Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
If taxes are just "deleting" money out of existence, what's the functional difference between taxing the rich at a higher rate, and simply paying the poor more generously? Like, would it be possible to get rid of inequality by paying everyone enough such that everyone is a millionaire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

LuciferMorningstar posted:

In the short run, yeah, you could. I assume the long run outcome would likely be somewhere between "economic collapse" and "now, but the numbers are 100 times larger."

From a practical perspective, I figure "add more" has outcomes different from "take some out." It might be easier to balance by taking and reallocating (taxing, basically) than it is by adding here and there. I'm just speculating, though.

Helsing posted:

Ultimately there are still limits on government spending such as the stock of actual resources in the economy. At some point if you don't tax the rich or somehow regulate prices there are going to outspend everyone else and bid up prices on anything scarce.

MMT doesn't solve the problem of scarcity it just gives us a more accurate perspective on how government finances work.

These posts were helpful, and answered my question. Thanks!

One other followup, then, because this is really interesting to me, and as an economic layman I'm just sort of speculating, or shooting from the hip. Say some hypothetical country A then artificially puts a ceiling on prices so the rich couldn't outbid everyone? What would happen? Like is inflation really a problem still?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Man, being able to pay taxes in bushels of wheat, amphorae of oil, or bales of sheep wool was the best. I miss the good old days. :(