Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

BlackIronHeart posted:

Is this where I complain about perennially having a 6pm or later housing lottery time? I wanna see someone's supervisor.

I got my earliest time ever in the last 11 years of attending: 2:51 PM. I'm sure everything will be long gone by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

Anyone remember when 4 day passes sold out last year?

It was just a week or two before the Con actually started. You've got some time.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

WerrWaaa posted:

When and where can we expect to start seeing lists of cool poo poo coming out at GenCon?

There are usually some initial lists by April/May, and the big BGG list really comes together in June I think.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

Apparently some sort of important Magic: The Gathering foil reprint release occurred in 2010.

Yup, the 2nd-4th years I went to GenCon Wizards actually had their own booth, and they did the From The Vault reprints that you could get a few weeks in advance and at actual MSRP, which was a steal. For the 2008 one you had to run across the entire dealer hall and be in the first 100 people in line each day. I don't remember what 2009 was like because I didn't care about that set, but for 2010 you had to be in the dealer hall when disguised Wizards employees announced they were giving out tickets for you to go purchase it, and I was lucky enough to get one.

Then Wizards stopped coming to GenCon and that was sad.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Agrias120 posted:

Speaking of timed scenarios, has anyone done the tabletop Pathfinder Mega Event? For better and for worse, my group is big into Pathfinder, and we spend a lot of time at Gen Con playing the Card Game. We loved the Card Game side of the Mega Event last year, and were thinking about doing one night of the Card Game Mega Event and one night of the Tabletop RPG Mega Event this year. I'm kind of worried how it actually plays out, though, since it seems like it could be a lovely experience if you keep getting involuntarily ushered through the campaign due to the global events happening.

I've done Pathfinder and Starfinder mega events at GenCon, Origins, and U*Con in the past 1.5 years. Origins was weirdly the worst of the three, U*Con the best, and GenCon was in the middle. It of course matters which mega event is being run, and who your GM is, and how prepared they are. PF 9x00 and PF 10x00 were both super fun, and SF 1x99 was also pretty great (I used a pregen at lvl 8 to fill a slot and it was well worth it), but PF 8x99 was not properly timed I think. Anyway, I'd definitely try one if you haven't before. I'd also recommend you know what you're doing otherwise you'll seriously slow everyone down and that won't help.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

All Zinfandels do taste the same: bad, just like every other grape-based wine.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

enigmahfc posted:

Id there a thread or anything for Origins? I won't be a Gen Con this year, but am planning on Origins and was just curious.

Dunno but I'm going to Origins too and totally excited about it.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Says here that Beginner's Box will drop at Origins and Core Rulebook will be at GenCon.
http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?6259-Shadowrun-6th-Edition-Announced

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I really wish I could remember the name of the bar with the racist owner. This was probably 9 years ago, but we ventured out for lunch and ended up at a sports bar on the back (from the convention center) of one of the local high-rises. Sat down for lunch, everything was on Cartoon Network and they had GenCon themed stuff around. We had decent burgers and most of the way through the meal the owner came up said Hi, and how happy he was that it was GenCon because it's the only local convention that doesn't bring black people in. We (three mid 20s white guys) were all so stunned that we didn't respond at all, and then left.

Really should have remembered the name so no one would go there.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

I know this is every sports bar at Gen-Con, but are you 100% sure it was not ... oh you know what, I forgot the Champps in the Marriott moved and changed to Conner's Kitchen and Pub, which is surely not the same thing anyway so I suppose it would be irrelevant now even if it was that one.

Still, wow. Nice reminder about Indiana's important role in Midwest racism for sure! He belongs in a museum! Maybe all the fascist shitpeople angry about Gen-Con embracing diversity instead of a sabaton stamping on an orc face forever can find that guy and spend all their time there instead

It wasn't Champspspspsps or however many consonants they choose to use. It wasn't a chain, that would have made it easier to remember.

We all sorta stared at each other wondering if what he said was what we actually heard. Could barely believe the casual racism issuing from his mouth.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Last time I was in the game library (3 years ago I think) they had pretty much every game we could imagine.
But here's the whole list:

https://tabletop.events/libraries/the-gen-con-games-library

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I've been to Dragon Con two or three times, and it's a giant shitshow compared to GenCon. Since you can't get tickets in advance for pretty much anything you have to wait in line for hours to maybe get into a panel that's in a room so large that you can't even really see the stage. Also there are a ton of drunken idiots. The costumes are cool though.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I just got back from Origins too! I pretty much played Pathfinder and Starfinder the entire Con, except for one Indie Games on Demand session on Friday. I had a blast, and got to take a few walks around the dealer hall, bought Century New World and Lanterns Dice, as well as a few Magic cards.
They do have a problem with parking as Nesbit says, I stayed at a friend's parents' house with him, but there's not much parking downtown which is kinda weird for a large city. It definitely reminds me more of Gencon back in 2007 when I first started going, so much smaller. And North Market is always good.

Oh yeah, their online event registration system is a loving tragedy. It needs to be taken out back and put down. When you search by day it wont even show you events that end at midnight or start before midnight, it's so bad.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

And packed it in mentally at work in about September.

Mine goes GenCon's over, time to think about U*Con, U*Con's over time to think about Origins, Origins' over time to think about GenCon.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

I now know about U*Con! Definitely would have gone last year if I had known. Tragedy.

I live in Ypsilanti so if you're in town this year I can show you around!

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Ilor posted:

Wait, WTF? I live in Ann Arbor and work in Ypsi. Why the hell are we not Gooning it up?

Well I work in Ann Arbor and live in Ypsi so i's probably like strangers passing at rush hour.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

WerrWaaa posted:

Gross. Also the store has the mug next to a nike football and I wonder where the cross over is between the people who support both of those things.

Capitalists.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Two people have requested 40 hours of my work time next week on various projects and it fills me with unimaginable glee to say "Sorry, I'm only here Monday and Tuesday".

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Is will call open past 9 pm I cant remember

Yes. I think it's open 24/7, but I've at least gotten my will call tickets past 10pm on Wednesday before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Hey man I had to defend greyhawk from bugbears so we all had a busy weekend

And I defended all of Golarion from the world's worst Lich and all his terrible minions.