Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

GEN CON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

A friend and I are working on a little microsite to help people who needed recommendations during Gen Con. Right now it's just food, but maybe we'll add general Gen Con tips as well. It's nothing special, but if anyone finds it helpful it'll be worth it. My friend is a native of Indy and wanted to write up some alternative/supplemental food suggestions to what he usually reads in this thread, and I figured we might as well go the extra inch and make a site out of it. You can sort by price range, and it's organized into stuff that's walkable and stuff that's a short Uber away.

If anyone does end up finding it useful, I can post when we add new information to it leading up to Gen Con.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Dr. Quarex posted:

I love this and I love you and I guess I love Trout unless that is also you

This could probably be a functional replacement for many of the fairly unappealing-looking lists in the second post...or at least a good thing to click if you wanted to know more!

Please do me a favor and say that Steak 'n' Shake's chili is the secret best reason to eat there (O.K. you do not have to but I have probably ordered it every one of the countless hundreds of times I have gone).

Hahaha! Trout is my Indy-native friend, I just made the site (if it was up to me I would have just listed Sun King 100 times because I have an admittedly irrational love for them). I went ahead and added your Chili recommendation. ;)

Feel free to add it to the OP if you want to!

quote:

Edit: Dubbayateeeeffff Burger Study is another St. Elmo expedition? Huh, I am intrigued now.
Yeah! My group went last year and we had to wait a long time, but the food was really delicious. A little pricey, but it was fun and overall I felt like it was worth it (They had a Stranger Things special which was a burger with waffles for the bun and peanut butter--I was very happy with it). We went because we had extra time to burn between two long sessions, and kind of needed some time to sit and un-fry our brains.

Toshimo posted:

Claddagh is walkable chain Irish, and is perfectly servicable.
I can't speak to their food, but we were all there once and there was a wad of hair at the bottom of my friend's (dark) beer. It was an argument to get them to not make her pay for it, which more or less turned me off from that location.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Druggeddwarf posted:

I have been spending 3 days a week walking 3 miles just so I don't die like I nearly did last year. Seriously, for newcomers, it was my first time last yearand I needed new legs by day 3. Get Sensible Shoes (TM)

That aside, I am with the Games on Demand Crew this year, so hopefully my ticket and accomodation is sorted! Looking forward to Shot Wednesday!

Yeah, if I could only recommend two items for people at Gen Con, it'd be comfortable shoes and a refillable large water bottle. It's insane how much of a different a pair of shoes with good support makes even by the end of the first day. And you never realize you're dehydrated until it's too late, but I've found if I have a water bottle on me I will take sips of it periodically almost without thought.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Speaking of timed scenarios, has anyone done the tabletop Pathfinder Mega Event? For better and for worse, my group is big into Pathfinder, and we spend a lot of time at Gen Con playing the Card Game. We loved the Card Game side of the Mega Event last year, and were thinking about doing one night of the Card Game Mega Event and one night of the Tabletop RPG Mega Event this year. I'm kind of worried how it actually plays out, though, since it seems like it could be a lovely experience if you keep getting involuntarily ushered through the campaign due to the global events happening.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

https://twitter.com/Gen_Con/status/1098692902228639744

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Ilor posted:

And Ohio is, in fact, part of hell.

Ohio is always the worst part of our drive out to Indianapolis (and before Gen Con, it was the worst part of my drive to college every semester). Coming from Virginia, you get dumped out of the winding and fun mountains of WV/PA onto... hundreds of miles of straight nothingness, with no interesting/good pit stops.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I’ve done True Dungeon twice and don’t ever need to do it again, but probably will once some new people come to Gen Con who haven’t done it before. My group has some people who rotate in and out every year, and the people who haven’t done True Dungeon are jealous of our stories. It’s hard for me to say it wasn’t worth it, since the first time I made upwards of $400 by selling loot and the second time the group we were paired with was so insanely dysfunctional that my friends and I had great stories and laughs about it later.

Worst spent time so far has easily been a demo of Dark Souls board game. The person running the time slot was more interested in talking to their friend than teach us, the scenario sucked and didn’t show off main game mechanics, and all of my friends and I just felt like the game sucked in general.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm sure I've mentioned it before but the last two years I've spent a ton of money on board games that I've never even played. This year I'm just going hogwild on RPGs, old and new. At least I can read them if my group never players them.

That's been my Gen Con spending journey, as well! The first few years I went hog wild on games, realized that we didn't play a lot of them outside of that week, and then started buying RPG supplements instead. We still don't use the majority of them, but they make for fun reading and stealing ideas to transplant to other settings.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

If you’re gonna get food delivered, you should do Clustertruck! They have a ton of options and types of food. My friends and I use it a lot to get dinner delivered to us when we’re back out our “home base” for the evenings and don’t want to take a break from playing games/drinking.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

nesbit37 posted:

Everything food related seems to be failing at Indianapolis. I am pretty sure all that is open right now is the RAM, the Rathskeller, and the Steak and Shake. Pretty sure Steak and Shake survives due to the Lovecraftian beast that drives its shake machine from the sewers below.

There's a TON of great places to eat in downtown Indy! Some of them are a short Uber ride away, but all are easily doable during an hour or two break in your schedule if you need to get away. It's in the OP, but my friend and I wrote up a list of places convenient to the Con to get food.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

GEN CON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(the last person in my group just bought their ticket, so I felt the need to yet again shout to the gods of Gen Con)

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

WerrWaaa posted:

My inclination to learn toward a few RPGs I want to learn, one-off demo games, and wandering between the dealers and auction in my free/sober time.

This is usually what my group does. We focus on getting tickets for things we either want to try (new RPGs, new games) or games that we don't have the opportunity to play a lot the rest of the year (Pathfinder Adventure Card Game). We've had really great success with this over the years--and then any time in between we spend in the dealer hall doing quick demos there. The key is to not overload your time and to make good use of it by doing what works for you. We like small breaks in between timeslots so we can decompress, talk about the games, and not immediately run to another spot right as one game ends.

Have a couple generics on you, and don't be afraid to ask if there is room at a table or room in an upcoming timeslot if you pass by a ticketed game and it looks interesting.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

nesbit37 posted:

PAXU is weird. Last con of the the year, and it is the least structured of any other tabletop con. Even dice tower feels better structured and the entire point of that con is playing pickup games from the game library with strangers. Maybe I am just too embittered about line only cons, but if I didn't live in Philly I wouldn't go to PAXU

My friends and I went to the inaugural one and haven't felt the need to go back since. I really dislike Line-Only Cons, especially for something like tabletop gaming. Their giant Games Library room was fun, but not enough to drive to Philly and spend the weekend (not dissing Philly, I just mean that it's just far enough from Northern VA to be a pain).

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

drat, I let my group down and forgot about event registration while we were all on a beach vacation together. We got a couple of PACG slots (but! Even! The! 9am! Slots! Were! Sold! Out!), but nothing else. Hoping to go find some more esoteric stuff to fill in our schedule with, and just hope we can use generics to get into the PACG timeslots that were sold out. I noticed Paizo seemed to scale back their PACG offerings this year, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen the events sell out before. Crazy times.

I’m really bummed we didn’t get seats at the Expanse RPG. We’re all huge fans of the books and were really looking forward to it. Maybe I’ll just buy the book and DM it for us that weekend.

GEN CON!!!!!!

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

NeurosisHead posted:

I'm attending GenCon for the first time this year, which is cool. I guess everything big is sold out already, which is less cool. Is wandering around the booths something that I can send the whole time doing, or should I start figuring out what else in Indianapolis I want to do? :(

The first two years I went to Gen Con, my buddy and I had no idea what we were doing and didn't get tickets for anything. You could spend all 4 days just in the Dealer Hall doing demos and checking things out, as well as in the Games Library / Games on Demand sections. Don't worry--the best of Gen Con is still open to you! Think about getting some Generic Tickets (not a lot, just a few) to spend at those places. Embrace pick-up gaming with goons and friends! If something looks neat, ask about it--everyone I've met at Gen Con except the grognardiest of grognards have been extremely nice, helpful, and friendly.

I only ever bring a backpack/satchel (I alternate which I bring each year, as each have pros and cons) with my dice bag, a small notebook and pen, and a mini or two just in case. Also toss in a waterbottle (Simple Modern makes cheap and great vacuum sealed waterbottles that won't sweat and will keep your water cold all day), a couple snacks, and maybe a USB battery to charge your phone. And you're good to go!

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Anyone know if the Dice Throne people will be at Gen Con?

Also, as GEN CONNNN!!!!!!!!!!! draws near, I'll post the link my friend and I made of a bunch of different food recommendations downtown: http://gencon.cowise.info/

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Blankspot posted:

After years of talking about attending GenCon with my wife we are finally doing it this year.
On the road traveling from Oregon at the moment.
I've been lurking the thread for awhile and taking notes of the tips from everyone.
We are both very excited and my wife has signed up for a few paint classes. Right now my plans are to be overwhelmed by everything for 4 days.
Some of our favorite games include Gloomhaven, Between Two Cities, Terra Mystica, Caverna, Galaxy Trucker, A Feast for Odin, Near and Far, Mansions of Madness and Mysterium. This list was ment to be shorter but we love board games!

ENJOY! Your first Gen Con is always a magical experience. Just remember, despite everyone in this thread (including me!) having strong opinions about how best to do Gen Con: there's no wrong way to do Gen Con if you're having fun.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Sionak posted:

Yeah, Red Markets is great and has been getting some continuing support in the form of supplements. I was stoked at the IDGN booth to discover you got a poster when picking up Red Markets stuff.

It makes a great con game since - as noted above - the combat is difficult and lethal, and the mechanics are relatively simple.

I was talking about this with some friends after the con. I feel like there really is something special about GenCon - it's very enthusiastic and very friendly. I've seen this in the games I've played, the games I've run, and yeah, just the elevators up and down at the hotel. It's pretty unique among any con I've been to and it's great.

I couldn’t agree more. Everyone I interact with feels very genuine and something like 90% of the experiences I have with other players at tables are great.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I realized I hadn't written my wrap up for this year, so, incoming long post!

This Gen Con was a lot of fun, but a little bit weird in a few ways. My friends and I were all on vacation when the event tickets went on sale and we were all too drunk to remember to buy our wishlist. So we ended up just picking up a mish-mash of games to play. It wasn't ideal, but it ended up with us finding some games we really enjoyed.

Fuji Koro was a game that seemed interesting, but the guy giving the demo seemed to have no idea how to teach a game. He came off as someone who was VERY familiar with the game, but had no idea how to translate that knowledge into a meaningful teaching experience. They also oversold the time slot and had 3 games setup for just the one person to manage. My friends and I bounced about 5 minutes into the timeslot instead of having a terrible experience. We went to the Games Library instead and played until about 2am, which was a very fun experience and something we've never done before. We played Inis which was neat but not for me, and the Super Mario Level Up game which was stupid and simple but provided a lot of goofy late night fun.

We also demo'd Dragoon which was a big hit with all but one in my group. We made the mistake of demoing the deluxe version, though, and then were turned off by the price of it (and didn't want to "downgrade" to the normal version).

As always, we played a LOT of Pathfinder: Adventure Card Game. We did the first two morning slots every day, which was a fun way to start off the day. We have enough that we can field a table ourselves, and it's the only time each year that my friends and I are able to play together so we make the most of it. We have a GM/Facilitator that we like and have sought him out to run our time slot the last 3 years, which is a lot of fun since he knows us well now. It didn't hurt that with the prize rolls you can do, my group collectively won the new Core Set (x2), the Curse of the Crimson Throne expansion (x2), and all of the Ultimate Add-On packs.

We demo'd Legends of Draxia, which was a lightweight but fun hand-drafting game. It didn't blow my socks off, but it was priced right and will be the perfect game for my friends and I to play at the local brewery.

It was a light year for purchases for me, because my group is still 1.5 years into Gloomhaven and the end is just now in sight. I ended up getting Dice Throne S1 (with the promo cards), Aeon's End Legacy (to play as a nice break after Gloomhaven), and The Expanse RPG Quickstart. I spent a lot of time in the dealer hall, but walked away without having demo'd a lot of stuff I wish I had. Keyforge seems like it will be a big hit with my group, though.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Erainor posted:

I'm trying to get back into Pathfinder Card Game after a bad experience with a player nearly ended my interest. I got a base set for 10 dollars at the consignment store =D
I didn't even know there was a new Crimson Throne expansion!

I hope you can get back into it and have a better experience! In my experience, it's a really fun game that can be a little too RNG heavy at times, but it's worth it for the theme and sense of progression. If you're going to be at Gencon next year, let me know and my group can save a spot at our table for you if you want an extremely lowkey group of people to play with.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

DalaranJ posted:

There’s a prototype of the Root RPG? I’m not sure who to ask about this since you didn’t get to play it.

Root itself didn't look like it'd appeal to me (I'm not a huge fan of Risk/Inis type of node-based soldier combat), but I would very much gently caress with an RPG in that setting.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Have they said if they're working on eTickets or anything?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

It's not Gen Con yet and, imo, that's hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

GEN CON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!