in that movie are awful.

Nobody seems interested in being there, and I seriously don't blame them. Considering all the great names attached to the thing there's not a single good performance, including Adams who's normally untouchable. And yet it still manages to be a manipulative, pandering, condescending, exploitative piece of dismal poo poo.

It's mostly condescending with a lot of SNL-tier performances. I 100% don't buy "Bale disappeared into Cheney!" Cheney doesn't actually sound or look like that, at all. Bale nominally looks like someone other than Christian Bale, from a distance.

As far as the writing, you almost feel the writing thinking about what could have been if only Cheney was on "our" side. Like it depicts him as a slavish soldier for his cause and the only problem is his dedication to cartoonishly unholy principles. It's not a character study that attempts for us to understand Cheney, because the film itself admits that it doesn't understand or know Cheney. It's just an assassination, common to any of 10,000 stories on left-wing news sites, except uncommon because it's not particularly convincing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It's mostly condescending with a lot of SNL-tier performances. I 100% don't buy "Bale disappeared into Cheney!" Cheney doesn't actually sound or look like that, at all. Bale nominally looks like someone other than Christian Bale, from a distance.

As far as the writing, you almost feel the writing thinking about what could have been if only Cheney was on "our" side. Like it depicts him as a slavish soldier for his cause and the only problem is his dedication to cartoonishly unholy principles. It's not a character study that attempts for us to understand Cheney, because the film itself admits that it doesn't understand or know Cheney. It's just an assassination, common to any of 10,000 stories on left-wing news sites, except uncommon because it's not particularly convincing.

I mean, in some sort of disjointed Great Man of History way it gives him full blame for the Iraq War, formation of ISIS (lol), etc, without going into the complexities of those events and pardons just about every other warhawk who endorsed the slaughter. THEN, after it's narrowed the blame to one person rather than a systemic culture of imperialist violence and resource extraction it gives him the last loving word...

...in which he basically looks at us and says "I did what I had to do in order to protect your freedom".

Don't even get me started on the post credit scene.

gently caress that noise.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

Vice is the worst movie of the last five years, if not longer.

This is spoken from someone who has not had to endure Darkest Hour.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
There’s no way Vice is a worse movie than The Greatest Showman.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Arkhams Razor posted:

This is spoken from someone who has not had to endure Darkest Hour.

gently caress, you got me.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't like Vice but I don't think it's even the worst film nominated this year.

That's Bohemian Rhapsody by leaps and bounds.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Just watched A Star is Born for the first time (available on rental for 99 cents) and I legitimately do not get the ending

For some reason, the audience expects Lady Gaga to put on a show for them and sing within like 48 hours of her husband committing suicide? That would be national news and everyone would be very sympathetic towards her and would completely understand her cancelling a few tour dates in the immediate aftermath of HER HUSBAND COMMITTING SUICIDE. And instead its like "No, the show must go on!" and she performs a concert in the immediate aftermath of her loving spouse killing himself. What the everloving gently caress.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Question, and not one really intended as commentary so much as general film trivia: if Black Panther were to win best picture, would it be the only winner to feature an after-credit stinger? I was talking to a friend about this and we couldn’t think of any past winners that had that gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

Question, and not one really intended as commentary so much as general film trivia: if Black Panther were to win best picture, would it be the only winner to feature an after-credit stinger? I was talking to a friend about this and we couldn’t think of any past winners that had that gimmick.

Was the scene with Lecter tracking down Chilton in South America or wherever a post-credits thing? I can't remember.