Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I got a hotel and my tickets, then put in vacation for the whole week.

Some other rear end in a top hat already put in that week and due to my work being dysfunctional to the point of excess, there's very little chance of two people going on vacation the same week.

So I'm just going to run my chip route to the bone the previous week and Mon-Wed, taking our 2.5 hour drive with plenty of time to hit Shots Wednesday. If i have to find someone to pay to run back stock, I'll do it.

This'll be my third time and like hell I'm missing a year already!

theironjef posted:

First of all, put Kuma's Corner (https://kumascorner.com/location/kumas-indy/) on that motherfuckin' food list right now. I know it's all the way out in Fountain Square, but so's my AirBnB so there you go.

Second, System Mastery gonna be there again, if anyone in here cares. We'll be running two recording live shows (System Mastery and Expounded Universe) and also a new thing, Quiztem Mastery, which is going to be a live-only panel style quiz show with guests from other podcasts. Basically Big Fat Quiz but RPG/Game themed. Probably run a few games too, haven't decided yet.

Why aren't you making James shell out for a sweet hotel room??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

theironjef posted:

I blame his rapid acquisition of dozens of tiny startup podcasts, now he can't afford to offer hotel coverage to the network because there's like 30 people in it. Whatever, our Airbnb was rad as gently caress last year and it's the same folks. Booze, easy walk to Kuma's, Lyft ride takes like five minutes.

Also everyone in the whole got-drat network got lottery numbers above 3 pm. He had to beg listeners for a better slot. Meanwhile we were slotted in (at 250 for the whole stay) like a month ago.

I considered Airbnb but it worries me, booking a room at someone's house seven months in advance. All kinds of things could go wrong and then I'd be stuck 30 minutes away or having to pay an extra premium.

Instead I'm going to have to worry about how work will be loving me this year.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

This certainly sounds like more fun than I have had at more than a few concerts I have attended, so consider me now the world's biggest Violent Femmes fan.

That is just as punk rock as the time I saw people adding milk to their cold brew coffee at a TUnE-yArDs show

O.K. so

As I mentioned in the GroupMe, I bought Something Awful Forums Archives Access(tm), entirely so I could go look at the Gen-Con threads before 2014 and be delighted by what I found.

Firstly I was delighted to find I actually made the 2013 thread even though I thought 2014 was my first, but anyway.

The 2009 thread was less than two full pages long. Gen-Con was already over by the time the 20th post was made. Though thanks for being the first to make a thread, ClockworkJoe! I apologize for the shade I threw your way when making my first thread, as I realize now the Traditional Games subforum was less than a year old when you did your duty and things were different!

Anyway. In those 1.7 pages there was a story about a guy taking off his underwear and leading a kilted pub crawl and feeling someone up (consensually at least), a back-and-forth hoping Mikan would attend, and then most of the posts were about whether the new edition of Hackmaster was any good (it was and/or was not) and whether this new "Pathfinder" game was worth picking up. Haha. Hahahaha. And so died the subforum

Already excited about 2010, as there are actually two Gen-Con threads and the EARLIER one starts "so GenCon is next week" ahahahhaha

Bruh you gotta give links for those of us too lazy or drunk to go searching.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The arcade is very much not worth it either. Half the machines were broken, and the entire time I was there some kid that had to be the person in charge's kid hogged the VR computer which I've always wanted to try :argh:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is this Zak S.? Is he finally facing some consequences for being an overall awful person?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sounds like a good opportunity for hundreds of people to ask everyone at the booth why they're partnering with a known serial harasser.

Just make sure you hide your name.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

WerrWaaa posted:

Having been born and raised in Indiana I can confirm this.

Seconded, much as I hate it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I used to go to Columbus every year for a Warhammer Fantasy tournament. Five hour drive from southern Indiana, which wasn't the worst part. The worst part was getting to Cincinnati and realizing you have another hour and a half to two hours to go.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

All the Waffle Houses were run out of town in my area decades ago and I don't know why. I'd love to sometimes get a big greasy breakfast for under $10 with all the garbage I want thrown in.

A Waffle House desert.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

I bring terrible news of Johnny Rockets' closure at the Circle Center Mall

I swear restaurants close more often in Indianapolis than anywhere else I have frequently visited.

I would type here "if [RESTAURANT] closes I riot" but honestly I am not sure that I even have any places I am remotely loyal to left. Sure I love Steak 'n' Shake, but I live in the Midwest again and can get that anywhere

Maybe I will riot if Bee Coffee Roasters or Harry 'n' Izzy's closes. Yes, that sounds right, gonna run with this

Nothing can get as bad as that Indian place closing. First year at Gencon and I got to eat there, then never again.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Some of the local X-wing players play at Gencon. I can't imagine spending so long over three days to play one game when there is so much other stuff.

I'm sure I've mentioned it before but the last two years I've spent a ton of money on board games that I've never even played. This year I'm just going hogwild on RPGs, old and new. At least I can read them if my group never players them.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I can vouch for Shots Wednesday. I showed up with my girlfriend and didn't say anything until the shots started coming. Then I kept running into goons in the halls and even played some board games.

Join the GroupMe, you'll get constant updates of stupid poo poo and also where goons are congregating.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

And the running tally of utilikilts.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Gonna have some tough decisions to make.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Haystack posted:

So, are there any panels or the like that you all are pumped about?

Number one on my list, every year; Campaign Podcast Live and System Mastery Live.

And also any secondary panels run by those groups.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

OB_Juan posted:

Oh! If you are in the groupme, and have met people at Shots Wednesday, its easier to keep up with whatever the cool game is for this year, and where you can get a game in.

Like last year: SO MUCH ROOT!

I'm posting in the GroupMe RIGHT NOW and I still recognize all these names. All you gotta do is ask if anything is going on, or ask if people want to play whatever you've got on hand. Someone will heed the call.

Edit: I found this in the GroupMe gallery. I don't know if this is you, Dr., as I haven't seen you at the one Shots Wednesday I've been to.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 11, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

CaptainRat posted:

I think this might be the year Quarex and I break from whatever we're doing during our Gen Con pilgrimage and actually go to Shots Wednesday; every year I feel like something else has come up although I don't remember what it ever is.

Certainly not your liver enzymes.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I met a British guy named I think, Lloyd, at shots Wednesday. He's Drugged Dwarf here. He bought my girlfriend and I drinks so I bought his teetotaller rear end an orange juice and we had a long winded handshake contest.

We're basically best friends and I'll be really embarrassed if I got his name wrong.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Deviant posted:

I am formally declaring
Shots Wednesday

to begin at 6pm Wednesday at The Rathskeller

http://www.rathskeller.com/

Be there and be square. They close at 10, so we're starting early.

It is an uber, not a walk. We will sit in the outdoor beer garden, because it does not require a reservation or hard numbers, as is tradition.

There is an outdoor entrance to the beer garden, you don't have to walk through the likely very crowded restaurant to get there.

Have they always closed at 10?

Edit: It still amuses me that the German beer garden serves "French Asiago" pizzas.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 14, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

FFG usually has a line. Nothing that won't be available within a couple of months anyway.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

WerrWaaa posted:

I've waited in line for the bathroom and I would do that again.

I did this once. My eyes wandered around as I got bored.

I caught an eye full of overgrown pubes between the giant gaps in the stalls.

Never again.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sloober posted:

it's got an arcade!

A shameful arcade.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

8one6 posted:

After the year I forgot my badge at home I will call every time.

Is it too early to start packing for Gen Con?

The first two years we got our badges at Will Call. First year was Thursday morning, maybe a 2 minute wait. Last year, Wednesday night and at least a half hour wait. We're trying the mail option this year and between the two of us, hopefully, we don't forget. I still have to break the news to my boss that I'm taking that Thursday and Friday off, since someone else already requested the week.

Also, guess the location!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Deviant posted:

this shots wednesday video game sucks

It has iNdiE cHaRm.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

There is always at least one vendor in the hall that has stacks of old books for fairly cheap. I browsed last year but this time I'm definitely buying something.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/gencon/comments/cb5f61/i70_going_from_airport_to_downtown_will_be_closed/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

quote:

Local native here and just saw this come across my work desk. Notice says that it will be all lanes shut down. It's not terribly far from the airport to convention center, but definitely add in some travel time if you're making that drive either from a plane ride, or if you're a local.

TLDR: INDOT will close all lanes of I-70 EB and WB from I-465 to the South Split on July 26 at 9 p.m. The closure will last for 9 days and all lanes will reopen on Monday, August 5 by 6 a.m.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Deviant posted:

so, since someone asked, let me remind you all the deets on

:siren: shots motherfucking wednesday :siren:

Wed July 31, we're all gonna go down to the Rathskeller in Indianapolis and drink our faces off. They have an outdoor garden that can accomodate a failure of goons, the beers are huge and the food is good.

https://www.rathskeller.com/

This is not a walkable distance. Share an Uber or something, I'm not your mother.
(1.2 miles per google. Might be walkable if you're the type that does those things.)

Time: July 31st, 6pm - whenever they boot us out or we get bored

Be there and be square!

It really is a sight to behold.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Last year we took up probably a quarter of the tables nearest the bar. This year is starting to sound even bigger.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ilor posted:

Rookie mistake, home-slice. You want a pair of shoes that is well broken-in. Walking umpty-bajillion miles back and forth for four days straight in new shoes is likely a hot ticket to blister-town.

Bring multiple pairs if you have them. Last year I started in some sneakers and god blisters so I switched to these boat shoes that I love and they felt much better.

My feet are kinda hosed up though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Frozen Peach posted:

Made it to the convention center. This place is massive

There is more stuff at the stadium across the street.

And most of the surrounding hotels.

And you haven't seen the Vendor Hall yet.

Take it all in.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ZachAttack brought this to the GroupMe's attention and now everyone else has to know also.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

We're Doomed is legit and made me break my rule of only RPGs this year.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is it 2020 yet

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Welcome to my new blog, GenCon360, wherein your receive daily tips to prepare for GenCon 2020.

Today's Tips: Don't just park somewhere and leave your car there unless you want 7+ tickets.

Bring extra underwear if you're a man child, so you can leave your sharted in pair on the floor of a bathroom.

These tips brought to you by 2019 Gencon visitors.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

I didn’t get a single picture of passed out nerds all weekend what the gently caress goons

Should've paid more attention to the GroupMe. :colbert:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Fellis posted:

Did they widen the lanes slightly in the Vendor hall? It was crowded Saturday but it also wasn’t shoulder to shoulder press of humanity like it typically is.

I didn’t go into the vendor hall till Saturday, and I made a list of the booths I wanted to visit so I had a plan. Unless you want new releases or an indie publisher, the consignment shop/auction seems to be the place to get good deals

I could swear it was smaller. Probably all the people that stop in the middle to gawk at stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

This is now the 2020 count down thread.