Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
GEN CON!!!

I lucked out on the lottery this year - 12:26 PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
What the gently caress, man? By 12:26, everything was already booked! I ended up at the Courtyard (back of the JW). Unreal.

EDIT: False alarm. The portal was just not showing me all the options. That's weird. In the Westin now.

Ilor fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 27, 2019

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Double Agent posted:

I got a room at the JW, but it looks like all of the rooms with 2 beds were already gone.
Yeah, king+sofa was all that was available for me too.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Backno posted:

As long as you keep Loughmiller's off that list. While it's gotten more busy than it used to be, it's still surprisingly dead for large chunks of the day. It's our little Goon secret.
^^^^ This.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Having spent most of my life in the Midwest, I'm going to make the following assertion: Indiana is, in fact, a part of the South.
And Ohio is, in fact, part of hell.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
No Piggly Wiggly in Michigan. Nor Waffle House either. Thank the gods.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Fellis posted:

No waffle house?! How are you gonna know if the weather is bad enough for waffle house to be closed?!!
It's Michigan; the weather is always bad. We don't need no stinkin' Waffle House to tell us that. :colbert:

EDIT: I went to Origins one year and stayed at some dive Red Roof Inn or some poo poo on the outskirts of Columbus. It shared a parking lot with a Waffle House, and since I didn't get back to my hotel until like 3 AM and it was still open, I thought "why not?" It is (to date) the only Waffle House I've been in that had its own armed guard. :stare:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

SolusLunes posted:

Mio is somewhere in bumfuck northern Michigan.
If you ask a Michigander, they'll show you the palm of their right hand, point to the spot where the first joint of their index finger would extend across to their middle finger, and say "Mio is here."

Because that's how we roll. :colbert:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Double Agent posted:

Mio is still in the middle of nowhere though.
True.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

SolusLunes posted:

also it supremely embitters me now that I live in wisconsin that wisconsin has the gall to call itself the mitten state
What the gently caress? Have they never looked at a goddamn map? That skinny poo poo that sticks out around Green Bay ain't no thumb, and anyone who says or implies otherwise can fight me.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

nesbit37 posted:

Wisconsin looks way more like a hand than Michigan does. If you truly want to look like a mitten then give us back the UP. *opinion of a native wisconsinite*
The UP was never yours to start with. Besides, it was our consolation prize for losing a war with Ohio over Toldeo. :cripes: So yeah, the UP is ours, we won (lost?) it fair and square.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
True Dungeon was definitely in the "not worth the money" camp for me. My wife loves it, but I was kinda "meh."

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
My wife and I mistakenly ended up in a D20 Star Wars game (we were looking for an FFG one and...missed) one year that was awful. We excused ourselves about 45 minutes in because we both knew that doing virtually anything else (to include "nothing" or "sleep") would be a better expenditure of our time.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I have had the opposite experience with tournament games, but I'm pretty choosy. The missus and I had a blast in the Pandemic tournament last year (almost won, too), and the "Friday Night Firefight" Infinity Tournament is always a good time. But neither is frequented by WAAC try-hards, so that's probably the bulk of the reason for my overall positive experiences.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Dr. Quarex posted:

(also a good time to remind myself that thanks to Lollapalooza I once saw a show co-headlined by Devo and Tool which was clearly a twofer of more interest to me than just about anyone else in the audience)
The one I went to was headed up by Soundgarden, Ministry, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. No joke, probably the best concert I've ever attended.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I really enjoyed Anita Sarkeesian's panel/interview last year. And the Infinity presentation is always good for a chuckle or two.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I mean, if you want to avoid the hangover you can just take turns downing shots of chocolate milk until you puke.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

ZachAttack posted:

Yes, and the correct term for the group is a 'failure'.
And if the drinking has been heavy enough, it becomes a 'failure cascade.' :vomarine:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Ugh, the PAXU model is the loving worst. As of this coming Sunday, for GenCon I will know a) what events I am playing, b) when those events are scheduled, c) the building+room+table at which they are taking place, and d) that I am guaranteed a spot in said game - almost three months before the actual convention. At PAXU, I could stand in a line for three hours and know none of those things. gently caress that. The board games library was rad and well run, but everything else was a colossal poo poo-show.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Lines aren't egalitarian either, because I can and will pay some homeless guy to stand in one for me before I'd go to PAXU again.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Yoda posted:

Someone explain to me this magical GroupMe?
It's Goon poo poo-posting and memes delivered directly to your phone in real-time! It is the best!

It's essentially a group chat/text program that makes it super easy to tag up with people at big events. And if you're in the middle of something, it supports muting such that Quarex won't utterly destroy your phone's battery gushing about random crap that's up for auction all the time. (Quarex...) It is awesome and you should get it.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Nesbit wrote and published an adorable game about bees which I am looking forward to buying this year. He is the bee man.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

OgreNoah posted:

I live in Ypsilanti so if you're in town this year I can show you around!
Wait, WTF? I live in Ann Arbor and work in Ypsi. Why the hell are we not Gooning it up?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Bottom Liner posted:

Quarex gets even hotter
Not possible. The surface of the sun looks upon Quarex with envy.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Necronomicon posted:

I just got some fresh new kicks last week so I'm good to go on that front.
Rookie mistake, home-slice. You want a pair of shoes that is well broken-in. Walking umpty-bajillion miles back and forth for four days straight in new shoes is likely a hot ticket to blister-town.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

...and snatching Fantasy Flight launch titles from the hands of unsuspecting con-goers
...with your prehensile tongue.

:getin:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I lived through a Cthulhu game, WTF?!?

But I died in Red Markets. That game was the unexpected stand-out highlight for me this year.

Also, after years of hemming and hawing and making lame excuses, I finally got out to SHOTS WEDNESDAY this year. It was great to finally meet Backno (who hipped us to Loughmillar's lo those many years ago), hang with Dr. Quarex again, and talk games with Lloyd (sorry, man, I didn't catch your goon name). I see now why it is rapidly becoming tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Sionak posted:

Yeah, Red Markets is great and has been getting some continuing support in the form of supplements. I was stoked at the IDGN booth to discover you got a poster when picking up Red Markets stuff.

It makes a great con game since - as noted above - the combat is difficult and lethal, and the mechanics are relatively simple.
Hilariously, it wasn't combat that finally did me in; no, what finally put the nail on my proverbial coffin was a critical failure on my Persuasion roll to convince the other members of my Crew that I hadn't broken the terms of our contract and tried to screw them all for my own selfish gain. Again. Which I very much had. Their decision to execute me was absolutely the right one - and a very thematic one as well!