Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Basebf555 posted:

Was the scene with Lecter tracking down Chilton in South America or wherever a post-credits thing? I can't remember.

No, I thought that might be one, but the credits start to roll over it as it pulls back in that dolly shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

bbf2 posted:

Just watched A Star is Born for the first time (available on rental for 99 cents) and I legitimately do not get the ending

For some reason, the audience expects Lady Gaga to put on a show for them and sing within like 48 hours of her husband committing suicide? That would be national news and everyone would be very sympathetic towards her and would completely understand her cancelling a few tour dates in the immediate aftermath of HER HUSBAND COMMITTING SUICIDE. And instead its like "No, the show must go on!" and she performs a concert in the immediate aftermath of her loving spouse killing himself. What the everloving gently caress.

The proper ending to A Star Is Born is immediately watching Vox Lux with a huge loving alcoholic drink in your hand.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

bbf2 posted:

Just watched A Star is Born for the first time (available on rental for 99 cents) and I legitimately do not get the ending

For some reason, the audience expects Lady Gaga to put on a show for them and sing within like 48 hours of her husband committing suicide? That would be national news and everyone would be very sympathetic towards her and would completely understand her cancelling a few tour dates in the immediate aftermath of HER HUSBAND COMMITTING SUICIDE. And instead its like "No, the show must go on!" and she performs a concert in the immediate aftermath of her loving spouse killing himself. What the everloving gently caress.

i'm pretty sure it was a wake/memorial service and not a concert.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

...in which he basically looks at us and says "I did what I had to do in order to protect your freedom".
Look, Vice is a mess, but I actually think this part is clever because it's obviously bullshit. It's a narrative the film never once deals with. It lays out a case, let's Cheney give a trite retort, and the words are just empty. The idea that it was about protecting freedom isn't about a differing point of view. It just seems completely alien to the world of the film by that point and like baffling thing to say.

Vice is honestly too much of a mess to be a bad movie. It falters and falls apart, but at least it's making attempts. There are still at least ten movies I can name this year that deserve a Best Picture nom over it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

Look, Vice is a mess, but I actually think this part is clever because it's obviously bullshit. It's a narrative the film never once deals with. It lays out a case, let's Cheney give a trite retort, and the words are just empty. The idea that it was about protecting freedom isn't about a differing point of view. It just seems completely alien to the world of the film by that point and like baffling thing to say.

Vice is honestly too much of a mess to be a bad movie. It falters and falls apart, but at least it's making attempts. There are still at least ten movies I can name this year that deserve a Best Picture nom over it.

edit

It felt to me like a film that was created to appeal to as big a crowd as possible regardless of political bent or moral inclination, and yes I know that sounds naive. I simply reject the notion that a movie that is ostensibly about the unfolding of an occupation that killed and maimed hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of brown people should feel comfortable performing a sort of vacuous humor and moral equivocation. Like, in a perverted way I can see reactionary pragmatists coming away from that film feeling vindicated about their support for Cheney.

It's slimy, and I think we will look back on it and shake our heads.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 22, 2019

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The fake ending was the best part. I should have turned it off right then and there.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

The fake ending was the best part. I should have turned it off right then and there.

Pretty much. Last half of the film redacted.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

bbf2 posted:

Weird Al went on stage to do a concert a couple of hours after learning both of his parents died. It happens.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

A college basketball coach hit and killed a man with his car on Wednesday and is gonna coach the biggest game of the season tonight. Getting back to some sense of normalcy is understandable.

(He wasn’t at fault, it was late and he wasn’t drunk or speeding or anything, there was just a guy who was on the side of a road because of a previous accident that evening and walked into the road at the wrong time. I can’t stop thinking about it because I can’t imagine how that must feel, for everyone involved.)

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

bbf2 posted:

It’s not a concert.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Three hours or so until I close the contest in da OP.

I watched most of the shorts using Itunes last night:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/oscar-nominated-short-films-2019-select-animation-live/id1451613502

This is not every short film for some reason (cost/rights I assume). Bao and Late Afternoon as two examples are not on there, and none of the short documentaries are on there.

For some reason they are almost all about kids this year. The only outright dumb one is Skin in my opinion, which is an incredible :rolleyes: journey through ironic plot twists and is just a bone-simple morality tale.

Someone asked about Detainment and it's a good piece of filmwork, even if it doesn't really depict them as the young sociopaths they both apparently were in real life. It sets the table as one of the kids (Venables) being easily-manipulated by the other, a garden variety sociopath (Thompson), but to me subtly leaves open the idea that Venables just successfully pretends to be easily-manipulated while Thompson is so openly antisocial that the investigators are much harsher. In real life, Venables became a repeat offender and Thompson has essentially stayed out of the news, from what I can tell.

Animal Behaviour: Solidly OK comedy about relationship therapy where every character is an animal. I enjoyed it, but it was nothing profound or particularly clever.

One Small Step: Really beautiful, sentimental work.

Weekends: Very beautiful work here.

Fauve: Beautifully shot about two children playing in a mining area.

Marguerite: Very good; about fragility in old age and lost opportunities.

Mother: Mostly notable for being done in one continuous shot.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 24, 2019

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I saw the animation shorts in the theater, and there was definitely a lot of similar themes in them.

Bao is also about a child (and, similar to One Small Step, involves the Chinese immigrant experience), and while Late Afternoon is about an elderly person, it has her reliving childhood memories.

One of the 'highly commended' films was the Russian Tweet Tweet, which runs through a full life from childhood to the end, and felt like it could slot in with the others just as easily thematically. It just didn't have quite enough depth to its story or visual flair (though it was the only photorealistic 3D one in the group).

Late Afternoon doesn't quite match the visual artistry (or brilliant sound design) of Weekends, but it's emotionally stronger and the animation is quite good. I'd probably choose it to win, even though I personally hate the ending. It seems 90% of dementia stories end on the person having a moment when they recognize their family member, as if their dementia has a sense of dramatic timing.

Animal Behaviour stood out as the only comedy*, but I agree it didn't have a whole lot beyond the humor.

Bao is almost certain to win - not only is it Pixar, but it's honestly quite good. It's just that you get the nagging feeling of being emotionally manipulated that you get with most Pixar properties. Visually, it's fine. It's Pixar. It looks fine.

*The other 'highly commended' was the comedic Wishing Box, a charming if simple joke short.

e: Doc short subject A Night at the Garden (shortest nominee in some time, at 7 min) can be seen in full at its site:

https://anightatthegarden.com/

Black Sheep is on The Guardian's Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-Y5zvnDxsI

Kangra fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 25, 2019

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I watched Green Book last night. It's a fine film but it has no business winning Best Picture.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Glenn Close looks beautiful.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

NickRoweFillea posted:

Glenn Close looks beautiful.

Always

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Glenn Close went for subtlety and dressed up like an Oscar.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I was hoping there wouldn't be an opening monologue.

Haha, spoke too soon.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 25, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Emma Stone's dress is amazing.

Also a bunch of guys are wearing dope not-boring tuxes this year (Spike, Billy Porter, Jason Momoa, Brian Tyree Henry) and it makes me very happy

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Chris Evans is such a gentleman.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I really do not like how Adam Lambert sang those Queen songs. His voice just doesn’t sound right.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I mean if you're going to go full oscars with it just get Rami up there and have him sing it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Get the Canadian dude they mixed Rami's voice with to do it.

j/k Lambert owns

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

“God is always leaning in my direction.”

“God is good all the time.”

There are a few thousand kids in cages at the Mexico border who might disagree. :thunk:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

that momoa outfit is dope

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

that momoa outfit is dope

Agreed.

Josh Lyman posted:

“God is always leaning in my direction.”

“God is good all the time.”

There are a few thousand kids in cages at the Mexico border who might disagree. :thunk:

Well, He's good for the rich.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

RBG would’ve been nice symbolically but apparently Free Solo was an amazing production effort? I haven’t seen it yet but I want to.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Rough start to the Oscars. The Queen covers were bad, Weisz should've won supporting actress, and it's absolutely insane that Won't You Be My Neighbor? wasn't even loving nominated.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Aquaman really likes rock climbing.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

surf rock posted:

Rough start to the Oscars. The Queen covers were bad, Weisz should've won supporting actress, and it's absolutely insane that Won't You Be My Neighbor? wasn't even loving nominated.

My high expectations have been shattered.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That Free Solo acceptance speech was a dumpster fire. What are they doing just standing up there silently like they’re chilling at a cocktail party STOP WASTING MY TIME AND GET OFF MY LAWN

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

That Free Solo acceptance speech was a dumpster fire. What are they doing just standing up there silently like they’re chilling at a cocktail party STOP WASTING MY TIME AND GET OFF MY LAWN

First time I was glad to have someone played off.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
That Google commercial was pretty funny

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Tom Morello in a suit

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

Tom Morello in a suit

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lol Tom Morello’s intro for Vice was as long as the actual clip segment

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tom loving Morello shilling for a neolib fantasy is peak 2019

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
It's also insane that Eighth Grade wasn't nominated for original screenplay.

edit: hoo boy there are a ton of winners who were not at all prepared to win

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Escobarbarian posted:

Tom loving Morello shilling for a neolib fantasy is peak 2019

Tom Morello talking is always just really weird. The lack of Zack in Prophets of Rage puts him even more in the limelight and it's just weird.

This acceptance speech is the worst thing ever.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Did they write their own speech?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

boy the speeches are bad this year