Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

So I got a 1:06 time slot this year, and managed to get a room three blocks from the convention center (in a hotel that's not even finished being built yet). Hooray! Although it isn't quite as good as last year when my group managed to get a hotel that was connected via skywalk and also literally across the street from the ICC.

Either way, maybe this is the year I finally hang out with Goons? I've been going to GenCon in Indianapolis every year since 03 but always with a group of friends who I've stuck pretty close to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I've heard about Shots Wednesday a couple of times but never went to it. Is it just...Goons doing shots? I'm going to be there with three friends, two of which are sort-of-Goons (they haven't read or posted in forever) so I figure we should probably do that.

Also definitely showing up on Tuesday this year. That'll give me time to see family and friends, mentally prepare myself, and also my job has unlimited vacation so why the gently caress not

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I've never really had much success doing videogames at GenCon. A few years ago when I was really into fighting games I played in a Street Fighter tournament, and did a goofball retro game event that night, but as I recall the arcade is crazy expensive now. Honestly I just had a blast bringing my Switch with me so my buddies and I could keep gaming even after we were too tired to be in the convention center.

I was skimming through all the posts in the thread since I asked about shots Wednesday and realized I have never signed up for an event prior to the con. I always just show up and pick weird / fun stuff out of the program. If I want to do something weird / unique / not just a board game session, what kind of stuff should I be looking for? And I am *definitely* doing shots Wednesday.

(oh also I just reinstalled GroupMe and it's already bizz buzzing away on my phone so I guess we're still using the same channel as a few years ago)

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I absolutely do not understand the bee man joke. Fill me in?

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Lord Of Texas posted:

Speaking of open gaming, is anyone interested in heavier gaming at GenCon? I'd love to get in a game of Food Chain Magnate or Sidereal Confluence, and I don't feel like paying the game library prices after $20 getting me 5 days of library access at Origins.

I keep hearing about Food Chain Magnate and every year I keep wanting to check it out. Maybe this will be the year!

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Hot take: Shapiro's is terrible.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I'm flying out tomorrow morning and very seriously questioning my decision to go to work for one day this week. Like, I'm not getting poo poo done today. That is very clear.

Somewhat on-topic: what kind of things do you most often wish you had packed once you arrive? Like, "oh poo poo, I can't believe I forgot xxx". And don't say "your badge"

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

A small pack of wet wipes. Hand sanitizer can only do so much when you enter an elevator and press a button and get a mystery substance on your hand. (This happened last year to me :( )

Smart! I'll pick some up today.

nesbit37 posted:

The only thing I ever regretted forgetting was shoes. One year, I decided to wear flip flops so I didn't have to be annoyed at taking my pain in the rear end shoes off at the airport. Flight was great, I get to my hotel, holy poo poo, I forgot my shoes. It was not fun walking around Gen Con, like 8 miles a day of walking, in flip flops for 5 days.

holy poo poo my dude, that's awful. I just got some fresh new kicks last week so I'm good to go on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

ugh get out of here steve im crankin my hog