Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

does Firefox support pinch zoom yet

https://github.com/haxiomic/firefox-multi-touch-zoom

it's missing a lot of stuff, like double tap zoom in and zoom out, and disabling small side-to-side motions when scrolling while zoomed in, but it feels p close to native pinch zoom on my macbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
also go to about:config and set extensions.pocket.enabled to false to disable the dumb pocket stuff
also set security.enterprise_roots.enabled to true if you, say, have a fuckfest of internal certs preloaded on your work computer by default and quickly realize they are only loaded to the system and chrome and not firefox.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ryde posted:

Whats the goon recommendation for replacing gmail and google calendar

outlook.com

i'm not even slightly joking

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the microsoft web interface is 100x better than gmail ever was

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
alao important: microsoft isn't reading all your emails to build an advertising profile

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Latest Edge w/ win 1903 adds per site video auto play controls

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

outlook.com

i'm not even slightly joking

Can you use Gmail accounts with that or does it have to be an @outlook.com email account?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Fiedler posted:

alao important: microsoft isn't reading all your emails to build an advertising profile

depends on which of their services you use and how you use it

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

does 'their services' refer to microsoft or google?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Microsoft

if you use Outlook.com to read a non-MS mail account, its necessarily getting your mail on your behalf, and can basically do anything it wants with it in addition to showing it to you in your web browser

even some of the non-web applications work that way, and talk to Microsofts intermediary server rather than connecting directly to yours

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

sure, microsoft servers store lots of user data. my observation is that there is and has been clear policy at microsoft regarding reading the content of email (and similar user data) to personalize advertising. microsoft doesn't do that.

to be honest even google alleges they don't do that anymore -- although that seems mighty doubtful

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I trust Microsoft about as much as Google in this

I do generally trust that Microsoft has put in place measures to ensure user data is not accessible to employees, and I think I mostly trust Google to not allow employees to access user data (though I dont know if I would implicitly assume that theyve put technical measures in place to prevent it like I would with Microsoft, I feel like MS is way more CYA than Google after the antitrust investigation)

but unless they actually come out and say theyre not scanning mail for advertising purposes, I wouldnt trust that they arent

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-US/ posted:

No content-based targeting: We will not use your email, chat, files or other personal content to target ads to you.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

nice, thanks

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

eschaton posted:

I trust Microsoft about as much as Google in this

I do generally trust that Microsoft has put in place measures to ensure user data is not accessible to employees, and I think I mostly trust Google to not allow employees to access user data (though I dont know if I would implicitly assume that theyve put technical measures in place to prevent it like I would with Microsoft, I feel like MS is way more CYA than Google after the antitrust investigation)

but unless they actually come out and say theyre not scanning mail for advertising purposes, I wouldnt trust that they arent

in my experience, the technical measures in place are fully sick. https://services.google.com/fh/files/misc/security_whitepapers_march2018.pdf is a deece description focused on GCP customers. for cya-ness, the google buzz fuckup triggered the creation of a pretty comprehensive privacy program. today, you can't launch a new product or feature without signoff from the privacy team.

on chome, if ublock stops working and I have to see ads covering 2/3 of a page even once, i'm gonna be loving pissed and i solemnly swear to post something stupid to company wide mailing lists about it.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

it's honestly naive of the reality of cloud security considerations to suppose that any major cloud provider could possibly have no technical measures in place to limit employee access to user data.

separately, google, like facebook, has a business model that's fundamentally incompatible with proper user privacy protections. at such companies the privacy team's job is to figure out how to violate user privacy while remaining in compliance with applicable regulations, and, when that's not possible, to ensure the right politicians are paid to fix the regulations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I have more confidence that the nsa respects my privacy than that google does

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cold on a Cob posted:

everything is poo poo :toot:

everything is getting worse honk honk

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mostly google is otherwise unavoidable. if microsoft were as suspect when it comes to handling the information they get, they are in this regard a tiny silo, where google has tentacles in literally every website. so using gmail adds some really fine details to an already huge and refined picture.

still, if concerned one should of course use neither.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
conducting all my correspondence through carrier pigeon

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
his name is "big charles"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

microsoft will guarantee this in writing for paid accounts

(free accounts have advertising, so i assume they at least scan what you're looking at to generate contextual ads.)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

is there any reason not to use icloud for email (via mail.app)?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

microsoft will guarantee this in writing for paid accounts

(free accounts have advertising, so i assume they at least scan what you're looking at to generate contextual ads.)

i've already linked to microsoft's written declaration that they do not look at email content to target ads, period.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

you can always find a reason not to do something. icloud mail is great

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

its fine and works with win10 mail app as well so theres no platform nonsense

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

okay cool. gently caress google

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

can you use it with your own domain or are you beholden to a company whose online service strategy changes every five years

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

can you use it with your own domain or are you beholden to a company whose online service strategy changes every five years

Ive had the same email address via iTools .Mac MobileMe iCloud since the first hour Apple offered the service in 1999, literally 20 years ago

just because the name has changed and some ancillary services (iCard, HomePage) were sunset doesnt mean the core functionality is really that risky

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah i've had my @me.com in use since the old mobile me days, no interruption of service when it moved over

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ublock rockin' beats

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

ublock rockin' beats

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

bad news for you nerds, catalina also makes ublock "no longer exist"

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
no one used desktop safari in the first place

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

President Beep posted:

i like how chrome has sa needful though.

sa needful is bugged out and breaks timgs now, on My Rig. can sum YOSPOS Code Master fix it? thank you

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
firefox is introducing a system to allow the browser devs to silently deploy site-specific "overrides" to users, which work by having the browser silently inject arbitrary CSS or JS into specific websites

they're calling this system GoFaster

sounds like a disaster waiting to happen

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

websites are trash and should be treated as such

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
plain text websites with minimal images were good enough :corsair:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Cold on a Cob posted:

Bring back gopher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Cold on a Cob posted:

I prefer when the entire website is loaded as a massive javascript object and the sites Frontend Code Stack renders it for you in exciting ways.