Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

IMJack posted:

Would it look better if the animation weren't so smooth? If they limited character movement to like 24 FPS, showing keyframes only, using one lazy animation shortcut to cover for another one?

Nah, it's not smoothness, but the way that animations are made by simply rotating sprites instead of having sequences of individual frames where the sprite can deform to give the appearance of moving in the depth plane. Using the "paper doll" system as 20xx does, only perfectly circular motions in the plane perpendicular to the screen are possible, and nobody's body moves like that. It makes for an okay running animation, but Nina/Ace can't swing their hips or shoulders and this really throws it into the uncanny valley when during, say, the stopping animations.

Here's some of Zero's attack animations to contrast: because each frame is drawn individually, you can see that the movement is much more natural. Note the way the legs and feet change size and appearance as they rotate and move "towards" or "away" from the camera, the way the sword appears to arc in three rather than two dimensions, and how his torso and shoulders twist.

Don't get me wrong, 20xx has nice art and looks like a blast to play, and this "paper doll" way of animating characters gets a very fluid and halfway decent result with far, far less work/time/cost than the traditional method. But it's just not quite as good :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The "one little fun" comment just slayed me. Of all the great dialogue between the doctors so far, that's been the best.

Malicus
Oct 31, 2013
I tend to use Splinterfrost as my primary damage power (and it's also good for freezing flame shooters, of course). If you can manage to hit a boss with it at an angle such that the main projectile and a shard hits it, it does more damage than an uncharged Quint Laser, and it's definitely more energy efficient than a charged Quint Laser (skipping the numbers for now). It's also a lot more useful than Quint Laser for attacking during a level considering that you can fire it at an angle and it's not so incredibly slow and also the shards. And now things from watching the video:

When using Splinterfrost on the Astrals, I do my best to make sure the main projectile hits one of them and the shards from it hit the other. The shards only do half the damage of the main projectile, and it tends to be more reliable if you're actually aiming at one.

I've been taught that I should avoid doing L8 Rollster like you did in the video, because that's when it starts splitting more. It often adds up to a fair amount of unnecessary damage.

The better way to use Splinterfrost for those flame shooters at 29:40 is to just jump up and fire it horizontally through them, since there are a bunch in a row. The projectile will pass right through them and freeze them all until the projectile's lifetime ends and you need to fire another to continue the line.

And yeah, attempting to not save Al and break that wall yourself is when the explosions can decide to actually move and hitstun you until you die. As suggested in the video, the ending cutscene does very slightly change if you don't rescue him.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
There's plenty of things more busted than Quint Laser; part of the game's charm is making full use of any of the tools you're given, and sometimes that can result in hilarious amounts of power. Over the course of that 4th video you ended up finding quite a nice number of medium power damage augments, so naturally that weapon would get extremely powerful as a result. You're not always going to have that option available; it is entirely possible to go through the game and not see Kur until one of the last three bosses, or you find few power damage augments, or even max energy, but the truly busted combinations of augments and/or core pieces can and do happen sometimes.

These things are there intentionally, and it's balanced in that they are not always available to you, or they become available when they're no longer as useful as they could be, or simply aren't viable in a particular run. Optimizing the Quint Laser is the only the very tip of the truly broken things you can make happen in the game.

For more fun than Dr. Flat allows, find the Patchwork Connector augment, get three pieces of Dracopent's set and combine them with Armatort's Pound. Paint the screen in bullet-eating bullets.

Malicus
Oct 31, 2013

A Pleasant Hug posted:

For more fun than Dr. Flat allows, find the Patchwork Connector augment, get three pieces of Dracopent's set and combine them with Armatort's Pound. Paint the screen in bullet-eating bullets.

Or just have Armatort's Pound with the Force Resonator. Maybe less fun, but it's also easier to accomplish.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Crazy Achmed posted:

Don't get me wrong, 20xx has nice art and looks like a blast to play, and this "paper doll" way of animating characters gets a very fluid and halfway decent result with far, far less work/time/cost than the traditional method. But it's just not quite as good :bahgawd:

I hear you. But one of the things the paper doll method makes easy is the way the characters' parts change when they have core modules equipped. If you went to conventional animation you either have to give up the transformation or accept a dramatically increased art workload. Do like the early MMX games and separate parts of the body into sprites layered on top of each other, which change when you equip the core modules. But MMX had only one alternate set of equipment for one character. Here we have four alternate sets for each of 2 4, 6, maybe 8 eventually characters.

Or do like Diablo 2 and use pre-rendered models that wear every possible set of equipment, using them to make sprites. And that would look bad in a different way.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm wonder if you ever find a fully matched armor set.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

1073741824 is 230 so yeah, that sounds about right for obliterating everything in his path

Polsy fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 17, 2019

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
As not fun as Death Lotus is to fight, he's considerably more fun to fight than his original incarnation, which was at the top of a long vertical shaft you had to climb every time you wanted to hit him. Boy did they ever change that encounter for the better.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I just want to say that Jacob's reactions to things (especially pits and Thorn being at low health) are priceless. :allears: A+ contribution to the LP.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

A rush in more ways than one. Lets, uh, just stick to one.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
Man seeing you hate on the plasma blender makes me wince every time

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Godna posted:

I can't speak for Ace's Plasma Blender, but Nina can get a similar weapon. It is way more powerful than I would've given it credit for, to the point I'll almost always pick it up if I happen across it.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Seeing you snowball pretty hard with upgrades surprised me with how much harder you could have snowballed if you had enough nuts.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SugarAddict posted:

Seeing you snowball pretty hard with upgrades surprised me with how much harder you could have snowballed if you had enough nuts.

Phrasing!

Though yeah, it's disgustingly hilarious how much the game gives you sometimes.

Even then I've never managed to beat level 9. :argh:

Malicus
Oct 31, 2013

Godna posted:

At... at least he likes the axe? (The axe is my favorite weapon for Ace that I mentioned earlier.) By the way, for anyone not in the know, the axe's jump attack automatically counts as a charge attack for damage and the other things that affect charge attacks, and people with experience with the axe use the jump attack like 95% of the time, usually by spam short hopping. ...on that note, seeing him pass up Armatort's Pound at 6:30 made me wince a bit.

...his reason for not picking up the thing that gives loads more energy at the cost of some power strength: "I don't have much energy to begin with."

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Let's try out the DLC characters, Draco and Hawk. Specifically, let's suck at Draco and stick to Hawk.

Malicus
Oct 31, 2013
The thing you unlock with three skulls is the same on both Steam and not. I think you got that confused with the fact that Draco and Hawk are DLC on Steam but are bundled in elsewhere (though with a price increase). Where they're bundled in, they're unlocked by just beating the game normally, with the exception of a Rush Job.

...you know who Uncharging Force is ONLY a positive to? Ace using the blender or axe.

"Also I have a double jump so I don't really need the blast jump." But... but you could have a triple jump!

...not taking Focusing Sagelens with Hawk? This is vile blasphemy, sir.

I haven't played him, but I believe that Draco can use the right trigger too! It's another way to use his Dracocharge things if you're rather not use up and shoot.

Malicus fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 27, 2019

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Focusing Sagelens can be real good, especially on Hawk.
It gives you a 2.0x Power Damage multiplier, and sets your Weapon Damage to -18(So you always do 1 damage).

I tend to take the risks with the Prototypes anyway, unless it's a REALLY bad idea.

Cyflan fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 27, 2019

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Have you tried knocking over the vending machines with charged Quint Laser yet? I'm surprised to see you still paying for the stuff.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

NGDBSS posted:

Have you tried knocking over the vending machines with charged Quint Laser yet? I'm surprised to see you still paying for the stuff.
Thornbrain often records gameplay footage way in advance, to the point of having entire LPs in the can before even starting commentary. (Which of course bites them in the arse every time a poster has actual good advice which we then never see put into action.)

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Thornbrain often records gameplay footage way in advance, to the point of having entire LPs in the can before even starting commentary. (Which of course bites them in the arse every time a poster has actual good advice which we then never see put into action.)

This time isn't exactly the case, but yeah, next week's part is the first we recorded since the thread started.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

I've tried to do that but to no effect. Is it only a certain type of machine, or do you need to be positioned somewhere special?

Malicus
Oct 31, 2013

rchandra posted:

I've tried to do that but to no effect. Is it only a certain type of machine, or do you need to be positioned somewhere special?

It can be any green/blue/red vending machine. The thing you're likely missing is that you need to FULLY charge Quint Laser to do it. It has two levels of charge.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
random levels seems kind of against the entire mega man paradigm.

An enormous amount of the charm is the expertly crafted levels that ramp up at a smooth rate to the frustrating final pieces of the level.

Still, from the bits and pieces of your lets play it seems pretty good.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Malicus posted:

It can be any green/blue/red vending machine. The thing you're likely missing is that you need to FULLY charge Quint Laser to do it. It has two levels of charge.

Thanks. I probably hit a normal vending machine with the single charge, and the slot machine with the double.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Why oh why is there so much bullet hell in this game? Bullet hell works in shoot-em ups because you (theoretically) have full control of the entire play area. Bullet hell plus precision platformer plus damage knockback equals potentially ending up dead in a Rube Goldberg style escalating disaster.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

dotchan posted:

Bullet hell plus precision platformer plus damage knockback equals potentially ending up dead in a Rube Goldberg style escalating disaster.
That's the beauty of roguelites, though.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Are there any attacks in this game that do more than one damage? In Megaman games you're hard-pressed to even find attacks that do one damage, with several that take out large chunks of your health and making it so it's important you can dodge most obstacles if you wanna make it through. This game seems to go for more of a "death of a thousand cuts" approach, so it's also more reasonable to up the enemy and obstacle density. The game seems generous enough with health pick-ups that you need to make several mistakes in rapid succession and have terrible luck with health to lose, whereas a regular Megaman game can kill me in one hit because I got knocked off a platform.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

a cartoon duck posted:

Are there any attacks in this game that do more than one damage?

The base damage for everything is one point. I believe the glowing enemies with Soul Chips do double damage, and the Violence Enhancer prototype module makes you take double damage from all sources.

If you're playing in Endless mode, when you start your second lap through the 8 levels, the base damage becomes 2. In the 3rd lap it's 3, in the 4th it's 5, then 8, 13, 21, 34...

Malicus
Oct 31, 2013

IMJack posted:

the Violence Enhancer prototype module makes you take double damage from all sources.

And there is another prototype that makes you take TRIPLE damage. Yes they stack.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
All the talk about NRG made me think of this for some reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVWfqOSdzs4

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Let's try and complete a Defiant run this time.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't think I'll ever laugh at this LP quite as hard again as I did when you suddenly lost all your HP. That was hilarious.

Malicus
Oct 31, 2013
I don't have personal experience, but I'm told that using Nina or Ace's weapons with Draco is often kind of a waste since they don't do anything special with Draco's charge mechanic. Also I hear that at least the axe has a wonky hitbox with Draco.

...the red vending machines are pretty much the only ones I use unless I'm really desperate. Willingness to use them will vary between people and their amount of experience, but those few extra nuts occasionally make the difference for being able to buy a thing you want. Also it occasionally spits out a golden nut (a fiver). The nuts saved from not topping off at the other vending machines also help.

I've been told repeatedly that the only level generation difference between Normal and Defiant is that slightly fewer boxes (they're technically called chests, but) spawn in the "fortress" stages.

Oh no Interesting Times. It is a way for the RNG to screw you over and I avoid taking it whenever possible after I learned my lesson the hard way. Speaking of, I think that -17 HP was you losing the bonus it gave you to HP the previous level and ALSO getting a penalty to HP for this level. The magnitude of the change it makes is the number of the level you just entered.

The Nut Replicator is not as runaway exciting as might be hoped. It is still GOOD, mind, but it caps at 100 nuts per level, no matter how many nuts you have or how many replicators you have.

Yeah, the little bat things are Flapps. ...but is it really that wasteful if you're Hawk?

You may or may not be aware of it, but this game DOES have rightsticklook (at least in single-player) to help you see things out of your view a little better without needing to go TO them. ...I personally didn't realize it until I noticed it in the control options.

...what IS hitting you? I'd think that it was the effect of a certain skull (oh you mentioned it when I unpaused), except it's visibly obvious that you don't have that on and it shouldn't hurt you in the boss gate or after. I don't think there are any augs that do quite that sort of thing. ...has anyone mentioned that this is actually a rather buggy game and weird stuff has a way of happening? Especially in coop or endless (and there's a reliable crash bug in coop endless).

Malicus fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 4, 2019

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

It's painful to see you have Owlhawk's chest piece (gain health from power kills), using Hawk, and have full energy and half health while using the whip on everything.

I really like the Very Safe Laboratory items, but it's unfortunate that I need to stop and look them up first - it's just an autodeath if you take some at the wrong time. Interesting Times is probably pretty bad but I can't pass it up either.

The red vending machines are pretty useful whenever you have a good source of extra health, or when you have the weakness for the current boss and don't expect to take much there as you have 2+ chests with extra health coming. I've often gotten multiple nuts per health (it drops one nut item which might be a +5 etc.) but not sure if that needed any extra items.

I don't really like buying Core items unless they're a perfect fit (ability, mixmatch, or working on a set), even more so if I already have another one in that slot as they are all handy, so I'd rather get any other augments. My first win was with a set, so now I'm always trying to replicate it with the other sets, haven't assembled any since.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Jacob: I'm gonna make a really tasteless joke.
Thorn: I'm gonna take your joke and make it exponentially worse.
Jacob: :stonkhat:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Will we ever see an armor set in this LP?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
You have to be really lucky to assemble a complete set in a normal run. There's a power-up that unlocks later that will grant a set's bonus with only 3 of the 4 pieces, and a prototype that does it with only 2 pieces with a really big caveat.

Once you've unlocked everything, you gain access to a neat feature that can make getting a set much more realistic. Not guaranteed; sometimes the RNG really wants you to have several copies of a head module and no body module. But more realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

It's a lot easier on Normal, when you can start with one (and maybe get one from Dally? I forget what her deliveries are). There's also an augment to guarantee Glory Zones; between that and making sure to keep some cash handy in case your appears in a shop it's at least plausible but still not guaranteed to work out. Especially since even though 4 from some set will probably appear, you won't know that until having passed up 3 of them while working on a different one.