Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The winners of the contest are Mukaikubo and Shneak. This entitles you to a free av change. Contact Franchescanado.

16 / 24 Mukaikubo
16 / 24 Shneak
15 / 24 Almost Blue
14 / 24 nerdman42
13 / 24 Purple Monkey
13 / 24 oneforthevine
13 / 24 MorgaineDax
13 / 24 pospysyl
12 / 24 Average Lettuce
12 / 24 Sodomy Hussein
11 / 24 QuoProQuid
11 / 24 Kangra
10 / 24 I, Butthole
10 / 24 Jack‘s Flow
9 / 24 Preston Waters
9 / 24 Apes-A-Poppin
8 / 24 Anukahn
7 / 24 Chili
7 / 24 Vintersorg
7 / 24 R. Guyovich
6 / 24 Janky mofo
4 / 24 Free Cog

Most Missed Answer:
Green Book for Original Screenplay (2 correct responses)
Green Book for Best Picture (3)
Skin for Documentary Short Subject (3)

Foregone Conclusion:
Bao for Animated Short Film (18 correct responses)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

I think with Roma winning three major categories and Netflix getting another win in Short Doco, the "Netflix bias" argument might be unsound

You should probably read the article for the more in-depth argument.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i'm just surprised they gave crash another best picture oscar after all this time

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

this is why i only watch the people's choice awards - where the fans are in charge

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

pyrotek posted:

You should probably read the article for the more in-depth argument.

Why the gently caress would I do that before posting a hot take

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This must have been written way in advance but drat does this opinion piece systematically dismantle Green Book’s badness

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-oscars-green-book-worst-best-picture-winner-20190224-story.html

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

https://twitter.com/ryanwrd/status/1099914675901280261

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Most Missed Answer:
Green Book for Best Picture (3)

As one of the few who correctly predicted this I've never felt so dirty about being right

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The winners of the contest are Mukaikubo and Shneak. This entitles you to a free av change. Contact Franchescanado.

16 / 24 Mukaikubo
16 / 24 Shneak

I'd like to thank the academy for being predictably stupid

I'll do it later this week, it may be time for me to get a gang tag too

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Normally this kind of stuff is sore loserdom but given what he lost against, he has every right to be salty

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah and it’s not as if he would’ve reacted like that to any of the other results.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I know people always say this, but this has gotta be the worst Academy Awards of recent memory. Bad nominees, worst possible winners for nearly every important category, just awful all around. Hopefully all the old white dudes who vote on this crap will die soon.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Green Book winning over BlackKklansman is a perfect summary of America’s continued reliance on “safe” narratives about race and other social issues.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Waiting for a generation to die out is always the most impotent form of activism.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That's why I prefer the most direct form of activism, arguing with people on the internet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

Green Book winning over BlackKklansman is a perfect summary of America’s continued reliance on “safe” narratives about race and other social issues.

It's amazing how "ridicules David Duke" is not yet considered "safe" enough to win an Oscar. Like, I watched BlackkKlansman and thought that it was definitely palatable enough for the mass audience to appreciate it and celebrate it but apparently the David Dukes of the world are still protected in this country. I guess the joke is on me for still being surprised by this poo poo.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Fart City posted:

BlacKkKlansman is honestly pretty safe too.

The unsafe movies are probably Blindspotting, or the movie that espouses communist ideology.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Basebf555 posted:

It's amazing how "ridicules David Duke" is not yet considered "safe" enough to win an Oscar. Like, I watched BlackkKlansman and thought that it was definitely palatable enough for the mass audience to appreciate it and celebrate it but apparently the David Dukes of the world are still protected in this country. I guess the joke is on me for still being surprised by this poo poo.

There is some other stuff too, but I think the ending with Trump footage and very directly connecting him to white supremecy is what pushes it over the edge of "not safe."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

exquisite tea posted:

I know people always say this, but this has gotta be the worst Academy Awards of recent memory. Bad nominees, worst possible winners for nearly every important category, just awful all around. Hopefully all the old white dudes who vote on this crap will die soon.

Doesn't help that it wasn't an especially great year of movies to begin with. Anyway, at least the show itself was pretty strong.

Also since I don't have any better place to drop this take, Chi-Raq was better than BlacKKKlansman

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Basebf555 posted:

To clarify what I meant a bit, BKK is definitely a lot more confrontational about the hard truths of race in America. You have the suburban housewife planting bombs for the kkk. The victory of the protagonists is undercut by the sense that on a macro-level nothing has really changed. And I don’t think I’ve ever heard a theater go more silent than during the gutpunch of that last scene.

Green Book is a movie ostensibly about race that in actuality is a redemption tale of a white racist, delivered from the perspective of said racist.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Green Book would have voted for Obama a third time, if it could

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Green Book shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
I hope next year they have Billy Crystal host and make him do the whole thing in his blackface jazzman character.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And now to present the first award, Ten Danson.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Almost Blue posted:

There is some other stuff too, but I think the ending with Trump footage and very directly connecting him to white supremecy is what pushes it over the edge of "not safe."

Calling Republicans something bad is one of the most safest things you can do in Hollywood.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
https://www.thebeaverton.com/2019/0...ck-friend-once/

"Experts agree that if BlacKkKlansman and Black Panther don’t lose to the one that looks like Driving Miss Daisy Part Two, they will instead lose to the one that’s directed by an accused serial rapist."

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

General Dog posted:

Doesn't help that it wasn't an especially great year of movies to begin with. Anyway, at least the show itself was pretty strong.

Also since I don't have any better place to drop this take, Chi-Raq was better than BlacKKKlansman

I think that’s only a hot take because no one watched Chi-raq, which has problems but is a fun theatre kid Lee movie

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Basebf555 posted:

Did you watch the ending, though? Y'know, the part where the movie where you just spent the last two hours laughing at David Duke, isn't he silly, isn't it nice and safe that we can make fun of the ridiculous KKK which is entirely in the past and not a problem any more suddenly kicks you in the goddamn teeth and screams at the top of its lungs that nothing's fixed, nothing's in the past, and these assholes are winning and it is at least partially your fault because you thought they were nice and safe and defanged in the dustbin of history?

That was the unsafe bit.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

black klansman was preachy as gently caress while being totally unrealistic. i genuinely believe it’s some sort of patronizing reverse-racism that got it nominated for anything at all. that and because it’s spike lee and it’s his turn or whatever.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Vegetable posted:

black klansman was preachy as gently caress while being totally unrealistic. i genuinely believe it’s some sort of patronizing reverse-racism that got it nominated for anything at all. that and because it’s spike lee and it’s his turn or whatever.

Yikes.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You gotta be pretty naive to think bunch of white Oscar voters didn't just decide to nominate the most famous black director they know instead of spending a few hours to watch the lesser known but better stuff like sorry to bother you and the hate u give and if beale street could talk

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I haven't seen If Beale Street Could Talk or Sorry To Bother You yet so I can't compare them, but I will say that I thought Blackkklansman did itself a disservice by making the KKK giant idiots (because they don't come across as a credible threat) and all of the constant comparisons to modern day stuff during the period stuff was slightly too over the top. The film has no subtlety--and yeah, if it were a film that general audiences were watching, I would get it, but if that audience went to any race film in 2018 they went to see Green Book, not the new Spike Lee joint. But they probably didn't go see any of them.

The ending was pretty good--I did love the surreal near-horror dolly shot ending on the burning cross, and the smash cut to modern day was pretty loving devistating, but then it turned into a five minute recap of racist poo poo since Trump was elected and lost a little of the effect.

Basically the film needed a better editor.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

asecondduck posted:

*Academy Award winning editor, John Ottman, comes running through the door*

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

DeimosRising posted:

I think that’s only a hot take because no one watched Chi-raq, which has problems but is a fun theatre kid Lee movie

chi-raq is much better than blackkklansman and every spike lee movie since 25th hour for that matter.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I saw Sorry to Bother You in the opening medley of films, so they were definitely aware of it. It’s a crying shame it didn’t even get a single nomination though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

asecondduck posted:

I haven't seen If Beale Street Could Talk or Sorry To Bother You yet so I can't compare them, but I will say that I thought Blackkklansman did itself a disservice by making the KKK giant idiots (because they don't come across as a credible threat) and all of the constant comparisons to modern day stuff during the period stuff was slightly too over the top. The film has no subtlety--and yeah, if it were a film that general audiences were watching, I would get it, but if that audience went to any race film in 2018 they went to see Green Book, not the new Spike Lee joint. But they probably didn't go see any of them.

The ending was pretty good--I did love the surreal near-horror dolly shot ending on the burning cross, and the smash cut to modern day was pretty loving devistating, but then it turned into a five minute recap of racist poo poo since Trump was elected and lost a little of the effect.

BK treats the KKK the same way that BAD BOYS 2 did. I like the movie a lot, but I think Bootsy Collins' well thought out argument against it was perfectly valid. Its as much fiction as people claim GREEN BOOK is (Worth noting that whatever criticisms the family made about the relationship portrayed in the movie, Shirley's own words on the issue seems to disagree with them).

Making them buffoons worked for something like DJANGO UNCHAINED but it's isolated to one scene.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 26, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

asecondduck posted:

Congratulations, you've successfully summarized Spike Lee's career.

Although at the same time, the shagginess and digressive nature of his movies is kind of what's most endearing about them.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

DrVenkman posted:

Making them buffoons worked for something like DJANGO UNCHAINED but it's isolated to one scene.

Part of me can't help but think media needs to make more stories about how dangerous morons can be. Your villains can be stupid, but they still need to be a viable threat.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't stand how Spike Lee becomes Kanye West whenever he doesn't win an "award" no true artist gives a gently caress about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Slutitution posted:

I can't stand how Spike Lee becomes Kanye West whenever he doesn't win an "award" no true artist gives a gently caress about.

hint: he's protesting the reasons no true artist gives a gently caress about it