Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Carteret posted:

I believe your excuse EVERY YEAR EVER (besides the year we all don't want to think about... the dark Quarex-less Con) had something to do with the Auction Dinner? Or was that on Tuesday and you just hate us.

I want to say the Auction dinner is on Tuesday which is why Quarex, and by association me as his equally-unhinged partner in Gen-Con crime, started spending the WHOLE WEEK OF GEN-CON IN INDY WOOOOOOOOO but that doesn't explain why neither of us went to Shots Wednesday, and I don't remember any other reason.

GEN

COOOOOOON

Edit: my financial spreadsheet has, among other things, a tab for savings and how much of the whole account is devoted to what thing (one thing being Gen-Con, of course), long story short I have a countdown to Gen-Con in the sheet so I have a little reminder of just how soon it is coming. 186 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist

The Moon Monster posted:

Anyone remember when 4 day passes sold out last year?

Past few years, I haven't ordered my pass until about a week before event registration, which has always worked out well (with the caveat that I'm local, and thus have no need for a hotel).

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Carteret posted:

I believe your excuse EVERY YEAR EVER (besides the year we all don't want to think about... the dark Quarex-less Con) had something to do with the Auction Dinner? Or was that on Tuesday and you just hate us.
OH THE AUCTION DINNER

Wait but then Captain Rat said that is on Tuesday; if that is true then what is my problem???????? If I did not have a new phone every year like clockwork I could at least look back at my text logs to see what the hell was going on

nesbit37 posted:

so glad they did exhibitor housing earlier this week. I've been in the hospital since Friday and I can't imagine the anxiety the housing lottery would have added on while here if I had to either miss it or deal with it while doctors are doing unspeakable things to me.
Nesbit37 no :( Why

Get well soon???

OB_Juan posted:

Quarex - Come to SHOTS WEDNESDAY
COME TO SHOTS WEDNESDAY

Agrias120 posted:

GEN CON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so excited that I am actually going to go look at the official forums again

Someone else can look at the Facebook group or Reddit group, I do not believe in supporting fascism :smug:

CaptainRat posted:

I want to say the Auction dinner is on Tuesday which is why Quarex, and by association me as his equally-unhinged partner in Gen-Con crime, started spending the WHOLE WEEK OF GEN-CON IN INDY WOOOOOOOOO but that doesn't explain why neither of us went to Shots Wednesday, and I don't remember any other reason.

GEN

COOOOOOON

Edit: my financial spreadsheet has, among other things, a tab for savings and how much of the whole account is devoted to what thing (one thing being Gen-Con, of course), long story short I have a countdown to Gen-Con in the sheet so I have a little reminder of just how soon it is coming. 186 days.
I am proud of you for having a spreadsheet covering both the vitally important (186 days to go) and the nice bonus feature (remembering to save money).

Also, do you think we should tell the others about our Most Amazing Restaurant Discovery Ever from last year that I totally forgot about until Torrent said something?

(Yes, we should)

So the Fat Rooster Diner in the Hyatt was, like, a virtual Shangri-La (or perhaps Brigadoon is actually a more appropriate reference?) for us last year when we were just in desperate need of some lunch but did not have it in our hearts to deal with lines. We were in the midst of crossing from the Embassy Suites to the convention center, which passes through the Hyatt, and we were like "...why not just eat at that fancy-looking restaurant with like two people in it and be done RIGHT NOW?"

So not only did the Fat Rooster have a lunch buffet, but the lunch buffet was actually good, and it even had a chef in line producing made-to-order pasta dishes, and a dessert table that seemed like it would have easily been worth the price of the buffet by itself (I believe the buffet was like $14?). Ugh. It was so amazingly good. And I see Googin' reviews that a lot of people specifically call out this place as being bad, haha. It is also worth mentioning that they said something about probably having a "special limited menu" for 2019's convention, so it might also be too late for us to have found out about this place as perhaps it will just be selling waffles off a cart or something but who knows

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I trust you, Quarex. I'll go visit your Big Cock.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Why aren't you making James shell out for a sweet hotel room??

I blame his rapid acquisition of dozens of tiny startup podcasts, now he can't afford to offer hotel coverage to the network because there's like 30 people in it. Whatever, our Airbnb was rad as gently caress last year and it's the same folks. Booze, easy walk to Kuma's, Lyft ride takes like five minutes.

Also everyone in the whole got-drat network got lottery numbers above 3 pm. He had to beg listeners for a better slot. Meanwhile we were slotted in (at 250 for the whole stay) like a month ago.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
All the Air BnB I looked up were loving ridiculously priced.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Dr. Quarex posted:

DJFOOBOO NO WHY I thought you were local?!

If all goes according to plan: I am going back to active duty military and moving to Florida for a couple years (to please my wife) then to Eurasia for 9+ years (to please me). I can't see using precious leave to go to Gencon every year, but will probably do it a few times.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

theironjef posted:

I blame his rapid acquisition of dozens of tiny startup podcasts, now he can't afford to offer hotel coverage to the network because there's like 30 people in it. Whatever, our Airbnb was rad as gently caress last year and it's the same folks. Booze, easy walk to Kuma's, Lyft ride takes like five minutes.

Also everyone in the whole got-drat network got lottery numbers above 3 pm. He had to beg listeners for a better slot. Meanwhile we were slotted in (at 250 for the whole stay) like a month ago.

I considered Airbnb but it worries me, booking a room at someone's house seven months in advance. All kinds of things could go wrong and then I'd be stuck 30 minutes away or having to pay an extra premium.

Instead I'm going to have to worry about how work will be loving me this year.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Carteret posted:

I trust you, Quarex. I'll go visit your Big Cock.
I want you to appreciate just how confused I was to read this right after waking up. Excellent work.

djfooboo posted:

If all goes according to plan: I am going back to active duty military and moving to Florida for a couple years (to please my wife) then to Eurasia for 9+ years (to please me). I can't see using precious leave to go to Gencon every year, but will probably do it a few times.
Well, that is certainly a fairly convincing reason, yes. And I like that you are still thinking about flying back from far-away places with strange-sounding names to attend our beloved nerdy good times.

Meanwhile I will recommend anyone interested in zoning out while Gen-Conning get acquainted with Nelly's Nerdy Adventures, as every year her videos (for Origins too somehow!) get closer to looking like travel infomercials (in a good way).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jfaDx4QEiU

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Dr. Quarex posted:

How did your Gen Con 2018 go WerrWaaa?!?!

loving stellar. I can barely contain my excitement for 2019 and it's still so far awaaay. :(

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

The MGC mentioned in the article about Milwaukee gaming conventions is now downtown and has been for a couple of years.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

WerrWaaa posted:

loving stellar. I can barely contain my excitement for 2019 and it's still so far awaaay. :(
WOOO awwwwwwwww :( yeah I hear that. Even though I got there Monday last year I ended up having to leave abruptly on Saturday night and even just entering the Convention Center on Sunday is apparently a vital part of my coping process

Maigius posted:

The MGC mentioned in the article about Milwaukee gaming conventions is now downtown and has been for a couple of years.
Oooh! That means there IS hope for Milwaukee's corporate structural anti-gaming bias to completely disappear! I cannot help but assume that all the stodginess present in the average employee of a business near the convention center in Milwaukee would have dissipated with about two decades of nerd pop culture explosion, too.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

A friend and I are working on a little microsite to help people who needed recommendations during Gen Con. Right now it's just food, but maybe we'll add general Gen Con tips as well. It's nothing special, but if anyone finds it helpful it'll be worth it. My friend is a native of Indy and wanted to write up some alternative/supplemental food suggestions to what he usually reads in this thread, and I figured we might as well go the extra inch and make a site out of it. You can sort by price range, and it's organized into stuff that's walkable and stuff that's a short Uber away.

If anyone does end up finding it useful, I can post when we add new information to it leading up to Gen Con.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Agrias120 posted:

A friend and I are working on a little microsite to help people who needed recommendations during Gen Con. Right now it's just food, but maybe we'll add general Gen Con tips as well. It's nothing special, but if anyone finds it helpful it'll be worth it. My friend is a native of Indy and wanted to write up some alternative/supplemental food suggestions to what he usually reads in this thread, and I figured we might as well go the extra inch and make a site out of it. You can sort by price range, and it's organized into stuff that's walkable and stuff that's a short Uber away.

If anyone does end up finding it useful, I can post when we add new information to it leading up to Gen Con.

Claddagh is walkable chain Irish, and is perfectly servicable.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Agrias120 posted:

I love this and I love you and I guess I love Trout unless that is also you

This could probably be a functional replacement for many of the fairly unappealing-looking lists in the second post...or at least a good thing to click if you wanted to know more!

Please do me a favor and say that Steak 'n' Shake's chili is the secret best reason to eat there (O.K. you do not have to but I have probably ordered it every one of the countless hundreds of times I have gone).

Edit: Dubbayateeeeffff Burger Study is another St. Elmo expedition? Huh, I am intrigued now.

Toshimo posted:

Those brothertuckers take away their delicious Irish food every Gen-Con and replace it with mostly crap, what is wrong with them

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 29, 2019

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Dr. Quarex posted:

I love this and I love you and I guess I love Trout unless that is also you

This could probably be a functional replacement for many of the fairly unappealing-looking lists in the second post...or at least a good thing to click if you wanted to know more!

Please do me a favor and say that Steak 'n' Shake's chili is the secret best reason to eat there (O.K. you do not have to but I have probably ordered it every one of the countless hundreds of times I have gone).

Hahaha! Trout is my Indy-native friend, I just made the site (if it was up to me I would have just listed Sun King 100 times because I have an admittedly irrational love for them). I went ahead and added your Chili recommendation. ;)

Feel free to add it to the OP if you want to!

quote:

Edit: Dubbayateeeeffff Burger Study is another St. Elmo expedition? Huh, I am intrigued now.
Yeah! My group went last year and we had to wait a long time, but the food was really delicious. A little pricey, but it was fun and overall I felt like it was worth it (They had a Stranger Things special which was a burger with waffles for the bun and peanut butter--I was very happy with it). We went because we had extra time to burn between two long sessions, and kind of needed some time to sit and un-fry our brains.

Toshimo posted:

I can't speak to their food, but we were all there once and there was a wad of hair at the bottom of my friend's (dark) beer. It was an argument to get them to not make her pay for it, which more or less turned me off from that location.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Agrias120 posted:

As long as you keep Loughmiller's off that list. While it's gotten more busy than it used to be, it's still surprisingly dead for large chunks of the day. It's our little Goon secret.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I just got my time off approved! GEN CON!!!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Backno posted:

As long as you keep Loughmiller's off that list. While it's gotten more busy than it used to be, it's still surprisingly dead for large chunks of the day. It's our little Goon secret.
^^^^ This.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Maybe this will be the year I show up for drinks on Wed. I did brave talking to GOONS at the JW ballroom last year for a pickup DnD game. Thankfully I don't have to worry about a room I have a friend rich dumb adventurous enough to get VIG every year so we're set at the Marriott I believe

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

So, new development, I've officially got an exhibitor badge this year! Being married to the person who manages conventions for Chaosium has its perks.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

8one6 posted:

I just got my time off approved! GEN CON!!!
GENCONNNNNNNNNNnn kjkjshslkajf

Haystack posted:

So, new development, I've officially got an exhibitor badge this year! Being married to the person who manages conventions for Chaosium has its perks.
Bro

That is awesome in its own right AND because I love anyone contributing to Chaosium's success, given that they are finally re-ascending to their rightful place as one of the most relevant tabletop gaming companies in the world.

-=-=- uNreLaTed -=-=-

I forgot to add something in the first post about how anyone seeking to recreate the Unwelcoming Milwaukee Gen-Con Experience(tm) does have one option: staying at the Columbia Club! We ended up there because I shirked my room-finding responsibilities due to being unsure if I would be able to go in 2007, and checking my e-mail archives I see Torrent was able to get the room from Wednesday-Sunday for $588 total ... which, you know, is a heck of a price for finding a reasonably close hotel in July. I guess it really did used to be a lot easier.

Anyway, when our group stayed there was memorable for some of the same reasons Milwaukee was: confused, rude staff (I still remember us staring confused at each other when we paused to look through our bags before going outside and got a "please stop standing around in the lobby" from the check-in counter clerk); rules incompatible with Gen-Con (check out The Dress Code for the common areas!); and unrepeatable awkward moments (as when an elegantly-dressed person brought a variety of Breakfasty Juices to our room the first morning we were there, returned 30 seconds later, informed us there had been a mistake, and took all the juices away). And other than the vaguely pleasant trappings of Upscale Grandma's Guest Room it was not even a particularly nice space to stay in.

I remember when I brought this up a few years back, someone pointed out that it is clearly a CLUB and not a normal hotel, so it should be no surprise that it does not exactly slot nicely into the Gen-Con vibe. And sure, I have no doubt this place is a breath of fresh air if you are a rich person visiting Indianapolis who really needs to pretend we still live in the 1950s, but, well, it is also two doors down from the Rocket Fizz Soda Pop and Candy Shop so you are not fooling anyone

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Pez posted:

Maybe this will be the year I show up for drinks on Wed. I did brave talking to GOONS at the JW ballroom last year for a pickup DnD game. Thankfully I don't have to worry about a room I have a friend rich dumb adventurous enough to get VIG every year so we're set at the Marriott I believe

Was this my Dungeon World game by chance? Swing by again, we'll have another one!

My yearly Goon Game this go around might be a sorta playtest of a game my wife is making which is kind of specifically being designed with the round robin high-lethal hijinks we do at GenCon, so look forward to that.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Lol, the Columbia Club as a GenCon hotel is hilarious. That place is stuffy as gently caress.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

djfooboo posted:

Lol, the Columbia Club as a GenCon hotel is hilarious. That place is stuffy as gently caress.
Yeah it was so profoundly memorable and not anything I would ever recommend, haha. I have stayed in, I mean, like, hundreds bordering on thousands of hotels in my life, and that place is seriously the #1 most self-important of them all. Though it helps that most of the literal luxury hotels I have been in are in countries where they were probably used to Americans ruining the experience and just never even bothered.

Hey speaking of how to walk into a new situation and be comfortable...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVZJ2NiCan8

Nelly is the best, and anyone who has never gone before (I already see there are some of you) will definitely get something out of this if you have the light stamina required for a 40-minute video. At least her accent is continually delightful!

Edit: poo poo an Irish person saying "Claddagh" has freed me from 15 years of self-consciousness

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 30, 2019

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
I have been spending 3 days a week walking 3 miles just so I don't die like I nearly did last year. Seriously, for newcomers, it was my first time last yearand I needed new legs by day 3. Get Sensible Shoes (TM)

That aside, I am with the Games on Demand Crew this year, so hopefully my ticket and accomodation is sorted! Looking forward to Shot Wednesday!

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Gotta up that training regimen. Get a messenger back and put some games and a big bottle of water in it then do your walking.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Druggeddwarf posted:

I have been spending 3 days a week walking 3 miles just so I don't die like I nearly did last year. Seriously, for newcomers, it was my first time last yearand I needed new legs by day 3. Get Sensible Shoes (TM)

That aside, I am with the Games on Demand Crew this year, so hopefully my ticket and accomodation is sorted! Looking forward to Shot Wednesday!

Yeah, if I could only recommend two items for people at Gen Con, it'd be comfortable shoes and a refillable large water bottle. It's insane how much of a different a pair of shoes with good support makes even by the end of the first day. And you never realize you're dehydrated until it's too late, but I've found if I have a water bottle on me I will take sips of it periodically almost without thought.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!

M a x posted:

Gotta up that training regimen. Get a messenger back and put some games and a big bottle of water in it then do your walking.

BRB Buying Boardgame bags on Amazon.

Oh OH OH other than the usual 5-2-1 rule, DEFINITELY check your hotel for activites and happenings, from the free Pool you can use in the morning to wake yourself up (that was the best part of my hotel) to finding out if there is any gaming happening in your Hotel with other groups. As someone who basically came on his own, finding and making friends is the toughest part of the convention. If you have friends who have come before, catch up to them, and try to at least sync your calendars. If you're on your lonesome, a lot of people are happy to answer questions and help you out in times of need. Respect boundaries, and just be genuinely chill.

Side note: if a lot of people are raving about a boardgame or something they played, go buy it. Doesn't matter if you don't like it, buy it now before you get to England and find out that it isn't released there for 6 more months and when it comes it will be sold out and twice the price with less of the content and you cry yourself to sleep thinking of the fun everyone in America is having with the boardgame you ignored because you were trying to save money for L5R rpg you thought would be in the FFG store but it wasn't and you were disappointed WHY DIDN'T I BUY ROOT WHEN I HAD THE CHANCE!

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

So I got a 1:06 time slot this year, and managed to get a room three blocks from the convention center (in a hotel that's not even finished being built yet). Hooray! Although it isn't quite as good as last year when my group managed to get a hotel that was connected via skywalk and also literally across the street from the ICC.

Either way, maybe this is the year I finally hang out with Goons? I've been going to GenCon in Indianapolis every year since 03 but always with a group of friends who I've stuck pretty close to.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Druggeddwarf posted:

Oh OH OH other than the usual 5-2-1 rule, DEFINITELY check your hotel for activites and happenings, from the free Pool you can use in the morning to wake yourself up (that was the best part of my hotel) to finding out if there is any gaming happening in your Hotel with other groups. As someone who basically came on his own, finding and making friends is the toughest part of the convention. If you have friends who have come before, catch up to them, and try to at least sync your calendars. If you're on your lonesome, a lot of people are happy to answer questions and help you out in times of need. Respect boundaries, and just be genuinely chill.

No joking, if you're reading this, get on the groupme and don't be afraid to ask if anyone wants to play [literally any game, anywhere, any time[. You will probably get replies. I rolled up to GenCon one year not knowing a single person and after a Fiasco game and a wild Dungeon World evening, I consider getting to see some of these nerds the absolute highlight of my GenCon every year. And show up to games people announce, get in the annual Goon Fiasco Game, come to my yearly game, find us all in the JW halls playing whatever the gently caress game (poorly). It sounds like a sappy TV commercial but the amount of fun and friends you can make just by saying "Anyone still up?" can't be overstated.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I’m gonna queue up for first in the consignment shop this year instead of the vendor hall rush

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Fellis posted:

I’m gonna queue up for first in the consignment shop this year instead of the vendor hall rush

Same. Last year was the first time I realized what was actually going on in those rooms and I'm afraid for my wallet and gaming time this year.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

When and where can we expect to start seeing lists of cool poo poo coming out at GenCon?

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

WerrWaaa posted:

When and where can we expect to start seeing lists of cool poo poo coming out at GenCon?

There are usually some initial lists by April/May, and the big BGG list really comes together in June I think.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Druggeddwarf posted:

I do remember Sunday of Gen-Con 1997 being like "what...what is wrong with my legs...why is the other side of the Exhibit Hall so far away" and it was a hilarious and of course vaguely worrying feeling.

Druggeddwarf posted:

DRUGEDDWARF JOIN THE GROUPME AND INSTANTLY GAIN 30 FRIENDS well maybe 29, nobody likes Quarex

Also I am officially modifying my suggestion of the 5-2-1 rule based on further feedback, I will henceforth recommend the 10-4-16 rule.

Necronomicon posted:

So I got a 1:06 time slot this year, and managed to get a room three blocks from the convention center (in a hotel that's not even finished being built yet). Hooray! Although it isn't quite as good as last year when my group managed to get a hotel that was connected via skywalk and also literally across the street from the ICC.

Either way, maybe this is the year I finally hang out with Goons? I've been going to GenCon in Indianapolis every year since 03 but always with a group of friends who I've stuck pretty close to.
MAKE IT SO!! GET IT!!!!!>!! GET IT THAT IS THE LINE FORM TLSERHIGFsvxjnnm jlk

Also as we all say

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

No joking, if you're reading this, get on the groupme and don't be afraid to ask if anyone wants to play [literally any game, anywhere, any time[. You will probably get replies. I rolled up to GenCon one year not knowing a single person and after a Fiasco game and a wild Dungeon World evening, I consider getting to see some of these nerds the absolute highlight of my GenCon every year. And show up to games people announce, get in the annual Goon Fiasco Game, come to my yearly game, find us all in the JW halls playing whatever the gently caress game (poorly). It sounds like a sappy TV commercial but the amount of fun and friends you can make just by saying "Anyone still up?" can't be overstated.
The exact meaning of "anyone still up?" may change contextually but everything else NoMNoMNoM says here is exactly on point. I have been continually surprised by the Excellence of Goon on display at Gen-Con since I first met people in like 2014, or whichever year it was that Nesbit37 and I sat with one of my non-Goon friends at Colts Grille talking for an hour before realizing a table of like 20 Goons was literally 10 feet away behind a room divider.

GroupMe is basically a guaranteed friend/event generator from 7 A.M. until 2 A.M. every day of the convention (and even usually a day before).

Fellis posted:

WerrWaaa posted:

Same. Last year was the first time I realized what was actually going on in those rooms and I'm afraid for my wallet and gaming time this year.
Now I understand part of why you had a great time last year WerrWaaa.

And yes, barring the (admittedly common) circumstance where you are trying to snag the convention-exclusive thing in the Dealer Hall as soon as it opens, you will almost always be better-served by waiting in line for the Auction/Consignment Store since there are inevitably insanely cool things tossed in there for not much money at all.

WerrWaaa posted:

Does BoardGameGeek have that list still? You know the one? Let me check

Oh yes, they do have the list, but it has nothing on it for the year so far. Always seems pretty thorough from what little I know, so a good place to watch in the coming months certainly.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

quote:

Also I am officially modifying my suggestion of the 5-2-1 rule based on further feedback, I will henceforth recommend the 10-4-16 rule.

4-20-69 rule :cmon:

Dr. Quarex posted:

nobody likes Quarex

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yay, out of the hospital and ready for Gen Con! I think I mentioned it on the groupme but am thinking of doing a crowdsourced image archives project for gen con on https://www.best50yearsofgaming.com. I don't know I'll get it sup up in time for 2019 since I have a ton going on between now and then (fulfilling Bee Lives, getting the Bee Lives public launch at our Gen Con booth ready, designing a new game, writing an RPG book, and then for my day job we are moving to a new library on campus this summer). Super excited, as usual, and registering for Gary Con events this past week has just reminded me it is the start of 2019 con season!

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

Now I understand part of why you had a great time last year WerrWaaa.

Frequent drinking with childhood friends is also a big part of it. Let's be honest-- I probably won't make it to any goon gaming this year, because there are lots of people I need to spend time with, BUT IT'S NOT BECAUSE YOU'RE WEIRD STRANGERS FROM THE INTERNET. I like that about you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Just do what I did and get your nongoons to hang out with the goons.