Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I spent a couple of weeks in Antofagasta, Chile a few years ago. Here's some pictures I took while there:

Just outside the hotel we stayed at.

We spent the majority of the time we were there in the Atacama desert. The Atacama is the driest place on earth. It's eerily quiet there because there is virtually nothing alive. The view of the stars at night is also incredible.

A cemetery in the Atacama. This was from back when the majority of the worlds nitrate was mined there until the Haber process was invented. Most of these graves were from the late 1800s/early 1900s.

Also taken in Antofagasta:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

The difference between Antofagasta and Mars is that Mars has measurable precipitation.

naem
May 29, 2011

Ka0 posted:

Beer pedantery has taken off near to the usual places: universities, bohemian slums, etc. They're just as atrocious as the IPA-craze in the US, where each microbrewery is constantly striving to out-fruit and out-medicine syrup each other, so now it's no longer good enough to order a loving beer, it has to have X amount of alcohol volume, Y amount of fruit jizz and Z concentration of nutsack hops harvested from the last dying tree of the hopopeke people in the ungaughmagah forest.

soy posted:

don't forget it has to come in a weird can with that kinda sandpapery finish and a cartoonish picture of some random object like a saw or a train

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

glowing-fish posted:

The difference between Antofagasta and Mars is that Mars has measurable precipitation.

Once in a blue moon (literally) there'll be rain over the Atacama and every single square inch of land will be layered with flowers. I haven't seen this happen in the argentinian pampa, but then it's a completely different type of environment

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

There was actually a 100 year rain event a few months after I was there. Everything was flooded. It was pretty amazing to see pictures from a friend that happened to be there again when it happened.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

Comrayn posted:

Pizza, that beloved dish famous for being dry.
it drys out very fast. most pizza chains in america arent supposed to hold pizzas for people after 30 minutes cause they get all stale and congealed.

but yes people wanting piping hot, fresh pizzas is a thing.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Temaukel posted:

And the Yaca:

LOOK
Look at this tiny bastard
what a great creature gently caress y'alls this guy is awesome. If you gently caress with this rock ur fuckin' dead, game the gently caress over.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Antofagasta is in the part of the country that was captured from Bolivia during the War of the Pacific, right? I assume some of them are still salty about that.

Are there any traces of Bolivia left there, is it different from the rest of the country in some way?

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
ok here's dinner, it's a very traditional plate from the pampas region (south brazil, uruguay, argentina) called throw huge slabs of meat and vegetables in the oven

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Historic city market, Porto Alegre, Brasil

just so i'm not only posting my food lmao

bagual fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 10, 2019

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Thanks for blurring out my face

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I missed beer chat, but Pilsen Callao is really good for the price. I also know a guy who runs a small craft brewery (MAD brewing) down there and his stuff is really good, but probably impossible to find outside of Miraflores/Barranco.

wookong
Feb 10, 2019

wait so is this thread just jpgs of south america or south american discussion

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

wookong posted:

wait so is this thread just jpgs of south america or south american discussion

yes

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Nothing wrong with small talk, current events, etc.

For example, everyone's favorite fascist has pneumonia:
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1093603106582130690

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Accretionist posted:

Nothing wrong with small talk, current events, etc.

For example, everyone's favorite fascist has pneumonia:
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1093603106582130690

I saw that, quite the shame.

But anyways, your thread, your rules OP. I’ve found it very entertaining fwiw.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Shame he got to go to the hospital :(

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
South America is rad as gently caress

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Wanna travel there so bad, my gf is spanish tho and absolutely hates the idea of going there. Spanish vs latin america animosity runs deep.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Doesn't even make sense, she can speak the language and everything.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Is it because we're poor and smelly?

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

bagual posted:

Is it because we're poor and smelly?

It's because we're brown :ese:

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Temaukel posted:

It's because we're brown :ese:

they're the same thing in the colonizer mindset, which must be finally and permanently discredited and abandoned :rznv:

here's a brazilian animation movie definitely worth checking out, it's a loving masterpiece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7x8oi_1GBo

there's no dialogue so it's accessible to you gringos as well, the art is absolutely gorgeous but coupled with the soundtrack it brought tears to my eyes in some scenes

you can find it full on youtube in a lovely resolution but you can probably :filez: it or check out if you can buy it anywhere, something I haven't found

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Son of Rodney posted:

Wanna travel there so bad, my gf is spanish tho and absolutely hates the idea of going there. Spanish vs latin america animosity runs deep.

I've met plenty of Spanish people here in Europe and I really didn't feel any animosity at all

I think there's like a hundred times more animosity in latin america vs latin america

also

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
https://twitter.com/YagamiShinji/status/1043166718225465346

Ha

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Illusion broken in the first 5 seconds - an expensive looking screen like that wouldn't last a blink in a latin american subway

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

bagual fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 11, 2019

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Video of the Line 3 Santiago Metro, where it crosses Line 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DBQxpxE2Es

Its a big station.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

The quickest way to get fat in Venezuela is to engorge in tequeños, a phalloid-slab of llanero cheese wrapped in thin crust pastry and deep fried for 2 minutes. They are as ubiquitous as corndogs in Ohio state fairs.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

glowing-fish posted:

Its a big station.

What in the hell? That’s reallly big and cool, but I saw like one overweight person, maybe.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

glowing-fish posted:

Its a big station.

That's a nice underground bus system.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Baronjutter posted:

That's a nice underground bus system.

Better than DCs. Escalators work

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Pochoclo posted:

I've met plenty of Spanish people here in Europe and I really didn't feel any animosity at all

I think there's like a hundred times more animosity in latin america vs latin america

also

Tbh I was joking mostly, it's more of a friendly rivalry akin to us and Canada, English and Scottish, etc. My girlfriend is mostly concerned with danger as she's convinced s. America is super dangerous, and also she has ants to visit other places first. I'm working against this by showing her cool documentaries and pictures from s. American places. A work friend went there for 8 months last year and I'm so jealous.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

To be honest, I have no desire of visiting countries like El Salvador, Venezuela or Honduras where rule of law basically doesn't exist and the murder rate is through the roof. Chile or Costa Rica though, who cares. There are plenty of options even if you're not the adventurous type.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Son of Rodney posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_de_Valdivia

"There are many versions of how Valdivia's killing took place. According to Jerónimo de Vivar, an author contemporary with the events, the execution of Valdivia was personally ordered by Caupolicán, who had him killed with a lance and later his head, along with those of two of his bravest companions, were put on display.[18] Another contemporary chronicler, Alonso de Góngora Marmolejo writes that Valdivia offered as a ransom for his life the evacuation of all the Spanish settlements in the Mapuche lands and to give them large herds of animals,[19] but this offer was rejected and the Mapuche first cut off his forearms, roasted and ate them in front of him before killing him and his accompanying priest.[20]

Alonso de Ercilla refers that Valdivia was killed with the blow of a club, then with a knife a warrior cut open his breast and ripped his still quivering heart which was then handed to the toqui, who sucked its blood. The heart was passed round from one to another, and a drinking cup was made from his skull. The warriors keep running round the corpse brandishing their lances and uttering cries, while the rest of the assembly stamped with their feet until the earth shook.[21]

Yet another contemporary chronicler, Pedro Mariño de Lobera, also wrote that Valdivia offered to evacuate the lands of the Mapuche but says he was shortly thereafter killed with a large club by a vengeful warrior named Pilmaiquen, who said that Valdivia could not be trusted to keep his word once freed.[22] Lobera also says that a common story in Chile at the time was that Valdivia had been killed by forcing him to drink molten gold.[23] According to an even later legend, Lautaro took Valdivia to the Mapuche camp and put him to death after three days of torture, extracting his beating heart and eating it with the Mapuche leaders.[24] The fact remains that probably all the stories about his death are apocryphal, since none of Valdivia's party survived the battle, and the only witnesses that could be found were Indians that were captured in subsequent battles"

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

DoctorGonzo posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_de_Valdivia

"There are many versions of how Valdivia's killing took place. According to Jerónimo de Vivar, an author contemporary with the events, the execution of Valdivia was personally ordered by Caupolicán, who had him killed with a lance and later his head, along with those of two of his bravest companions, were put on display.[18] Another contemporary chronicler, Alonso de Góngora Marmolejo writes that Valdivia offered as a ransom for his life the evacuation of all the Spanish settlements in the Mapuche lands and to give them large herds of animals,[19] but this offer was rejected and the Mapuche first cut off his forearms, roasted and ate them in front of him before killing him and his accompanying priest.[20]

Alonso de Ercilla refers that Valdivia was killed with the blow of a club, then with a knife a warrior cut open his breast and ripped his still quivering heart which was then handed to the toqui, who sucked its blood. The heart was passed round from one to another, and a drinking cup was made from his skull. The warriors keep running round the corpse brandishing their lances and uttering cries, while the rest of the assembly stamped with their feet until the earth shook.[21]

Yet another contemporary chronicler, Pedro Mariño de Lobera, also wrote that Valdivia offered to evacuate the lands of the Mapuche but says he was shortly thereafter killed with a large club by a vengeful warrior named Pilmaiquen, who said that Valdivia could not be trusted to keep his word once freed.[22] Lobera also says that a common story in Chile at the time was that Valdivia had been killed by forcing him to drink molten gold.[23] According to an even later legend, Lautaro took Valdivia to the Mapuche camp and put him to death after three days of torture, extracting his beating heart and eating it with the Mapuche leaders.[24] The fact remains that probably all the stories about his death are apocryphal, since none of Valdivia's party survived the battle, and the only witnesses that could be found were Indians that were captured in subsequent battles"

Visit Chile! See the sights!

also, we'll eat you with pebre on the side.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Seems like the Mapuche wasn't too fond of that Spanish colonization idea after all huh.
I mean, the diseases and massacres against them might have influenced their opinion about it I guess.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

gently caress why did I get assigned to Chile

We joke but the various Latin American independence movements were all headed by criollos and nothing's really changed since then, except maybe in Bolivia. The average upper-class Latin American is almost certainly much more racist than that guy's Spanish girlfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
José Miguel Carrera and Manuel Rodriguez were cool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Miguel_Carrera
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_Rodr%C3%ADguez_Erdo%C3%ADza