Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Carteret posted:

I believe your excuse EVERY YEAR EVER (besides the year we all don't want to think about... the dark Quarex-less Con) had something to do with the Auction Dinner? Or was that on Tuesday and you just hate us.

I want to say the Auction dinner is on Tuesday which is why Quarex, and by association me as his equally-unhinged partner in Gen-Con crime, started spending the WHOLE WEEK OF GEN-CON IN INDY WOOOOOOOOO but that doesn't explain why neither of us went to Shots Wednesday, and I don't remember any other reason.

GEN

COOOOOOON

Edit: my financial spreadsheet has, among other things, a tab for savings and how much of the whole account is devoted to what thing (one thing being Gen-Con, of course), long story short I have a countdown to Gen-Con in the sheet so I have a little reminder of just how soon it is coming. 186 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Dr. Quarex posted:

It reminds me of the awesome deal I set up when I first started playing Magic: The Gathering; I let two of my friends' younger brothers scam me out of my dual lands and other rare cards for virtually nothing, and in exchange the two of them were the ones who destroyed their lives with heroin.

Going through a mental list of our mutual acquaintances with brothers like :stare:

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

nesbit37 posted:

Maybe, but a larger than usual number of them (at least as far as Gen Con goers are concerned) have closed this past year. And uber to food? Never! That takes up valuable gaming, drinking, and sleeping time.

Some of the ones closed in the last 12 months of note, I am sure there are more:

Scotty's
Shula's (apparently there were 15 downtown steakhouses, now there are 10)
Red the Steakhouse
Hard Rock Cafe
Noodles & Co
Crispy-bird Fried Chicken
King David Dogs
Broken English (pretty sure this place opened up after Gen Con last year and is already closed)

RIP Havali :(

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

WerrWaaa posted:

When will we be able to see an auction schedule?

Generally it's not up until the con itself, since they figure out the time frames on Wednesday based on the amount of stuff people bring in. The only consistency is that TOVA is mid-afternoon on Saturday followed by the charity auction to close things out that evening.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

I think this might be the year Quarex and I break from whatever we're doing during our Gen Con pilgrimage and actually go to Shots Wednesday; every year I feel like something else has come up although I don't remember what it ever is.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

And adding us to Shots Wednesday will likely in no way interfere with your ability to consume all the shots yourself, as I do not drink and I am not sure I have seen Captain Rat drink in like five years, but maybe he does sometimes???

I am basically teetotal at this point.

Gen Con!

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

CellBlock posted:

The priest doesn't really look all that sad. And how could he, when he's surrounded by all those games!?

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Gen con is expensive as gently caress, and I don't have anyone to go with, so I was probably just going to come one day and pick up some RPGs. Any new releases worth checking out? The only I know are Cyberpunk Red's starter set, and Shadowrun 6th Ed.

You can probably save money by passing on Shadowrun 6th based on the Shadowrun thread.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

Deviant posted:

a) how the gently caress would they know anything about it?

b) it has to be better than 5e

Mostly by reading the information on what's been released and inferring information from it. Of note is that the release schedule looks to be quite rushed with little-to-no time for proofreading, and given Catalyst's track record this doesn't really inspire confidence. Released rules changes sound like they're neutral-to-bad.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

Usually we talk here for about a month afterwards and HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST I AM HAVING A SECOND CHILD which is the only reason I can imagine missing it. Well. Hospitals notwithstanding

Look, we've been over this: wrap it up in November and boom, no conflict.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

LuiCypher posted:

The wife and I are saving our Hilton points and vacation time for a grand trip to Japan next year, but I am seriously tempted to come to Gen Con next year if only to make you help me get through celebrate the 1.5 bottles of Malort I have sitting in my house.

This is violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

Also if you missed T.O.V.A. this year, you missed me apparently inspiring* Jim who always does the Charity Auction to ask me to be his partner next year, meaning I could easily be auctioneering for like five-six hours on Saturday next year, ensuring my untimely demise.

*This was not even a particularly good T.O.V.A. overall, considering the relative mundanity of so much of the stuff we sold, but certainly it was pretty enjoyable

Also this is the year that convinced me to finally pull the trigger on volunteering for the auction, so I may be up on the stage for something (writing or running, at least) next year, and maybe even at the same time as Quarex!