Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
GEN CON

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
housing reg is a massacre this year

its like 12:30 reg time or gently caress you no skywalk

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a solution to this without bending the laws of space and time.

I feel like there's something they could do to change the distribution of people to the times or something. Following this on the Fans of Gencon facebook page where a VIG is providing updates feels like watching a cow dipped into a bath of piranhas

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Toshimo posted:

I don't get where you are going. There are a finite amount of rooms and clearly many more people want them. Unless you are suggesting that they hold out rooms and dole them out so that some people who get earlier times get worse rooms,

The time crunch is very stressful and makes it hard to plan and adapt to the changing conditions. instead of like:

20 people get 12:00
20 people get 12:01

what if it was 5 additional people per minute (obviously i don't know the actual numbers) I feel like the whole experience would be less stressful and not as prone to error. Unless you are the booker for your group or have been lucky to get a good timeslot, it's very likely that you are seeing a non-intuitive booking site for the first time

It's very minor, but I think people would much prefer it to the free-for-all we have now

quote:

then there's not much to be done unless GenCon buys up the minor league stadium next door and levels it to build more hotels.

:yeah:

e: I mean we are approaching hour 2 and almost everything downtown is sold out. Why even bother giving people reg times of 3pm or later? Just send em an email that says "go gently caress yourself"

Fellis fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 27, 2019

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

2:11pm all downtown gone

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I’m gonna queue up for first in the consignment shop this year instead of the vendor hall rush

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

quote:

Also I am officially modifying my suggestion of the 5-2-1 rule based on further feedback, I will henceforth recommend the 10-4-16 rule.

4-20-69 rule :cmon:

Dr. Quarex posted:

nobody likes Quarex

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

The other big goon thing is watching TOVA and the beginning of the charity auction which everyone should be doing saturday afternoon because it is usually worth the price of admission (price varies depending on how long you hold your auction number up with your eyes closed)

E:

Dr. Quarex posted:

I think the "1" referred to there being only room for one person in my heart, and it is you, Fellis

I forgot to mention, great thread title again!

Fellis fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 1, 2019

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

How do you play dnd in competition? Is it per party with fixed characters?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

omg T.O.V.A. is pictured on the "About" page and therefore so am I woooooooo though I look so sad :( probably because Nathaniel was on the mic :( It is fine I understand he is a fine auctioneer I was just disappointed because he did not follow the process and sign up

You’re sad looking because I’m standing in front of you staring at the display cases instead of basking in your skeletony prominence

Also I think the most nerds I ever saw cheer for a tabletop moment is only like 20 or so people who were spectating a particularly nasty jump I put in a PitchCar track at a small convention, and someone made it on the first

Are we going to organize any group viewing night of Hobocon or anything else? I would also nominate The Gamers as a nerd-pandering mockable media. Rabb.it is really good for that stuff, lightweight and browser based.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Doublepost to say this is an excellent click, local artists making pothole memes is pretty great

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

Gotta go down some scotcheroos and Faygo to re-Midwesternize my mind after this page

I was gonna say “sure only if you get it at piggly wiggly”, but when I googled to confirm that’s a midwestern brand, I found it’s actually a southern brand, just also wisconsin and illinois. Strange

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

No waffle house?! How are you gonna know if the weather is bad enough for waffle house to be closed?!!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I will be there!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

"A heavily worn copy of Star Trek IV on Laserdisc, missing Kirk and four whales

Start me at ... 37¢"

two stubborn collectors take it up to $500, the auction is flooded with old laserdiscs next year

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I still play a few True Dungeon runs per year with Deviant, but that's mostly because we found a group of high-rollers that loan us the gear poker chips so we can do the hardcore difficulty runs with them. In exchange we give them all the loot chips we get and go out for drinks with them. It's a good system

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

My worst gencon experience is always 3 weeks after GC trying to reconcile all my impulse buys and alcohol with my budget

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I think its a play by forum rpg? This is a move out of the “Can i see your manager” playbook of the apocalypse world hack: Actual World.

If you roll + bougie you can harass the waitstaff and choose one: impress your rich friends later with an anecdote, trigger the libs, or see their manager.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I think I got in like 1pm wednesday last year and sort of regretted not taking the much earlier flight just to get in at 11am

Staying till monday was an excellent move though, sunday night was very fun and relaxing, and it was amusing to see gamers still tucked into bolt holes rolling dice on monday morning, and gaming in the airport. Missed the eclipse though.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

My newbie friend asked me when gencon event registration was, and the first google hit was the 2017 date: Sunday May 6th, which almost gave me heart attack that I was gonna have to corral my new group into picking stuff ASAP.

Then I realized this thread hadn't blown up and that couldn't possibly be true, phew! It's May 19th, so hopefully the event list comes out this weekend?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Originally there was a goon bar trivia meetup but the place folded in-between gencons, so it just became a drinking meetup. It mostly serves to let you put faces to the names in the groupme chat in a low-key environment. Rathskellar is a Beer Garden so you just order from the window and there’s no fuss over checks/waitstaff and rapidly increasing amounts of people.

Highly reccommend, even if you don’t drink. Plus you can make plans and hear about stuff at Gencon you might not know about

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

The most important part of groupme is pics of sleepy gamers taking naps which starts on friday/saturday afternoon and peaks sunday morning

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Even if the room isn’t in my name?

Yep, also they should be able to put additional names on the room. Ask them to put yours because you’ll be there early and you should be able to check in yourself

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

WerrWaaa posted:

When will we be able to see an auction schedule?

Tova is always saturday afternoon

E: this is what is was last year but it’ll probably be slightly different

Fellis fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 7, 2019

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

When is the auction submittal deadline actually, I have some stuff to dispose of

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Ways to ensure you aren’t bored at gencon:

1. Use groupme
2. Come to shot wednesday to meet people and plan for gaming later
3. Just use groupme
4. Nightly meetups at high velocity/JW ballroom
5. loving use groupme jfc
6. How many times were you dropped as a child that you got bored at gencon
7. Go to the auction and try to bid people up
8. Win a tova toy auction against a child and refuse to feel shame about it
9. Play some boredgames :imunfunny:
10. Lists need ten entries

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

That is not a picture of Dr. Quarex, that is Pope Quarex the Twerk, very common mistake

E: wait i think that’s a Jafar hat so it’s Magister Quarex (definitely not evil)

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Ilor posted:

I mean, if you want to avoid the hangover you can just take turns downing shots of chocolate milk until you puke.

This sounds even more depraved than alcohol abuse

I’m in

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

Haha, I forgot about that attempt at a post. Maybe it's foreshadowing for my 2018 PAXU post that I am pretty sure no one but me posted in.

Which was the remake of my thread that got like 4 replies and was archived. I know I posted in yours at least. Despite that I think I did more with goons last year than 2017?? PAXU is so strange to me

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I waited in an FFG line once and it wasn’t worth it. The line for Root was worth it because it took only like 10 min and Root is good

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah the JW bathrooms are always in good shape as far as I’ve seen and not that far from the main exhibit area

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

Thanks for all of the feedback! I'll be driving in and arriving sometime mid afternoon on Wednesday, so I'll probably get in GroupMe and start making some plans with you folks. Looking through the events, there's still lots of workshops and stuff that are really interesting so I feel a lot better about it now. I'm on those people that needs to make plans and schedules so having such a huge network of people who are experienced at dealing with the convention is super helpful.

I mean we have plans its just like:

Wed Arrival - 5:59pm: drop luggage in room, pickup games with goons

Wed 6pm - 10pm: SHOT WEDNESDAY

Wed 10pm - Thur ??am High Velocity post shots additional drinking

Thur ??am - come out of stupor long enough to sign $100 HV check

Thur ??am - jolt up on floor of hotel room, put in earplugs to silence cacophony of roommates who need CPAP

Thur ??am- wake up, ask if shower is free, fall back asleep x4

Thur 9:30am - wake up, reestablish time continuity, realize you have 15 min to destink yourself and run to get in line for the vendor hall rush/your 10am game

Thur 10am - 6pm: gaming/vendor hall/panels/demos/auction for an hour to sit/do people eat lunch?/gawk at everything if it’s your first gencon

Thur 6pm - 11:59pm: dinner somewhere, pickup games with goons, get in groupme, drinking at high velocity, goto 10

Fellis fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 29, 2019

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Saturday 9:30pm - 11:30pm: ticket to True Dungeon: The deadly halls of castle wintermore

Saturday 11:45pm: ticket to True Dungeon: the swamp gas of downtown indianapolis while you walk to Scotty’s

Dr. Quarex posted:

Friday: Pretty sure we always skip Friday

Yeah agreed, friday is the lost day

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

50 days till GENCON

also i was looking up what’s in the game library and turns out gencon is bad???: https://www.gencon.com/forums/31-general-info-2018/topics/14305-gencon-is-overrated-and-a-nightmare-for-actually-gaming

gencon definitely needs more armed cops and needs to be more like dragoncon

If anyone can direct me towards a source for what’s in the game library I would appreciate it

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

OgreNoah posted:

Last time I was in the game library (3 years ago I think) they had pretty much every game we could imagine.
But here's the whole list:

https://tabletop.events/libraries/the-gen-con-games-library

Thanks! I was looking for obscure train games to determine if I need to bring my own, which it looks like I do.

Any goons want to play their first 18xx hit me up, I’ll have the best intro game: 1889.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

Pretty sure you were making fun of that poster you linked to, but if not,

:negative:

I didn’t think I was unfunny enough to be taken seriously when I say something like that in this thread

big oof

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Necronomicon posted:

(oh also I just reinstalled GroupMe and it's already bizz buzzing away on my phone so I guess we're still using the same channel as a few years ago)

Gallant:
Installs groupme and turns off notifications until gencon proper

Goofus:
Installs groupme and shouts at the beeman about bees

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Maigius posted:

Quarex, Question: What is the exact difference between the two card options at the auction?

The green bidding card is linked to your credit card and allows you to keep bidding on things, pay when you want. Costs $1 cash (do not forget this dollar unless the staff is super nice and waives it for you if you legit did not know and TOVA is about to start and you cry a little because you want to buy junk for laughs)

The white bidding card is pay as you go, you must check out after each item you win. This does not prevent you from bidding on anything, as accepting bids is a line of sight at-will attack by the auction master (CR 3) and can even effect you in the consignment shop. Also costs $1.

The fabled yellow card is what the auction staff volunteers get

Fellis fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 14, 2019

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Wait poo poo, wrong account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Necronomicon posted:

I absolutely do not understand the bee man joke. Fill me in?

It’s a groupme joke, join the groupme and you will be privvy to all the comedy gold derived from Deviant shouting at people, which is about 52% of most gencon groupme humor. The other half is pictures of nerds sleeping on the floor of the convention center/hotel lobby/piece of carboard next to an ambulance