Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

bagual posted:

nice, glad someone else likes it :)

Yeah, I like listened to two full concerts and some radio station performances. This is my new poo poo.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
When I was a kid my favorite roller coaster was the "Zambezi Zinger" from Worlds of Fun in Kansas City. It was a pretty tame coaster but had a fun spiral climb and at the end you went through an underground tunnel. It's still very beloved in KC to this day.

Now there's tons of people in KC who have an amusement park in Colombia in their bucket list because when the coaster came down it was sold to the Parque Nacional Del Café in Quindio, Colombia. Now it lives on in a new place, and is supposedly now just as beloved in Colombia as it was in Kansas City

The Zinger in the 70's

The Zinger nowadays, new paint job

edited because I guess I don't know how to spell "Colombia"

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 29, 2019

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Colombia*

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
Let's not forget Brazil.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Gonna check this out while in Peru later this year. Hell yea global warming did something good for once!

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
That's amazing. What/where in Peru is it?

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

my dog died im sad posted:

That's amazing. What/where in Peru is it?

Rainbow mountains near the tourism valley right?

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

:smith:

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Shaking booty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZrjgHyK9bE

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
https://twitter.com/bakelod/status/1090753073927077888

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Altos de Pipe, near Caracas, Venezuela

The Orinoco River, near the Átures Rapids

That's Colombia in the background, a Venezuelan river island in the foreground.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
the exact moments the Brumadinho dam broke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNp1I7dUkiA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VeYgXYsL88

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Ask me about owning property in Medellin, Cali and Cartagena

AMA

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer
shitholes.jpg

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Algarrobo, Chile. This isn't the most spectacular picture of Chile, or of South America. It is just where I was Monday.

I find that a lot of images of South America focus either on the more vibrant/historical/beautiful things, or else tacky/criminal/poverty things.

There is a lot in the middle. Maybe they aren't always image worthy, but there is a lot of just...normal stuff out there.
Anyone want pictures of the mayonaisse and condom vending machines in the Santiago Metro?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Julius CSAR posted:

When I was a kid my favorite roller coaster was the "Zambezi Zinger" from Worlds of Fun in Kansas City. It was a pretty tame coaster but had a fun spiral climb and at the end you went through an underground tunnel. It's still very beloved in KC to this day.

Now there's tons of people in KC who have an amusement park in Colombia in their bucket list because when the coaster came down it was sold to the Parque Nacional Del Café in Quindio, Colombia. Now it lives on in a new place, and is supposedly now just as beloved in Colombia as it was in Kansas City

The Zinger in the 70's

The Zinger nowadays, new paint job

edited because I guess I don't know how to spell "Colombia"

A similar roller coaster still operates at Six Flags Great America near Chicago. Same manufacturer and design but different layout. The only other of it's kind still in operation:

https://rcdb.com/113.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyj0Kst_GRo

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
I'm glad someone resurrected TT because it has a lot of potential.

Ahem, you don't belong in this post.

Don't worry, I took care of the man eating arapaima.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
The elusive andean catte, which conservationists often declare as extinct until one shows up once every decade. Not a lot is known save for the mountain ranges it has been spotted, in Peru, bolivia and chile

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
So, there was a thread some time ago where a goon suggested I should go back and watch season 2 and 3 of Fear the Walking Dead. I foolishly decided to stop when they set the show on another drat farm. "Not again!" I was thinking. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Ruben Blades is now one of my favourite multi-talented entertainers. An amazing fact is that he once ran for president of Panama. His party got a respectable 18% of the vote. (most countries don't use a two party system).

Check out his Jazz music too.

Go ahead and try to guess his age:

He's 70! I hope I look as fresh and healthy as that when I'm his age.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Quiemada Grande AKA Snake Island.

Rising sea levels caused this island to be separated from Brazil about 10,000 years ago. The vipers on this island evolved differently from those in Brazil. The only prey was birds so they developed a highly toxic venom that can kill birds almost instantly. It can kill an adult human in roughly one hour. There are said to be five snakes per square meter on the island, if your sofa had this concentration of snakes psm you'd have to exterminate 15-20 of them.

Civilians are banned from the island by law. The only building there is a lighthouse that was abandoned in the 1920's. A family lived there but of course, they were killed by snakes. Legend has it that snakes were pouring in through the lighthouse windows. Brazil's navy travels there once a year to perform maintenance. The only island more terrifying than this one is Poveglia Island (but only if you are superstitious.)

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer
moar like slytherin my butthole lol

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

onedayholiday posted:

moar like slytherin my butthole lol

Thanks. I needed someone to break up my spamming chain. I want this thread to be a contender for the china thread. Anyway, back to the matter at hand:

The Aztec Death Whistle

The pre-Columbian empire of the Aztec was probably every bit as advanced as any empire in Europe. They didn't have our blacksmithing but light metal work (like goldsmithing) was as good, if not better, than anything in Spain. Masonry too. I don't think I need to tell anyone about how their agriculture was also lightyears ahead of ours. When we took advantage of their horticultural talents it had a profound effect on many other places. Where would we be without potatoes, tomatoes, pumpkins, maize, chilli and capsicum peppers?

But their real talents lied in psychological warfare.

Imagine a few hundred Aztec warriors, all with this little doo-dad, blowing into them all at once, while hiding in the jungle. It could possibly kill an infirm person with heart trouble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sw0VCtZs-g

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
I mentioned in my previous post how much of the food we eat today was developed by pre-Columbian civilizations. Well, south America has it's own spin on some old world classics:

Buchada, Brazilian Haggis! Actually a goats stomach filled with a few extra organs than just heart, liver and lungs

Changua! Columbian...porridge? Cooked egg, milk and bits of stale bread with herbs.

Morcilla Dulce, Black Pudding! This stuff is supposed to be much sweeter than what is eaten in the British isles.

Apparently Nicaragua has it's own version of Casu Marzu, that Italian cheese infested with maggots. I couldn't verify if the picture I found was from Italy or there.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
brazil you unique too good to be latin american fuckers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw6uLjhlFXI

Valko posted:

Changua! Columbian...porridge? Cooked egg, milk and bits of stale bread with herbs.

leave it to columbia to spice loving plantains

Magius1337est fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 2, 2019

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Columbian Medellin Cartel Boss Pablo Escobar was known for his fondness for animals of all types. He had the means to build his own personal zoo. It was full of animals that you wouldn't want to be left alone in a cage with. Some of them have got out.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSFYAisRhqA

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

glowing-fish posted:

Anyone want pictures of the mayonaisse and condom vending machines in the Santiago Metro?

Yes please. :justpost:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
donkey loving

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Valko posted:

Thanks. I needed someone to break up my spamming chain. I want this thread to be a contender for the china thread. Anyway, back to the matter at hand:

The Aztec Death Whistle

The pre-Columbian empire of the Aztec was probably every bit as advanced as any empire in Europe. They didn't have our blacksmithing but light metal work (like goldsmithing) was as good, if not better, than anything in Spain. Masonry too. I don't think I need to tell anyone about how their agriculture was also lightyears ahead of ours. When we took advantage of their horticultural talents it had a profound effect on many other places. Where would we be without potatoes, tomatoes, pumpkins, maize, chilli and capsicum peppers?

But their real talents lied in psychological warfare.

Imagine a few hundred Aztec warriors, all with this little doo-dad, blowing into them all at once, while hiding in the jungle. It could possibly kill an infirm person with heart trouble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sw0VCtZs-g

Sir this is the South America thread

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
One thing I can say about Brazil: they got some artery-clogging street food.

X-tudo fans represent

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Intensely good

https://twitter.com/VamonosLA/status/1079089868976746496

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Valko posted:

Quiemada Grande AKA Snake Island.

Rising sea levels caused this island to be separated from Brazil about 10,000 years ago. The vipers on this island evolved differently from those in Brazil. The only prey was birds so they developed a highly toxic venom that can kill birds almost instantly. It can kill an adult human in roughly one hour. There are said to be five snakes per square meter on the island, if your sofa had this concentration of snakes psm you'd have to exterminate 15-20 of them.

Civilians are banned from the island by law. The only building there is a lighthouse that was abandoned in the 1920's. A family lived there but of course, they were killed by snakes. Legend has it that snakes were pouring in through the lighthouse windows. Brazil's navy travels there once a year to perform maintenance. The only island more terrifying than this one is Poveglia Island (but only if you are superstitious.)

quote:

Located approximately 33 kilometres (21 mi) off the coast of the state of São Paulo, Brazil, the island is approximately 430,000 square metres (110 acres) in area.
The first systematic study of the population of the golden lancehead found the population to be 2,000 to 4,000, concentrated almost entirely in the rainforest area of the island.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Can't deny it. I would order just about anything with an awkwardly placed whole chicken as a garnish.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

onedayholiday posted:

shitholes.jpg

turn on your monitor

Solar Tornado posted:

One thing I can say about Brazil: they got some artery-clogging street food.

X-tudo fans represent

pfft you present me a shameful puny X-Tudo, you can't beat the glory of a X-Tudão

and this isn't even X's final form. Witness the ULTRA X

it's not so much a sandwich anymore as a pile of food on a platter, the fries will escape the esophagus and jam your coronary arteries instantly

the etimology of x-tudo (and all x-things) is that x stands for cheese as in cheeseburguer. people didn't know any english and turned "cheese" into "x" because it's pronounced basically the same in portuguese, so we have x-burguers, x-salada, x-bacon and eventually x-tudo which translates to x-everything. if you want less obviously bad for your health fast food in Brazil you should ask for a bauru

bagual fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 2, 2019

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Torres del Paine, Chilean Patagonia:

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Temaukel posted:

Yes please. :justpost:

This was from about two months ago, I went to San Antonio, which is a port city south of Valparaiso. San Antonio is actually the major container port for Chile at this point, and it has kind of a reputation as a sketchy place.

Everytime I go to a "bad part of town" in Chile, its full of literal families with toddlers watching Irish Step Dancers. The area around the Port of San Antonio itself is kind of ugly looking, because that is the way most port cities are, but once you walk a few kilometers away, its just another nice medium-sized town full of cute little stuff like this.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
What is going on with this picture? Do you notice anything going on here? And why do you think that is?

Chile has an anti-obesity food law that prohibits advertising high-calorie food items in ways that would target children. So they took all the mascots off of cereal boxes, and there is also no Christmas-themed candy with Santa Claus or other such figures, etc. Foods also are labeled with warning stickers about their calorie, sugar, salt and fat content. This is important because it shows that countries like Chile are now struggling with first world problems, and they are having to do things like this to cope with these problems.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Magius1337est posted:

leave it to columbia to spice loving plantains

No plantains in changua, its just a broth of water, salt, onions and garlic that you add milk to then drop in eggs, garnish with cilantro and serve with bread.

And there are two O's in Colombia people. Not that hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
This is Paine, a small town about 50 km south of downtown Santiago. Just like in the US, places like this that for a long time were "small towns" are basically exurbs now, bedroom communities for commuters into and out of Santiago.

There really is not a lot that is super-distinctive here, this is basically a small town street. I snapped the picture when there wasn't a lot of people in the way, but usually there would be a lot of people coming and going into those little shops. I don't know about all of South America, but at least for Chile, this is what an ordinary street looks like.