Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice
The wife and I are going for the first time this year. We've got a lottery time for 1:50 PM which from what I'm reading is kind of on the cusp between "awesome time" and "everything booked"

Does anyone know if the housing portal accepts hotel/reward points? The wife has a shitload of Hilton points we wanted to use but this seems like maybe not the best time to try to use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice
Got a room at the Hilton Indianapolis. We were looking at the Hampton Inn but that booked while we were making our decision.

Looked like all of the skywalk rooms were booked but there were still plenty of options downtown.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Avenging Dentist posted:

I apparently learned a new technique for getting the events I want: forget about event registration for weeks, sit bolt upright in bed this morning and shout, "oh gently caress ME today's event registration", then sign on, manage to avoid the queue, and just buy the stuff I wanted. Somehow I got 2 Super Robo Rally events!

(Note: this may not work if you want hard-to-get events other than SRR, but I always had a hard time getting what I wanted for SRR in previous years...)

So this kind of worked for me to. It's my first time going through this process (yay first gencon!) and I had only added one true dungeon event to my wish list. The time I picked was sold out. I waited til my wishlist processing finished and went to see if I could find another open event. Found it and as I was about to add to my wishlist and resubmit I saw that I could just add to cart. I did, and checked out immediately and have the event now.

I was looking at events while my wishlist was in the queue and I couldn't add to cart but as long as I didn't have a submitted wishlist in the queue I could add things to my cart.

So maybe I unintentionally figured out a way to get events earlier and skip the line??

I guess its not really all that useful because you would have to completely forego the usage of the wish list system and with the event website taking 20-30 seconds per page click it's not like you could get everything you wanted booked.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice
The wife and I had an awesome time. First time Gen Con kind of blew me away.

Things that were awesome:
- Meeting people in the elevator. Where does this happen? Gen Con apparently! We met at least two people each day that were cool and had interesting few minute long conversations with. It kind of blew me away - it's just not something that happens anywhere else I've been.
- True Dungeon. Super fun, kind of hectic - only understood about 50% of what was going on. GMs in the rooms were cool. Got a badass ultra rare token that I need to figure out how to sell.
- Vendor hall madness - I think my enjoyment of this one will wear off eventually but it was really something to see so much going on everywhere. Looking at pictures after and seeing so many things we missed after spending hours in the hall just ingrains the epicness of it all.
- TOVA - Hilarious. Will never miss it as long as I'm at Gen Con.

We kept walking around finding more stuff/people/games everywhere. Each new day was like a new discovery of like an entire football field worth of stuff(in one case literally!) we didn't know about. When we first walked into Hall B,C,D,E on day 2 we were just in awe that we hadn't even noticed this ginormous room!?!?!

I regret not spending more time with the goons. We had early stuff going on every day and by 11pm we were spent. I think we need to shift our times around a bit for late night gaming at the JW. We didn't even make our way over to JW3(Holy poo poo, another massive space filled with stuff!?!?!) until the third night and by then we were beat. We stopped by and said hello to a few goons and headed out.

I am legitimately sad that it's over and going back to work today was difficult. I miss it already :(