Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

MixMastaTJ posted:

Healthcare isn't a "supply/demand" issue like Fig Newtons. If I want a Fig Newtons and the store is out I buy off brand cookies. If I have a gunshot wound and can't get a doctor, I die.

The problem at present isn't lack of hospitals and doctors- it's the average citizen being priced out of needed procedures. It sounds like the implication you're making is "well, if the free market says they should die, they should die."

Furthermore, Medicare doesn't work like that? We don't just give money to hospitals and cross our fingers. If the hospitals aren't able to fullfil a medical service they don't get the money for it. That money for a procedure that can't be met never enters the economy.

But Healthcare is a supply and demand issue in any system because the ability to meet demand is constrained by, among other things, geography and time. If an ED-209 goes on a rampage in my city the otherwise normal supply of gunshot doctors will get overwhelmed and some people simply won't get treatment, regardless of financial status. Similarly, getting bit by a coral snake in Florida is a likely death sentence because the cost of the antivenom, combined with the rarity of the bites, has resulted in the antivenom no longer being produced and available in Florida. And I don't see how changing the mechanism of government spending would change that calculus - sure, the government could fund sufficient antivenom production, but using your "build fewer tanks instead" option, why would they? If MMT has abstracted spending enough why wouldn't every project simply wind up funded to the max?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

twodot posted:

It may be the case that you personally can't understand the inflationary effect of building tanks that provide no actual economic utility, but please stop pretending that other people couldn't understand that. (Hint: it is extracting resources out of the economy while also increasing the money supply)

The sight of tanks sparks joy, so they do not get thrown out.