Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Perpetual Time Slot Complainer Nemesis of Moles here to announce this was the year I finally got a reasonable slot and I'll be staying in the JW, as is my birthright

EDIT: Toppers Pizza delivers to the downtown hotels and does some really wacky loving pizzas that are also pretty good. I wouldn't recommend eating a tater tot topped pizza covered in cheese whizz but hey its a vacation gently caress it eat like hogs. People liked their buffalo bacon pizza last year at the Fiasco game.

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

GenCon Tent City, I'm in.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Pez posted:

Maybe this will be the year I show up for drinks on Wed. I did brave talking to GOONS at the JW ballroom last year for a pickup DnD game. Thankfully I don't have to worry about a room I have a friend rich dumb adventurous enough to get VIG every year so we're set at the Marriott I believe

Was this my Dungeon World game by chance? Swing by again, we'll have another one!

My yearly Goon Game this go around might be a sorta playtest of a game my wife is making which is kind of specifically being designed with the round robin high-lethal hijinks we do at GenCon, so look forward to that.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Druggeddwarf posted:

Oh OH OH other than the usual 5-2-1 rule, DEFINITELY check your hotel for activites and happenings, from the free Pool you can use in the morning to wake yourself up (that was the best part of my hotel) to finding out if there is any gaming happening in your Hotel with other groups. As someone who basically came on his own, finding and making friends is the toughest part of the convention. If you have friends who have come before, catch up to them, and try to at least sync your calendars. If you're on your lonesome, a lot of people are happy to answer questions and help you out in times of need. Respect boundaries, and just be genuinely chill.

No joking, if you're reading this, get on the groupme and don't be afraid to ask if anyone wants to play [literally any game, anywhere, any time[. You will probably get replies. I rolled up to GenCon one year not knowing a single person and after a Fiasco game and a wild Dungeon World evening, I consider getting to see some of these nerds the absolute highlight of my GenCon every year. And show up to games people announce, get in the annual Goon Fiasco Game, come to my yearly game, find us all in the JW halls playing whatever the gently caress game (poorly). It sounds like a sappy TV commercial but the amount of fun and friends you can make just by saying "Anyone still up?" can't be overstated.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I really hope they release an actual statement about Zak. I can't really afford to skip on the badge I bought but I'll be cancelling the events I had planned and sticking to running goon stuff outside of the con most likely if they don't.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Plenty of other orgs have been comfortable publishing their intent to no longer work with Zak, so I don't buy the legal angle, and if that is their thing it's cowardly and doesn't mesh with LoTFP saying he'll be there.

Yeah it's Zak S. Mandy Morbid wrote a post about how he abused her and pretended to be her online (all those posts from her about how good he is that read suspiciously like his writing? It were him) and the floodgates kinda opened this week. GenCon released a non-statement about it

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I think its a valuable part of any anti-harassment policy to make it clear if people are gonna be safe attending somewhere, and I don't really see the value in keeping it a secret, that kinda defeats the purpose imo.

The last public statement on the Demon City KS says Zak will be there - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1070557469/demon-city-the-ultimate-horror-rpg/posts/2406267 apparently later backer only posts say the project will go ahead but Zak isn't getting any more work but doesn't, as far as I know cause I didn't back it, mention him being there or not, so I'm gonna assume he will be till shown otherwise.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

"" posted:

Zak and myself both plan on attending Gen Con 2019, hanging out with James Raggi (creator of Lamentations of the Flame Princess) and Jacob Hurst (author of Hot Spring Island) at the LotFP booth. Please stop by and say hello if you plan to attend Gen Con this year!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Came to post that, glad they did the right thing and I can keep coming seeing all you dweebs for many GenCons to come

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'm gonna run a kinda Honey I Shrunk The Kids game (in Dungeon world, well, the Dungeon World-based card hack I'm making) and then a Gumball 3000 style Running Man inspired game for Goons probably on Saturday. Otherwise I'll probably hit up GM on Demand and try to play some game with drunk goons for 4 and a half hours before going to bed. GenCon babbey

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Is there a room share thread or anything like that? Because I feel a bit behind the 8 ball on this as I don't have a room as I wasn't planning on attending Gen Con seriously until Crit Role announced their live game there. I got my ticket to that now, and was hoping to sleep on someone's floor and enjoy the entire weekend, instead of trying to get a flight in, and then flight out after the game some time.

Thanks to Quarex for the OP as it was actually super interesting to read, as this would be my first Gen Con as well. ( Slash first time in Indianapolis :v: )

Asking in the groupme might yield results

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I had a friend who came a few years and constantly asked if we should go catch a film at the local theater which just seemed like the most enormous waste of GenCon time ever.

Personally I've mostly been lucky with games. One or two groggy dweebs and events where the host skipped out. I did a demo of the Orcs Must Die game last(?) year that was kinda meh given that the guy running it had no interest in running it at all but even that ended up being fun thanks to the group playing it.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I remember you all being so excited for that, dreams of Goon Fuckery dashed upon the rock of Serious Business

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

My friend who came last year mentioned that they were propositioned by some half dressed nerds holding balloons outside of a hotel room, one of them turned to him and said "Your turn?" and pointed toward a half closed door. He ran along cause we were all playing Sigrada but if we run into it again this year I'll let you know Nesbit

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

I understand the impulse on some level, ... well, not to constantly ask, but if there is actually something right up everyone's alley that none of your gang has seen and it is already out by the week of the show, I feel like there are definitely worse things to do on Wednesday. Well... maybe not now that we have Shot Wednesday for the drinkies. But I feel like we saw Ant-Man at Gen-Con 2015 because half of us had not seen it yet and that was ... fun???

Sure a Wednesday, maybe. But a Friday? Or, god forbid, a Saturday??

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

My entire crew would probably be mad down for Cultist Strangelove larp for real

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Maigius posted:

I know last year the Sunday eight-player Fiasco game had Toppers delivered to one of the JW ballrooms

God bless my partner for putting up with that.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

My event is up!

https://www.gencon.com/events/152695?fbclid=IwAR1e2RkdrR6d9rDYiywAigBPTIJqL--eASHEf70ruYymaT-gXxbfrB09hoI

As usual I'll probably end up running a private game of this for goons only sometime. It's also a demo of the new game I'll be Kickstarting shortly after GenCon that was almost entirely designed for the wacky high-lethality mode we play when I run games for ya'll.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

nesbit37 posted:

If anyone finds something cool to do that is not a run of the mill event and takes place 8pm or later any night let me know. I don't know if I'll have any game time left in me for the evenings but I want to try damnit.

Our Goon round robin game is usually a lil later in the evening!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

For me the most bang/buck event is GM on Demand. 2-4 hour TTRPGs in a bunch of indie systems run by some really cool GMs, often the designers themselves. Cheap, easy to get into. I dig it a lot

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Can we just hire you to GM stuff all weekend? MoleCon gogogo!

I'm always down to hang out and run/play stuff, just reach out on the GroupMe and we can set stuff up!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

never stand in a line at gencon

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I got 510 and actually got some events for the first time since I started going!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Lots of events are gonna be open forever, right up until they run - the GM On Demand space is a great place to play new TTRPGs, the Hot Game Room is a ticketed room to play board games and also if you just roll up to a game with some generics its like a 98% chance you'll get in.

GenCon rules. Welcome! Hope to see you at the JW one night!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Oops lmao

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

lol at you losers walking around on your feet and not alternating between being carried by throngs of adoring fans or skittering around the halls on all fours, scaling the walls with your hooked claw-hands and snatching Fantasy Flight launch titles from the hands of unsuspecting con-goers

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Jon Gilmour at Pandasauras has said he has some open spaces for pitches as recently as Monday, so you might wanna make sure you go say hi. Jon's good people

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

It's GenCon y'all

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

LuiCypher posted:

Better yet, leave them outside the Chick-Fil-A on Sunday.

Love you all. Thanks for the games, and the 2am depression chats. See you all next year <3

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

OB_Juan posted:

Honey, I Shrunk The Adventurers!: Super fun! Moles is a great GM. Will pick this one up when it comes available for sure.

Thank you so much! Were you the goon that ended up with the signed deck? We'll be doing a Kickstarter in mid-september for Disposable Heroes, I'll make sure to yell about it in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The way I handle the issue is by keeping a physical note of events I'm interested in that day and a pocket full of Generics, and also the location of the GMs On Demand room, on me during the day. If I drop an event or something, its easy to get into a game of something somewhere generally speaking - I've been going for 6 years now and generics have gotten me into every game bar one so far. I dunno how typical that is, and its not a built in solution, but I def. understand why overlapping event booking isn't allowed on their end.