Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

Is this another way of saying that if everyone had money, everyone else would jack prices up on everything and the money would go down in value, rendering it moot? If so, how is that really so different than keeping tabs on dollars in vs dollars out, like an individual?

It's so abstract but I can see how it's essential to understand. Help me out goons.

The dollars going into and out of the government are only one factor influencing inflation. There's no reason to think that a balanced budget is necessarily optimal, it's just an arbitrary benchmark. It's like demanding that Blizzard "pay for" quest rewards by precisely modulating shop fees to match, coin-for-coin.

Having said that, I don't really see the difference between MMT and Keynes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Gnumonic posted:

This is what worries me about leaning too hard into a "print more money" approach. I have no idea whether MMT is legitimate on the merits, but it seems eminently possible that a country could end up in a scenario where the inflationary effects of printing money were under-accounted for and the only way out is a politically unpalatable tax increase. (Such a situation would almost certainly lead to printing more money, on the assumption that that's more palatable politically, and risks hyperinflation.)

I haven't had time to dig through all the links, but is there currently an empirically established method for predicting which sorts of spending would not increase inflation? It seems like without such a method a much less risky approach would be to just tax the gently caress out of the rich.

It's worth remembering that you can also fight inflation with monetary policy, i.e. the Fed.

My understand is that ultimately, the economy is a question of distributing scarce goods and services. If the government is buying everything up, then the private sector prices will increase due to scarcity. But if the government spending is activating underutilized resources, then supply as well as demand is increasing, so inflation would not be expected. Thus it's helpful to think of the government as influencing aggregate supply and demand, rather than in terms of cash flow.

theblackw0lf posted:

It should be said we’re taking about Kenysian economics as practiced today, not Keynes himself. In fact some have said MMT is just a way of getting back to what Keynes originally meant.

As an economics minor from a prestigious Midwestern state university, I never did read past Keynes, so maybe that's why I was confused.