Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Squalid posted:

yeah this is how I try to make sense of macro econ stuff. It makes mentally visualizing what's going on a lot simpler.

What if it is not near zero? Basically, I'm trying to understand how MMT handles bond payments.

So the principle of the government creating and destroying money in MMT makes a lot of sense to me. Where I start to get confused is when its proponents start saying deficits don't matter in today's economy. This is because when the US deficit spends, it also issues interest carrying bonds. These bonds take cash out of the economy, but with the promise of giving more cash in the future to the bond holder. As with all assets, the vast majority of these bonds are owned either directly or indirectly by the one percent.

Therefore as the national debt increases, the government will have increasing obligations to give money to the owners of capital. As debt increases, the proportion of government money going to this class should increase. This should produce inflation that weakens the buying power of people who don't have any assets, as an increasing proportion of cash should be flowing to those who already have wealth. The state can use inflation to reduce the value of the debt by printing money. Still it means the level of debt remains important and has to be managed and constrained.

Of course central banks can just buy government bonds themselves, which I guess makes them disappear effectively? Macro is all very confusing.

If I'm understanding correctly, if it was decided that the federal government would run on MMT terms there would be no bonds. They'd "print" a bunch of money through the Federal Reserve to pay off existing debt (all at once? unclear if this would just generate huge inflation) then not issue anymore. New deficit spending would be paid for through money printing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU