Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
How does all of this take into account actual instances of hyperinflation? As in, what would this system do differently than the scenarios that produced hyperinflation? I'm no economist and expert in this topic

Also, since currencies float against each other in international exchanges -- does everyone in the world need to embrace MMT for those rates to remain stable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Family Values posted:

In MMT inflation is controlled by raising taxes, raising interest rates, and reducing discretionary spending. Those are the same tools we use now to control inflation. Hyperinflation is almost always caused by a government holding debt denominated in a foreign currency and then being unable to service that debt when its economy cools. This isn't something that the US needs to worry about because the US borrows in dollar-denominated debt.

OK, I guess I'm still confused. Is MMT something that can only be practiced by the US government because it can print dollars?
And should governments not issue bonds at all -- just create dollars (or whatever the local currency is) and spend them?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Babylon Astronaut posted:

MMT theorists support a job guarantee to fix much of the system's ills, and the Marxists think it's the most humane way to let capitalism eat itself.

Save and not spend? Fine private sector, were always hiring, are brutally efficient and don't need to profit to survive. Currently, the private sector can just starve you out and makes you bargain against the reserve army of the unemployed.

MMT is one of the only economic theories that makes full employment possible. Unlike a UBI, it lets labor keep its say, gives dignity to the other-abled, and doesn't depend on funding levels keeping pace with purchasing power and cost of living.

I would imagine that Marxists would disagree pretty strongly with the MMT understanding of value and capital, no?