Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Gnumonic posted:

There are two sorts of claims floating around in this thread, both by people who support and oppose MMT:

1) MMT is just a more accurate analysis of what we already do.

2) MMT is a panacea that will allow us to implement social programs without worrying about the cost.

I might be able to buy 1), but for the reasons Dead Reckoning and a few other posters have noted, 1) doesn't imply 2) and seems inconsistent with it. If it's just a new way of analyzing something and doesn't involve substantive policy changes at all then whether or not we should prefer it is an entirely academic question.

I also don’t get how the theory is really that useful, except as a way to promote government spending if you don’t think about it too much. It seems to make similar kinds of predictions as the government budgeting type of thinking, except it involves a nebulous quantity (inflation risk).

Theory accuracy is not that useful if in order to take advantage of the theory’s improved accuracy, you need inputs to the theory which are not easy to estimate or obtain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think everyone understands the theory, the question is whether that theory tells us anything useful about how we should run our government. Because same people are saying, "well, it's really just a more accurate way to model what already happens"

Agreed. It isn’t a very useful “policy design model”, to use lingo from engineering, because one of the key inputs to the model, inflationary risk, is hard to predict.

I’m not sure how you meaningfully apply the model to make government decisions in real time, except if you don’t think about it too much, and just want to say:

Dead Reckoning posted:

"Actually, it lets us spend whatever we want on democratic policy priorities without raising taxes."