Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

This is so hard to wrap your head around as a layman. I saw a comedian who said "I'm not $32,000 in debt, I'm just running a $32,000 budget deficit". My whole adult life I've been a left winger super pissed off about how whenever the right is in power they always deficit spend like a motherfucker, but they do it on fighter jets and tax cuts for their friends instead of on the common good. Then the left gets in to power and (sometimes) balances the budget but it still only marginally helps the needy. You'd think they would fire up all kinds of social programs and prove that helping the lower classes helps america.

quote:

why doesn’t the government just give everyone a million dollars? For that matter, why do we even need taxes? Answer is inflation. If the government puts too much into the economy, without also taking money out of the economy via taxes, you can see high inflation, even hyperinflation. This is essentially the speed limit on government spending, how much can we spend before we have to worry about inflation?

Is this another way of saying that if everyone had money, everyone else would jack prices up on everything and the money would go down in value, rendering it moot? If so, how is that really so different than keeping tabs on dollars in vs dollars out, like an individual?

It's so abstract but I can see how it's essential to understand. Help me out goons.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU