Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
GenCon Event Recap:

SHOTS WEDNESDAY: Awesome as always. A table of Chaosium folks joined us for a bit. I got to talk to one of the designers of Runequest, which was rad.

ROOT RPG: Super fun! It's a powered-by-the-apocalypse game, my first even! We were all given Vagabonds, and created fuzzy mayhem in the forest.

Aliens RPG: Made by the folks who made Tales from the Loop and Coriolis. Was a fun game, smuggled out a facehugger in a jar!

Honey, I Shrunk The Adventurers!: Super fun! Moles is a great GM. Will pick this one up when it comes available for sure.

Corvus Belli Panel: Infinity will continue to be a fun game, Tohaa will continue to get no updates, Bostria is still a weird, weird dude.

Pugmire: Dungeons and Dragons, but actually dogs. We had a great GM, game was a lot of fun, I think I've seen everything I need to see re: Pugmire!

Choose Your Own Adventure: War with the Evil Power Master: The Evil Power Master will live on in my heart forever.

What I picked up:
2x Shadowrun 6ed books for friends who really wanted them (note: these are the two longest running SR gm's in our group, so I can probably make do with a pdf, assuming they ever migrate the 10+ pages of launch-day errata into the PDF version!)

Pathfinder 2 Core Book: I've never played Pathfinder. It seems like it must be a least kinda good to have that many people play it exclusively for a whole con!

The Expanse RPG: Current favorite show, it's in a good spot for an RPG to come out. I've got some ideas for something to run.

Robotech RPG: I'm a weirdo who likes Robotech and the Savage Worlds system.

Overall, a great GenCon was had. It was great to see all you nerds again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
Pugmire and Monarchies of Mau is pretty fun.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Dr. Quarex posted:

Also if you missed T.O.V.A. this year, you missed me apparently inspiring* Jim who always does the Charity Auction to ask me to be his partner next year, meaning I could easily be auctioneering for like five-six hours on Saturday next year, ensuring my untimely demise.

*This was not even a particularly good T.O.V.A. overall, considering the relative mundanity of so much of the stuff we sold, but certainly it was pretty enjoyable

Also this is the year that convinced me to finally pull the trigger on volunteering for the auction, so I may be up on the stage for something (writing or running, at least) next year, and maybe even at the same time as Quarex!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

OB_Juan posted:

Honey, I Shrunk The Adventurers!: Super fun! Moles is a great GM. Will pick this one up when it comes available for sure.

Thank you so much! Were you the goon that ended up with the signed deck? We'll be doing a Kickstarter in mid-september for Disposable Heroes, I'll make sure to yell about it in here.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Thank you so much! Were you the goon that ended up with the signed deck? We'll be doing a Kickstarter in mid-september for Disposable Heroes, I'll make sure to yell about it in here.

Yes! It was great!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Toshimo posted:

PLEASE MAKE TOVA WEIRD AGAIN
I know, right? The weirdest stuff was like half things I put in myself. I know they did a pass to pull out some duplicates and boring things (and actually valuable things) so next year I will look on Thursday to hunt for the most profoundly useful garbage

CaptainRat posted:

Also this is the year that convinced me to finally pull the trigger on volunteering for the auction, so I may be up on the stage for something (writing or running, at least) next year, and maybe even at the same time as Quarex!
Edit: This page did not load when I read the new posts??? Internetdotcom???

YES

EVERYONE JOIN THE AUCTION

Though I certainly admit volunteering changes your Gen-Con. I just gotta remember to go to the Exhibit Hall instead of lunch more often.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 8, 2019

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i am a selfish man

and volunteering would get in the way of just doing whatever the hell i want all day.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Some men just want to watch Quarex sell weird poo poo.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

:siren: Shots Wednesday Photos :siren:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/npaM8KaqmnoxaGbQ9

Hit me up if you'd like any of these taken down, I didn't scrutinize them for embarassing poo poo.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
did we ever get a final shots tower pic?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Backno posted:

did we ever get a final shots tower pic?

The tipped over one on the tray is the last before they bussed it

Pangaea Ultima
Sep 7, 2005

Fun Shoe
I had a really great first Gen Con. Against conventional wisdom I booked a bunch of events, and I ended up having the best time during these ticketed events. I was really interested in getting to actually PLAY some RPGs rather than running them, so I used this as a chance to try out some systems I've been curious about.

Star Trek Adventures: A generic hopeful was there and made adorable 3D printed comm badges for everyone and I felt like a total monster unseating him sliding in a few minutes late. The GM was a goon whose forums name I don't know, but he did a really good job introducing the system and running a solid one-shot. I've never played a 2 D20 game before, but the momentum/threat system is an interesting group currency. I'd like to try to find an online game.

V5: I've played a tiny amount of V20 and V:tR online, but this was my first proper Vampire game. I think the hunger dice mechanic is really cool, and as someone who is new to the system I think this feels like a much less daunting entry point. The GM was kind of a prick to start off with, the pre-gen characters (Malk especially) had some eyerolly edgelord backstory content, and 3 people were on their phones the entire loving game, so I was pretty worried it was going to be a rough 5 hours. But the people who were paying attention were fun and the GM just largely ignored the phone lookers, so I still had a good time.

Geist 2e: This was a really fun game! The GM had obviously put a lot into the one-shot, it was an interesting mystery that was superficial enough to be solved in a short period of time. I didn't know anything about Geist beforehand, but I think this system is super interesting, and maybe a little less nihilistic than the other World/Chronicles of Darkness settings? As with V5 above, I think it's pretty hard to get a feel for the "personal horror" aspect of these games in a one-shot because there's not much of a chance to resolve consequences or constraints for actions in a short setting. But this really felt like a game I could use to entice non-TTRPG people to the table, and I'm excited to try to get a home game going.

I think I didn't really make enough time to demo games in the exhibit hall, despite losing hours at a time wandering around and looming over other people demoing games. I did manage to blow through my budget pretty handily, though.

I'm already thinking about next year! I didn't really get to meet any of you all because I was commuting an hour between Indy and home. Next year I think I'm just going to commit fully to the con and hopefully I can meet more of you and imbibe regrettable Midwestern liquor.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Pangaea Ultima posted:

I had a really great first Gen Con. Against conventional wisdom I booked a bunch of events, and I ended up having the best time during these ticketed events.

I also concur that the conventional wisdom of "don't schedule much" is not always best.

You can have a lot of fun without ticketed events (and I did - primarily pick-up games with goons and people in the gencon discord) but i feel a lot of people who spout the conventional wisdom are coming to the con with a group who share their interests. If you're going solo, or you're picky in terms of what activities you do (I am), scheduling events is a must.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lord Of Texas posted:

I also concur that the conventional wisdom of "don't schedule much" is not always best.

You can have a lot of fun without ticketed events (and I did - primarily pick-up games with goons and people in the gencon discord) but i feel a lot of people who spout the conventional wisdom are coming to the con with a group who share their interests. If you're going solo, or you're picky in terms of what activities you do (I am), scheduling events is a must.

Agreeing with everything here. Last year was light scheduling and once the vendor hall closed it was me walking around with a friend wondering what's still open. This year was 8 games nearly back to back and it was mentally draining but really fun.

Edit: gen con scheduling is also kinda poo poo. If you book a free event, that slot is filled forever. You cant book overlapping events so if you want to cancel and do something else too bad. Also wishlisting reserves tickets, so f5ing grogs will snatch up everything for weeks instead of everything opening same day it seems

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The last few years I've just looked through the events and grabbed a ticket for whatever sounded interesting about an hour before it started, but my 'where ever the wind takes me" attitude for the con is definitely not for everyone.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Agreeing with everything here. Last year was light scheduling and once the vendor hall closed it was me walking around with a friend wondering what's still open. This year was 8 games nearly back to back and it was mentally draining but really fun.

Edit: gen con scheduling is also kinda poo poo. If you book a free event, that slot is filled forever. You cant book overlapping events so if you want to cancel and do something else too bad. Also wishlisting reserves tickets, so f5ing grogs will snatch up everything for weeks instead of everything opening same day it seems

I don't know if being able to book overlapping events would be a net positive for the community.

The problem of no-shows could get even worse, there are definitely some who would abuse that feature and leave lots of tickets bought but not used (especially since unused event tickets can be used as generics later on.)

There are situations where the no-overlap rule makes things tough (e.g. tournaments where you're eliminated in the first round - whoops, now you've got 3 unbooked hours!)

Tournament organizers can help alleviate that by using swiss pairings instead of single-elim (this is a change that the Spirit Island tournament made this year.)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Let me unbook events for no refund. I couldnt unbook FREE seminars

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The way I handle the issue is by keeping a physical note of events I'm interested in that day and a pocket full of Generics, and also the location of the GMs On Demand room, on me during the day. If I drop an event or something, its easy to get into a game of something somewhere generally speaking - I've been going for 6 years now and generics have gotten me into every game bar one so far. I dunno how typical that is, and its not a built in solution, but I def. understand why overlapping event booking isn't allowed on their end.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Let me unbook events for no refund. I couldnt unbook FREE seminars

That is one annoying problem that e-tickets should remedy. Unbooking events is locked sometime in June due to the mailing of event tickets.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lord Of Texas posted:

That is one annoying problem that e-tickets should remedy. Unbooking events is locked sometime in June due to the mailing of event tickets.

I wasnt able to unbook even in may. Didnt see the option and from what I've seen it isnt possible

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

You can do it, but it's pretty deeply buried and I don't know when the cutoff is.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Haystack posted:

You can do it, but it's pretty deeply buried and I don't know when the cutoff is.

I believe the cutoff is the same cutoff for electing to have your tickets/badge mailed, which this year was in mid-June. Unbooking before that cutoff is definitely possible and I've done it several times over the years, including this year.

Regardless it is a lovely system and we all pray for e-tickets to be released in a timely fashion.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Lord Of Texas posted:

I don't know if being able to book overlapping events would be a net positive for the community.

The problem of no-shows could get even worse, there are definitely some who would abuse that feature and leave lots of tickets bought but not used (especially since unused event tickets can be used as generics later on.)

Gary Con use to allow you to overbook and it was terrible. I mean, great for people who want to make sure they get tickets to things, but then people don't return the other tickets and there were tons of sold out games that had few to no players show up.

FYI, any event at Gen Con in the system as a tournament you can overbook. They do that because they know you might be eliminated early, so they don't want you to block out your entire day for a 12 hour tournament when you could get knocked out in the first hour.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

nesbit37 posted:

FYI, any event at Gen Con in the system as a tournament you can overbook. They do that because they know you might be eliminated early, so they don't want you to block out your entire day for a 12 hour tournament when you could get knocked out in the first hour.

That's good to know, I incorrectly assumed that tournaments behaved the same as other events. Thanks!

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Have they said if they're working on eTickets or anything?

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Agrias120 posted:

Have they said if they're working on eTickets or anything?

They've been testing them both last year and this year, I believe with True Dungeon. I don't think they have a mass rollout date yet.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I talked to a Gen Con staffer in Lucas Oil this year about how the con was going and they said they plan next year to have ~75% of all tickets be e-tickets. This was just a casual conversation so I would take it with a grain of salt, but they definitely want to move that way.

The only real issue I have with e-tickets is trading them, since it isn't as easy to do. I mean, I have never traded tickets with randos but I have with people within my own group.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

nesbit37 posted:

I talked to a Gen Con staffer in Lucas Oil this year about how the con was going and they said they plan next year to have ~75% of all tickets be e-tickets. This was just a casual conversation so I would take it with a grain of salt, but they definitely want to move that way.

The only real issue I have with e-tickets is trading them, since it isn't as easy to do. I mean, I have never traded tickets with randos but I have with people within my own group.

Reliable wi-fi is a huge blocker for e-tickets that seems to have been removed this year. Of course, there are events in adjoining hotels which aren't covered by the free wi-fi.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

When I was in the will call line, the staffer said they’ve been testing them with select events but until those can run smoothly enough, they’re not going to make the big leap to everything.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lord Of Texas posted:

I would never dream of telling anyone how to have a good time, other than saying you are missing out if you schedule an event for Saturday that ends after 3:30

... but part of why I do not do events is because I got sick of being pressured into gaming with my friends at the convention when we already did that the rest of the year, so in that sense having a group is I suppose a reason I avoid events but probably not for the reasons others might, haha

As it happens, I now basically never game at all and should totally be open to scheduling events again for that reason, but man, just between being at the Auction for the sections I wanted to WATCH, which this year also happened to be the events I was working, left me with no free time past going to dinner with friends and one Goon lunch.

I spent a total of four hours in the hall across three days, as opposed to the four hours a day I used to favor to make sure I saw everything. I have no idea how any of you do this successfully honestly, tell me your secrets grass

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I go every year with four or five other guys and we use tickets for demos and stuff but we just play games in the hotel together or with random people in that general area.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Gen Con is just brutal in general. Since becoming an exhibitor it feels like I have to learn the game all over again. Before then, my secret was to fill every second of the day and night I could with events I was really excited about, and then day of pick and choose which I want to go to and return the rest of the tickets. I always left a nice chunk of Thursday early for my first speed run of the exhibit hall, and tried to do a second slower one for things I wanted to double back on for Friday afternoons. Only other thing I kept open was Friday nights for the collectibles section of the auction. All of this worked for me because my body is under so much stress during Gen Con I could usually not get more than 4 hours of sleep a night, no matter when I went to bed, how tired I was, or how much I had to drink. I have never missed an 8am Sunday event because of this.

Other things I use to make sure I always do if I can is take a high level painting class (when they are available, they are not always), and hit the consignment store up at least 1 time.

Exhibiting now it's just so much more difficult. I really need to do a schedule or something next year for the booth. I was stuck in it far more than I wanted, and I was planning on being there a lot. Biggest issue, though, was after exhibit hall hours. By the time we got out of the hall by about 6:30, we would have to head to the hotel to drop stuff off and then go eat. By the time dinner was done we were all just wiped and had no energy for anything more involved than sitting on a bed in the hotel room. Not even any game playing, which was kind of sad. I need to find a new way to Gen Con if I am going to keep this way up.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

nesbit37 posted:

Exhibiting now it's just so much more difficult. I really need to do a schedule or something next year for the booth. I was stuck in it far more than I wanted, and I was planning on being there a lot. Biggest issue, though, was after exhibit hall hours. By the time we got out of the hall by about 6:30, we would have to head to the hotel to drop stuff off and then go eat. By the time dinner was done we were all just wiped and had no energy for anything more involved than sitting on a bed in the hotel room. Not even any game playing, which was kind of sad. I need to find a new way to Gen Con if I am going to keep this way up.

This was my experience almost exactly. The one day I got off early and tried to have the energy to make it to the JW I gave up half way there.

It didn't help that my hotel had no real lobby to hang out at when I got back to the hotel to relax afterwards. Hopefully next year I'll have a better hotel and can hang out with people there rather than just crashing in my room immediately.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I got engaged this year at gen con so that's nice http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2019/08/panel-discussion/rppr-live-at-gen-con-2019/

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

poo poo and I thought getting D'Amato in tearaway pants and a wrestling doublet counted for shock moments. Congrats!

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009
I need to hang out with you folks. Gen Con is a lot of fun, but I've fallen into the routine of running demos during the day, working the booth in the vendor hall, and then just drinking at night. I mean, not a bad routine, but need to shake things up a bit. This year kind of sucked because the company got stuck out at one of the airport hotels.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I generally show up before noon every day, hit up a food truck for lunch, then wander the vendor hall demoing anything that looks interesting, and noting things I want to buy that look heavy enough not to snag on the spot. I'll grab those on my way out the door, and we'll drive to a brewpub somewhere outside of the downtown area for dinner and drinks, and then meet back up at the house for a few games before heading to bed after midnight.

Rinse, repeat.

The only times I've ever bought tickets were for mini war gaming tournaments which I refuse to participate in anymore, and generics which I never end up spending. The hassle of hunting for events and playing with the website to schedule one in advance is enough to turn me away. The vendor hall is pretty much all I ever do.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Reynold posted:

The only times I've ever bought tickets were for mini war gaming tournaments which I refuse to participate in anymore, and generics which I never end up spending. The hassle of hunting for events and playing with the website to schedule one in advance is enough to turn me away. The vendor hall is pretty much all I ever do.

More evidence that there are many ways to enjoy GenCon. I can't stand the vendor hall - the crowd, noise, and general dehumanization is not worth the off chance that I actually get into a demo, and even then, the types of games I typically like enough to fight for a demo are not very numerous.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I don't spend too much time at the vendor hall but it is nice to just, see things I might not have found out about otherwise. Plus I tend to go find the booth with old rpg books at buy one get two free and just get some dumb new old tabletop property I might never have heard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Thursday seems like clutch vendor day, when it's still quiet. When I went in 2014, it seemed nearly deserted for a couple hours after opening Thursday. I got to demo Murano with the designer. I do feel like the Mayfair area was a calming influence.