Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
use opera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

how’s the family, forums poster pissflaps?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Last Chance posted:

apps shouldn't be able to dig through the keychain for other apps' sensitive passwords/keys imho.

what if i type my keychain password to authorize it? doesn't matter though, neither of the apps even use the keychain :mad:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

lol just lol if you dont use elinks

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:allears:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

DELETE CASCADE posted:

what if i type my keychain password to authorize it? doesn't matter though, neither of the apps even use the keychain :mad:

safari definitely uses the keychain. chrome does its own thing.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i did for 10 years then it died

use vivaldi

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Weatherman posted:

has anyone said "why aren't you using pi-hole yet" yet

that's a really hurtful way to describe sex with your dad

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Last Chance posted:

safari definitely uses the keychain.

oh ya ur rite dunno how i missed that

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Michaellaneous posted:

lol just lol if you dont use elinks

Yes but with a mouse, in a terminal.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

SO DEMANDING posted:

vivaldi rules firefox drools :flipoff: :c00l:

the ui sucks and is dog-slow it's not nice to use

Last Chance posted:

safari definitely uses the keychain. chrome does its own thing.

chrome definitely asks for permission to use it but then does gently caress all with it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

opera fired all their devs years ago and now it's just a chrome fork

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Xaris posted:

i get why google is doing it, but uh, what does mozilla get out of it

mozilla has become obsessed with performance

this is also why they gutted the extension ecosystem and followed the chrome webapi direction

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i went back to chome recently because my company uses gmail and boy howdy is it terrible in firefox

it was fine before the ux redesign but afterwards, yikes

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i use thunderbird

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
disable JS on all news sites, problem solved.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Jimmy Carter posted:

no poo poo, this works a lot more often than i thought it would (i.e., the page is still readable)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Achmed Jones posted:

i went back to chome recently because my company uses gmail and boy howdy is it terrible in firefox

it was fine before the ux redesign but afterwards, yikes

lol gmail is horrible in every browser because it's poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
outlook.com is literally 100x better than gmail

edit: and it works equally well in every desktop browser

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

outlook.com user spotted

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

outlook.com user spotted

yeah, no poo poo

it's hella good

why would i tell you it is good and then, uh, not use it?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

outlook.com is literally 100x better than gmail

edit: and it works equally well in every desktop browser

i presume outlook.com uses the same backend/ui as the office365 exchange-online owa web version? if so, we have that for our company and yeah it's good and so much better than gmail, especially after the last gmail ui update (loving ugh). i think my issues with is that search is funky and unreliable sometimes pulling up results that have seemingly nothing to do with what i searched for, and that it does stupid nested "conversations" by default instead of leaving everything individualized.

still mostly use desktop outlook but the web access is pretty nice on laptops or whatever and seems to have decent performance.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Outlook itself is the single shittiest computer program I use, which is saying a lot, so I'm not touching anything with the brand on it unless I'm literally being paid to do it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Salt Fish posted:

Outlook itself is the single shittiest computer program I use, which is saying a lot, so I'm not touching anything with the brand on it unless I'm literally being paid to do it.
i actually like outlook, when configured to be in compact mode and some ui bloat off, it's super quick to open/close, does searches super quick and reliably, and just feels snappy and responsive without bloat that typically infests poo poo like that.

the shittiest computer program i use are weird little niche civil engineering programs from like the 90s or early 2000s.

also microsoft project, holy god that is probably the worst program i use that is still somehow updated but basically lovely as it was 20 years ago and super buggy, will randomly change results and come up with entirely different results by just re-entering the exact same number for earned value analysis or whatever.

it's loving embarrassing that this garbage is somehow industry standard with absolute no competition at all, when it should be a piss easy type of program to make. and yet so loving garbage that it can't even reliably give you numbers to trust and will go off the handle with processes behaving entirely differently by just re-entering something. and with so limited options to do basic things like custom work gaps/breaks in schedule, options to consider work and actual work differently, resource loading, locking in tuneable baseline to scheduling, whatever.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 28, 2019

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

found someone who's never used an electron app

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jimmy Carter posted:

can’t wait for a major browser to introduce a “click-to-run-scripts” mode and turn it on by default

or maybe even just put up a panel that says a web page is using a deprecated scripting system and telling you to ask the developer for an app

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol gmail is horrible in every browser because it's poo poo

it’s a web page pretending to be an application, of course it’s poo poo

webmail is a last resort for situations with limited connectivity, not the way anyone sensible uses email regularly

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

eschaton posted:

webmail is a last resort for situations with limited connectivity, not the way anyone sensible uses email regularly
sorry but google is def gunna kill off IMAP/POP3 access at some point requiring use of GMAIL Suite android/ios apps, or desktop app which is just chrome bookmarked to gmail.com. hell they've already making it not easy so it's not a far step to see it completely gone. they definitely don't want you using anything but the webmail.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

eschaton posted:

just put up a panel that says a web page is using a deprecated scripting system and telling you to ask the developer for an app

eschaton posted:

you would rather have an application pretending to be a webpage pretending to be an application?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Xaris posted:

does searches super quick

tell me your secrets

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows 10 mail is the best mail app by miles

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i use Evolution for email

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lmao if you don't use mutt.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I used alpine to read the daily log emailed from something on a system that didn't have email set up and it was needs suiting.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Last Chance posted:

i use Evolution for email

evolution hasn't been actively maintained in about ten years so good luck with those security holes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

outlook.com / office 365 webmail is better than outlook the fat client

i am not kidding at all

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Xaris posted:

i presume outlook.com uses the same backend/ui as the office365 exchange-online owa web version? if so, we have that for our company and yeah it's good and so much better than gmail, especially after the last gmail ui update (loving ugh). i think my issues with is that search is funky and unreliable sometimes pulling up results that have seemingly nothing to do with what i searched for, and that it does stupid nested "conversations" by default instead of leaving everything individualized.

still mostly use desktop outlook but the web access is pretty nice on laptops or whatever and seems to have decent performance.

yes outlook.com is just office 365 without paying for the rest of office

i.e. email only

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Xaris posted:

i actually like outlook, when configured to be in compact mode and some ui bloat off, it's super quick to open/close, does searches super quick and reliably, and just feels snappy and responsive without bloat that typically infests poo poo like that.

which version of outlook? b/c i remember outlook 2010 being basically the best outlook, and has been getting buggier ever since

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also depends on how you're using outlook

in an exchange environment? great, awesome

using IMAP to talk to gmail? :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

which version of outlook? b/c i remember outlook 2010 being basically the best outlook, and has been getting buggier ever since
running 2016. 2010 was maybe slightly better because I don't think anything new UI or feature-wise wise is useful, but they felt about exactly the same and I don't run into any issues or performance when i upgraded. But 2016 has much much better integration with office365 exchange online services. but yeah we're using it as an exchange environment.