Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I just got my time off approved! GEN CON!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

gently caress trying to get more than 4 people in a room. A couple of years ago my friend invited someone to stay with us because he wanted to be as cheap as possible but there were already 6 people staying in the room.
He also neglected to mention that this person was going to be riding with us in an already cramped car.
Then we found out that we had to stay later than we wanted because they were playing in the MLP card tournament final thing that Sunday afternoon.
(My friend is no longer allowed to invite people to Gen Con without talking to everyone else who's going.)
Point being 6 in the Embassy Suites double-double was too many, 7 made everything a nightmare.
No more than 5 to a room any more for me.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Feb 7, 2019

8one6
May 20, 2012

Gen Con California! (no one went), Gen Con Australia! (5 guys in a taco bell with half a copy of Starfleet Battles), Gen Con Europe! (I think. I honestly can't remember what the third one was)

8one6
May 20, 2012

So like three years ago my (now dead) podcast did an episode about what cities could potentially host Gen Con* if they had to move. Mostly it was an excuse to make fun of cities in the midwest.

*That link should take you to the start of the city discussion. If not you can just skip to 23:20.**
**That is if you want to listen. Statistically you don't.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

Aw I guess that explains why I could not find the show of yours I was trying to listen to while writing this thread ;(

It was time to kill it. UnderDiscussion ran for 10 years and had less than 100 listeners, we were a joke to the other RPG podcasters who even knew who we were, and (the biggest reason) one of the hosts moved across the country and my work schedule became incompatible with recording with everyone else.

8one6
May 20, 2012

The one RPG group movie I've seen that wasn't total garbage was Of Dice and Men.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Ego Trip posted:

gently caress you eastmbl
You made me watch Mazes and Monsters

I watched that one a few years ago. It's amazing how poorly it's made, even for a direct to tv movie.

8one6
May 20, 2012

The pizza place in the mall is OK if you don't feel like walking three blocks to hot box and Pizza Di Tito in the Hyatt isn't open.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

Oh no, urge to pedantically argue about pronunciation of Goatse, I thought you were gone forever

But wait, I can still make you go away by thinking about the AAAAAATTENTION GEN-CON ATTENDEES announcer instead, there we go.

AAAAAATTENTION GEN-CON ATTENDEES those loving MTG booths have decided the lanes between booths are actually part of their booths so feel free to bring portable fans to blow around loose cards.

8one6
May 20, 2012

True Dungeon always seems to me like the worst parts of LARP and MtG combined into something super expensive.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Tenasscity posted:

Are all tourneys at gencon a bad idea truly?

If you really like the game and want to spend a serious amount of time playing it instead of doing literally anything else or you're a MtG Pro who makes their living playing MtG then they're worth it.

I've never been able to justify spending multiple 4-8 hour blocks playing the same thing at Gen Con because that's time I could be demo'ing a half-dozen things in the dealer hall or at Games on Demand trying new RPGs.

The one tournament I did play in was the first (and only) Cookie-Fu tournament, which, due to the game's utter lack of popularity was just me and the other five people from my FLGS who played the game.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I love not having to try and schedule around running a seminar anymore!

8one6
May 20, 2012

In case anyone didn't know about it, the high programmer website is way easier to browse for Gen Con events.

http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/

8one6
May 20, 2012

Also start walking at least 15 minuets every day if you don't already. If you're thinking about new shoes I wouldn't wait any longer than early July to start breaking them in. I'm a fat garbage-bag of a human and I averaged 8 miles walked every day of the con last year. If you start now you can get into "won't be near death day two, legs just up and fell the gently caress off day four" shape.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Conan the Librarian posted:

Has there been any serious talk of extending Gencon to Wednesday?

The last few years I've been really crowded on my schedule and I feel like it's really a three day con. Most things I'm interested in don't run on Sunday at all, restricting me to Thursday to Saturday to get in the events I'm interested in.

Having gone to Origins last year I can say that the 5 day schedule was nice.

The vendors in the dealer hall would riot.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Arthil posted:

Hi, so.

This will be my first year ever going to this. Beyond games you could sign up for (and many seem to be sold out already), and various sit-ins to attend (some of which are also sold out already) I'm kind of at a loss as to what to actually do over the course of the four days. I'm going to be there with a decently sized group of friends, but a good few of them have never gone either and the ones which have were a little vague.

1: Start walking now. At least half an hour a day at this point. Your legs will thank for you for starting now on GenCon Saturday.
2: Remember to stay hydrated, but don't buy food/drinks inside the ICC, expecially not inside the dealer hall. It's a huge ripoff.
3: Grab a copy of the program when you get there. Spend half an hour skimming the scheg to see if any games or seminars sound cool. Try to sign up for games that sound cool but expect a lot to be sold out. That may not actualy be a major issue because...
4: Buy some generic tickets (not a lot, maybe $20 worth) If a game sounds cool but is sold out and you don't have anything else for hat time block get to the game a few minutes early and ask the GM if you can get in if they have a no-show. Worst case you're out 15min, best case someone doesn't make it and you get to play.
5: Games on demand is great for trying new things.
6: Watch this thread and that chat program I can't remember the name of and play pick up games with goons.

8one6
May 20, 2012

After the year I forgot my badge at home I will call every time.

Is it too early to start packing for Gen Con?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Druggeddwarf posted:

As the foreigner coming in and not knowing their Five guys from their Trader Joes I appreciate any food links available.

Also, off to start my journey, see you all for Shots Wednesday.

Eat at the food trucks. Pretty much all of them are good.

Also Pizza di Tito in the Hyatt is great at like 1am Saturday morning.

8one6
May 20, 2012

33 hours until I'm on the road to Gen Con!

8one6
May 20, 2012

Will Call has gotten way, way better in the last few years, especially since it's open 24 hours starting Wednesday.

To be fair though, if you listen closely you can still hear the moans of the people standing in the 2011 will call line.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I'm at the traditional pre-Gen Con breakfast at Cracker Barrel.

My con has started.

8one6
May 20, 2012

We ended up driving up highway 44/Washington St. It was a little slow but it's a straight shot into downtown.

8one6
May 20, 2012

The will call lines were moving pretty quickly this year.

:smuggo: Especially in the VIG lounge. / :smuggo:

8one6
May 20, 2012

What the gently caress

8one6
May 20, 2012

Played a fantastic game of CoC an hour or so ago about some teens spending the night in an abandoned school house.
It was published in the first issue of Bayt Al Azif (phone posting so no link) on drivethru and was run by the author.
I seriously recommend it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Managed just a bit over 64k steps over the con.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

The last few years I've just looked through the events and grabbed a ticket for whatever sounded interesting about an hour before it started, but my 'where ever the wind takes me" attitude for the con is definitely not for everyone.