Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Taintrunner posted:

I can't remember the last time I've seen a movie where you were loving screaming for the main character to succeed, and god loving drat, does Spiderverse run away with it.

Somehow animation is the only category I’m all that invested in this year, and this definitely deserves it. It’s frustrating that Disney/Pixar just kind of wins every year. I mean, yeah, they make good movies...but who’s actually doing something interesting or challenging or valuable with animation as a medium? I’m sure Incredibles 2 is good, but how is it different than the dozen or so highly-budgeted CG features they’ve made before?

Not to poo poo on Coco, which is a great and really touching movie. But Loving Vincent hand-painted every goddamn frame in the style of Van Gogh; it’s incredible. Zootopia (yes it’s not Pixar) was fun and well-made, but Kubo was a painstaking, beautiful movie with unbelievable stop-motion.

It’s odd to me that a body like the Academy, that’s so opposed to live-action commercial poo poo winning awards for artistry, so consistently defaults to the biggest, most commercial animated output from the largest and most profitable name in that space every year.

(Isle of Dogs has a pretty good chance, too, I guess...I’d be fine with that. But for real, Spiderverse kicks rear end.)

Xealot fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU