Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Can I be a butt and request (obviously whenever you can get to it) to update my goon listing with the artist name Robot Cousin? That's pretty much the name I go by whenever I do stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

baby puzzle posted:

why does fl studio cut out a tiny bit at the start of the track? Or maybe soundcloud is doing that.

It's likely Soundcloud, but to make sure, what does it sound like after it's exported and before it's uploaded?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hey I'm not planning on making a thread for just an announcement but I figured this thread, of all places, would be the best place to post...

Starting on Nov 1st 2020, there'll be the annual Awful Xmas thread in GBS, run by myself and my wife, Awful Music Alumnus jennyinstereo.

2020 sucked. We need this now more than ever. As I mentioned to someone else, you know how in Ghostbusters 2, they (the guys) used good vibes to mobilize the statue of liberty to break through the slime mould covering the museum?

This year, we're like the Ghostbusters (dibs on Winston!), the museum, slime mould, and Vigo are all 2020, and the statue of liberty is the super wonderful and awesome Awful Xmas submissions.

So get ready to kick 2020 in the jingle bells. I truly don't give a poo poo if you start working on stuff now, in fact I'd prefer it, just so we'd have SO MUCH MUSIC! Just wait until the thread goes up to submit it.

I might even post it a bit earlier, due to the fact that I'm selling a house and the closing date is Nov 2nd, so i'mma be quite busy around that time.

Anyway, thank you all for your time, and I look forward to hearing the wonderful and terrible things you will all come up with.

Goonspeed. :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

When I went back to the iPad recording from four years ago, though, I found that I really liked it despite how noisy and rough it was - there was something about getting it down when all of those feelings were fresh that I really liked. So in the end I just added a bit of piano and a bit of organ to reinforce what was already there; other than that it's what I recorded on the day I wrote it.

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/how-long-can-you-keep-this-going

It's gotten a pretty decent response given how rough it is. I should probably post off-the-cuff lo-fi stuff more often.

This happens to me all the time (for my own stuff, not for contracted work); I'll put something down because of a feeling or a bunch of feelings, and it'll be rough and messy, but it'll be honest. And I truly want to fix it up, but then when I start to, it usually takes that feeling out of it, either a bit or by a lot, so I leave it.

So I end up with tracks upon tracks that sound true and honest to me, but overall sound like I haven't graduated with honours from a recording arts program.

Edit: also, I really like this track. :unsmith:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 14, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

I like your Iron and Wine sound. I listened to the whole thing. Its good to put yourself out there like that. Singing is fun, and more people should let loose and just do it.

I completely agree

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Last year, I did a vaporwave-inspired score for a goon game/kinetic novel adaptation of Chekhov's "The Cherry Orchard", and today, I finally released the OST on Bandcamp! :toot: Super happy with it, even if maybe it doesn't lend itself too well to a musical album format. Whatever, it was my first time doing anything in that style, and the dev, fellow goon Xibanya, loved it, so I'm happy!

Even if you don't buy the album, which is totally cool, I strongly recommend checking out the actual title here on Steam or here on Itch.io

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well, I finally did it; I took a bunch of demos and unreleased tracks over the past 12-13 years and put them all together.

Out now, and for free (well, technically Name Your Price, but 0$ is totally cool and fine with me they're demos, scraps, sketches...) is...

Ironic Jargon by Robot Cousin

It includes tracks from when I wanted to make Pumpkins music, tracks that were meant to be a follow up to my 8bit inspired album 'Nothing Fancy' (also on Bandcamp), a few RPM Challenge tracks, a Zelda 2 cover jam, and my first ever SA Game Dev Challenge track, from way back in 2009.

Releasing this is kind of cathartic, since they've been in the back of my mind for over a decade. I constantly think "I'll finish them someday". Well, gently caress that! They're out now, just as unfinished as they were. This is kind of a way of me 'letting them go'.

So there you go.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 30, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

OutOfPrint posted:

I just released a new synthpop/punk/new wave EP about the ongoing global pandemic everyone forgot: https://faustbot.bandcamp.com/album/the-covid-ep

Unlike previous releases, I completely eschewed guitars and focused entirely on programmed instruments. Covid knocked me out completely for two weeks to the point I couldn't play a live instrument, so I used that as a restriction.

Song topics all loop back to covid, but range from personal experience, informative, and fictional narratives, with my wife calling Sneak a Peek in particular, "loving gross."

It's available now at the Bandcamp link above, and will be streaming as soon as those services decide to take it live.

Christ, as someone who recently got covid after trying my hardest to avoid it these past few years, that first track hit me hard. That's exactly my situation. Exactly. Everything.

I appreciate that I'm not alone in the realization that it's not over just because everyone's over it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, I don't know how many of you all have ever used a service like Distrokid, but I pulled the trigger on it last month and while I'm not making money or anything, I kind of find it surreal that my stuff is on Spotify and about a billion other networks and apps I've never even heard of.

I put up two game soundtracks (I have the rights to publish them on my own), an album of odds, ends, and demos, and my little 8-bit-inspired album, Nothing Fancy
I say 'inspired' because a) it doesn't conform to the technical limitations of any old console, possibly making tracker purists mad, and b) I didn't make like 30 minutes of remixed Megaman tunes or anything like that, I tried to write and structure them as if they had lyrics, even though they don't.

Anyway, this isn't an ad for the service or anything, I just found it neat. I'm planning on releasing a poo poo load more music music this year, so paying like $25 for all of it to be uploaded everywhere wasn't a bad deal.

Robot Cousin - Nothing Fancy
https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/robotcousin/nothing-fancy/

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

bagina posted:

I have absolutely no idea how to promote my music. As a solo artist who played every instrument in the studio, I won’t be playing anything live possibly ever, but I still very much want to get it out there.

When you put it through Distrokid (or other services, probably), they upload it to social media sites, so you can go and make one of those FB, Instagram, Tiktok videos and type in 'Robot Cousin' and my stuff comes up to be used for background audio. I think even one of my albums made it to Snapchat. I say 'one' because Snapchat you have to specifically click on that option to include it there which causes an extra validation of "Are you SURE you own the rights to what you're uploading?!", which you just click through, if you do. I think I only remembered to do that for one album. I'm not broken up about it.

Oh, also, I even have a cover song on there from Zelda 2 (final track of Ironic Jargon), and I had to put down the original artist so that Distrokid could properly send out the right royalties to them.

Oddly enough, Koji Kondo did NOT write the Zelda 2 music.