Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

TTBF posted:

I'm just tired of Black, Gargano, and Ciampa and want to see something new.

If it helps, tonight makes a Black callup by post-Mania Raw/SD very likely at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

jesus WEP posted:

vaguely agree that they could and maybe should be getting more faces on takeovers but it doesn’t really prove anything about how HHH would run the main roster
I think its just probably saying that HHH is going to ruin things by mothballing various good talents while having storylines that last forever and past their expiration date

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RShsg_tYuoc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53T0FBQEeek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV-I3c43KF4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGkl7KC-c0s

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

What did Dream do I missed it

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Not particularly excited for evil DIY but more Dream is always good.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Basic Chunnel posted:

What did Dream do I missed it

Dream, Ricochet and Black got into a tussle at the top of the ramp with Evil DIY (feat. Adam Cole) and it spilled into the backstage area where HHH broke it up.

Dream and the other two mugged for everybody for 10+ minutes in the ring before Jojo showed up and told everyone to go home.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
I know at one stage the War Raiders were planned to beat TUE in 30 seconds.

Personally expect a Wrestlemania weekend Takeover rematch.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/FakeTJHawke/status/1089351630762459136
The solution is obviously having more than 5 Takeovers every year

Honestly, DIY are so great that it's not as bad as at other times. But remember how long Finn-Joe, Joe-Nakamura, Nakamura-Roode lasted? Most of their main title programs spill out over so many months, there's a lack of freshness there.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I ran out of phone battery and then I went out to eat, but hooooooly poo poo, I can't believe I got to see that live, especially Johnny's match. Every single thing about that show was beyond brilliant, the crowd was red hot, my abs were hurting from jumping out of my seat and screaming by the end. Bianca was brilliant, she's going to carry the NXT women with Io when/if the Horsewomen and Kairi come up. I had no idea how those two could possibly follow Johnny, but in the end I'd say they pulled it off pretty drat well. Ciampa and Black's match was intense and psychological and I loved it. Just an amazing show from top to bottom.

The Rumble has a LOT to live up to, but for now I'm jazzed as hell.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Wazzu posted:

Honestly, DIY are so great that it's not as bad as at other times. But remember how long Finn-Joe, Joe-Nakamura, Nakamura-Roode lasted? Most of their main title programs spill out over so many months, there's a lack of freshness there.
That's why I was saying maybe bump up the amount of takeovers because you could cycle through feuds faster instead of making everything take so long to get from start to finish.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

achillesforever6 posted:

That's why I was saying maybe bump up the amount of takeovers because you could cycle through feuds faster instead of making everything take so long to get from start to finish.

Working out the right balance of more content/fresh match ups/no storyline cohesion if it just jumps feud to feud is a hell of a challenge. But the average 8 month long NXT title feuds get old.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I don't think the answer is more Takeovers... but they should be doing an occasional live NXT weekly show.

Like if they are doing 4 shows at a taping, is it not possible to make the first hour live and then tape the remaining 3 episodes?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

I ran out of phone battery and then I went out to eat, but hooooooly poo poo, I can't believe I got to see that live, especially Johnny's match. Every single thing about that show was beyond brilliant, the crowd was red hot, my abs were hurting from jumping out of my seat and screaming by the end. Bianca was brilliant, she's going to carry the NXT women with Io when/if the Horsewomen and Kairi come up. I had no idea how those two could possibly follow Johnny, but in the end I'd say they pulled it off pretty drat well. Ciampa and Black's match was intense and psychological and I loved it. Just an amazing show from top to bottom.

The Rumble has a LOT to live up to, but for now I'm jazzed as hell.

You and I really did have excellent seats to witness this beaut of an NXT. So very glad I went a little bit more expensive on NXT tickets.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Gonz posted:

You and I really did have excellent seats to witness this beaut of an NXT. So very glad I went a little bit more expensive on NXT tickets.

Same. The pricetag was more than worthwhile. Do you have good seats for the Rumble tomorrow? I got something on the field but I kind of had to take a guess balancing price and likelihood of good.

EDIT:

For future reference I can't recommend the :camera6: seats enough. It's so cool to get to see everything from the perspective the wrestlers have been trained to favor but in person. (apologies for my lovely phone cam)

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 27, 2019

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

Same. The pricetag was more than worthwhile. Do you have good seats for the Rumble tomorrow?

Nah, I spent much more on my NXT ticket than the Rumble ticket. I'm upper deck; I just wanted to be present at the Rumble. For every good Rumble there's poo poo like a few years ago where Kane and Big Show tossed out all the faces to piss everyone off.

Tomorrow is going to be exhausting and expensive for me, though. Going to Axxess at 8 AM to Noon, then grabbing lunch at a food truck downtown, then walking over to the AMC to see the new Spider-Man movie, then going to the baseball park for the start of the Rumble pre-show at 3 PM. I've got it all timed perfectly. My day should end sometime around 10 or 11 PM. I shall probably fall directly into bed with my street clothes still on. Gonna see if I can't grab a belt at Axxess. Got my eye on the UK title, Attitude Era WWF title or the IC title with the white leather.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Gonz posted:

Nah, I spent much more on my NXT ticket than the Rumble ticket. I'm upper deck; I just wanted to be present at the Rumble. For every good Rumble there's poo poo like a few years ago where Kane and Big Show tossed out all the faces to piss everyone off.

Tomorrow is going to be exhausting and expensive for me, though. Going to Axxess at 8 AM to Noon, then grabbing lunch at a food truck downtown, then walking over to the AMC to see the new Spider-Man movie, then going to the baseball park for the start of the Rumble pre-show at 3 PM. I've got it all timed perfectly. My day should end sometime around 10 or 11 PM. I shall probably fall directly into bed with my street clothes still on. Gonna see if I can't grab a belt at Axxess. Got my eye on the UK title, Attitude Era WWF title or the IC title with the white leather.

Nice. I'm not going to axxess, going to see if I can find something else to do in Phoenix since paying like 50 bucks to get in is BS. I also might buy a belt, since I've wanted one since I was 8. Thinking about the NXT NA or IC title.

I've been thinking about a movie myself, if me and my bud end up going I'll PM you to see if we can meet up :)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Gonz posted:

Well the good news is that AMC is pretty affordable.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Finally got to see this, and good lord, this show was absolute fire.

You know what I think makes NXT so good is the Heels are allowed to look both legitimately tough and also smart. I think in every match on the card, this was a thing. This was a thing in every match. Ohno maybe didn't look as tough, but he made up for it by being extra smart/vicious.

UE vs War Raiders was fantastic, made the Raiders look like a million bucks, made UE look great even though they finally lost and it feels like a "for realsies" lost and not like the trade off with Mustache Mountain. I don't think they're getting it back, which, well, in retrospective, it's crazy to me how good their whole run was, and how much better tag wrestling is in NXT and NXT UK than in the main roster. (Although, New Day, Usos, and the Bar tend to kill it when they're given time to).
~~~~~
Riddle vs Ohno was really good for a filler match. I like how grimy Ohno got, the ring apron spot in particular. Tapping via strikes is a great finish. More stuff like this needs to happen in wrestling.
~~~~~
Ricochet vs Gargano was spectacular. It was probably a better match than Gargano vs Almas. Johnny Gargano knocks these excellent, awe-inspiring matches out with alarming frequency. I'm excited to see him hold a title. I'm also glad to see Ricochet drop, because he was given a mid-card belt and was never booked as a mid-card wrestler. He does stuff so effortlessly, he was clearly slumming it. He is superhuman, and probably correctly booked as a superhuman, but for all his immense talent, creativity, and genius, I also usually find him really, really wooden. Not just in his promos, but in ring, too. It's taken me out of matches he's had, because for as crisp his technical wrestling is, and as stupidly athletic all his flying or power spots are, hell as good as all his stuff looks, it doesn't look mean. This match, right here though? This was mean.

As impressive as this was athletically, what really made this above and beyond is what he does with his mouth and just the nasty look he gets on his face immediately after he lands. (And to a much lesser extent, the smirk afterward) It just sells that he did this crazy feat, not just through being impossibly agile and strong, but by having the crazy force of will necessary to power his body through it. This moment is the most charismatic I've seen Ricochet be, and I need to see more of it.

Miles Morales outfit was loving on point, and if there's one person alive I believe is secretly Spider-man, it's Ricochet. Which makes me correct, because as we all know, the original Ricochet was Spider-man when he was pretending to be four different superheroes.
~~~~~
The Women's match was... mn. I have a lot of mixed thoughts on it. On the whole I enjoyed it, but it felt disjointed and I especially didn't like the second half. And it was halves. It felt like they took the beginning from one match, and then tacked on the ending from a second, unrelated match, that happened to contain the same two competitors. The arm work in the opening was brutal, and it really looked like they were trying to set up a storyline of Belair having to finally face real adversity and maybe actually feel doubt and then eventually get defeated. And it did that pretty well, but I think they also correctly assumed that it wouldn't make Belair look strong enough, but they went completely, stupidly, unnecessarily overboard with the ways they protected Bianca in the second half. They gave her the lovely "I pinned you" spot, which the crowd counted to 6 (Stupid crowd kept counting even after Belair was clearly off the body) This undermines any way of making Belair look like she's facing real adversity/a legitimate equal, which does keep her strong, but is bad for progressing her character. It makes Shayna look really bad though. They had the horsewomen run in for distractions twice, but like, the least effective distractions, so they had 0 impact on the match. Since they clearly were no help to Shayna, this does nothing but make the two of them look bad. THEN they did the "Hero passes out" spot, but even then, it was the most drawn out, over-the-top version of it possible. By this point I had enough. Also, the booker, Shayna, and Bianca all completely loving forgot about all the arm stuff from the first half of the match. All praise to Bianca Belair, who is so strong, talented, and amazing. They needed to cut the robbed pin spot out entirely. The horsewomen are a net zero either way, so I guess you can keep that spot. Then they should have had Belair get out of an arm-submission (validating the first half of the match!), and THEN do the pass-out spot, especially the bit where Shayna's scrambling around to REALLY keep it locked in. It establishes the same thing about Bianca, lets her lose cleanly enough where she has some adversity, and has the added benefit of not making Shayna seem increasingly weak. And it feels worse because going into this match, I was one of those people who did not feel like Belair was ready for this.

But that's booking.

Because Bianca Belair, the actual woman in the ring last night? loving killed it. She looked poised, actually did look like she could sell the adversity she faced in the first half of the match if they stuck with it, and would have came out of this match looking strong anyhow, just on account of "Holy hell, this woman is strong". She looked like not only was she obviously ready for this, she was probably ready for it a couple of months ago. I am instantly a fan of hers. And the crazy thing is, after watching this match, I'd be OK with the stupid uncounted pin spot. Because she just gave herself that much credibility. In fact, I'll go one further: you script things out in this match without the uncounted pin spot. If Belair performs to the degree she did today, then the next time you have her compete for this title, you do give her the uncounted pin spot and then have her win anyhow. All praise to Bianca Belair, who is so strong, talented, and amazing, only for real this time. Bianca's special.
~~~~~
Ciampa is a great champion. Just insanely good at heel work.

But as far as the match goes, a lot of people said that the match was missing something, and it was. You know what it was missing? Black's offense. It told a good story, both men performed quite well, Ciampa retained in a way Ciampa ought to retain at a time when Ciampa ought to retain. But Black just didn't get to do nearly enough things in the match. That extended sequence where Ciampa just relentlessly did everything he could think of to ruin Black's leg? Black needed to get sporadic offense mixed in there. Instead, it took a huge effort to put down Black, yet Ciampa never really felt threatened enough, either. Like the wrestling equivalent of the boss fights from Breath of Fire 1. You know, where the bosses keep having invisible health bars after they should have died, but they can't really damage your party enough where you think you might lose?

The ending of this match felt a lot like that Rollins/Reigns match a few years back, where Seth caught a spear into a pedigree, Roman kicked out, and then Rollins hit a much less spectacular pedigree and won.

All that said, it's crazy how enjoyable this match still was despite dismal booking. If this were two mediocre guys instead of Ciampa/Black, something scripted this way could easily be a WMOTY contender.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
oh no....we make never see KOR play air guitar on the belt again....the true loss last night...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Conrad_Birdie posted:

oh no....we make never see KOR play air guitar on the belt again....the true loss last night...

He can air guitar the Tag Team of the Year award :3:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean, Ricochet landing on his feet is cool, but it's also a blatant copying of a spot Ibushi and Ospreay did in December and not done as well.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Somebody people are never happy

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

this was a weird one for me, it made me like ricochet a lot more because honestly i find gargano to be a garbage man who effectively ruins nxt at the moment and so he puts his opponents over by proxy, the main event had no reason to be remotely engaged with story wise, it just seemed like doing a fight for the sake of it because Black lacks any ability to be proactive in his storylines (due to his character, but a character he chose) so we were just talking all over that one and not paying any attention outside the 1 or 2 original spots,

but the other three matches were pretty great, TUE routinely do fantastically well at setting up expectations then fulfilling them, Riddle really showed that he can do serious faces/matches well and I absolutely loved Baszler v Bel Air, even the incredibly (and probably a bit overly so) long choke out sequence. I just want good story telling and I don't agree with people who think DIY or Black are good at it, Ciampa does the best work of the 3 but just give the belt to Dream already and everyone else can just fit into the extended velvetverse

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, Ricochet landing on his feet is cool, but it's also a blatant copying of a spot Ibushi and Ospreay did in December and not done as well.

Pretty sure Ricochet was doing that spot before Ospreay. I think?

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Landing on your feet is nothing new, but the specific "land on your feet and look badass while your opponent looks shocked" is a direct rip-off of a memorable spot that was used to build Ospreay-Ibushi for the Tokyo Dome. Except Ospreay didn't stumble and Ibushi's expressions were ten times better than Gargano's.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

I dunno it's pretty much an extension of the casual flip walk from this promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzUr63g_iVg&t=159s

Also he's been doing that sort of thing for like 10+ years as I'm almost certain I've seen the same thing in old Chuck Taylor videos from when Ricochet still had an afro

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Dream is too good for the NXT belt. He's too good for the WWE.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ThePariah posted:

Landing on your feet is nothing new, but the specific "land on your feet and look badass while your opponent looks shocked" is a direct rip-off of a memorable spot that was used to build Ospreay-Ibushi for the Tokyo Dome. Except Ospreay didn't stumble and Ibushi's expressions were ten times better than Gargano's.

Yeah Ospreay and Ibushi didn't invent that spot two months ago

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Nobody said that they invented that spot, just that they did the exact same spot in a recent, memorable match, except better. If someone says "I'm sorry, I love you" before a superkick, I'm going to think of HBK-Flair from Wrestlemania, even though everyone does superkicks these days.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ThePariah posted:

Nobody said that they invented that spot, just that they did the exact same spot in a recent, memorable match, except better. If someone says "I'm sorry, I love you" before a superkick, I'm going to think of HBK-Flair from Wrestlemania, even though everyone does superkicks these days.

And it's an absurd exaggeration to describe it as a "rip-off" when people have been doing it for like a decade. No doubt he did it because Ospreay did it recently, but I'm like 90% sure he also did it before Ospreay. It's not something to get so worked up about.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

The Kimoa Kid posted:

And it's an absurd exaggeration to describe it as a "rip-off" when people have been doing it for like a decade. No doubt he did it because Ospreay did it recently, but I'm like 90% sure he also did it before Ospreay. It's not something to get so worked up about.

but njpw

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/KingRicochet/status/1089552388866764805

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the only thing we can say for sure is that kota ibushi is the loving best

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that is different. That would be like saying "I like ya, and i apologize" before a superkick.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

VERY lmao

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

the only thing we can say for sure is that kota ibushi is the loving best

:hmmyes:

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
I'm not mad about the spot, but it's disingenuous to say that it didn't have the same template as the Ospreay-Ibushi spot (which I've ironically seen described as an NXT-esque spot due to the camera angles and facial expressions).

My main point was that Ibushi good.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1089405256335683585
:lol: at the responses to this

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ThePariah posted:

I'm not mad about the spot, but it's disingenuous to say that it didn't have the same template as the Ospreay-Ibushi spot (which I've ironically seen described as an NXT-esque spot due to the camera angles and facial expressions).

My main point was that Ibushi good.

Let us all join together in the fraternity of humanity and acknowledge the universal truth that Kota Ibushi is better than Johnny Gargano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

"Johnny Gargano" is a weird way to spell "everyone, literally every single person"