Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
This is going to be my first GenCon and I'm freaking out send help.

I'll be helping out at the Indie Game Alliance vendor booth, pitching my latest prototype, and hoping to get some good playtesting in. It's going to be a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

The prototype I'm primarily pitching/playtesting

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/32584290

But Walking Doggos will be there too. I'd love to find a small-box publisher to pick it up.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

nesbit37 posted:

Are you pitching to publishers or just running demos/playtests in the exhibit hall? If theblatterbget email addresses or something. In my experience, you are not going to get a lot of great playtest feedback from people primarily there to shop.

I'm pitching to publishers during my breaks at the vendor hall, and after the hall closes I'll be looking for playtesters in the open play rooms.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Made it to the convention center. This place is massive

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Well if anyone wants to chat I'm hanging out at exhibitor Hall entrance I on bench. Waiting for my vendor contact to get here.

Pandasaurus is one of the top publishers I want to pitch to. North Star is another. Trying to make a mental list of everyone that fits my designs.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

djfooboo posted:

Good luck pitching at GenCon, if it doesn't go well remember that GenCon isn't a great pitching con.

I'm not expecting much. But there's a few publishers that I know will take quick pitches and only at convention so I'm going to try my best.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

So I did publisher speed dating tonight and it went pretty well.

Indie Game Alliance thinks they can get me a publisher this weekend. They loved my profile and they're going to introduce me to a few publishers tomorrow that they think it's be perfect for. I'm so excited.

Also TMG requested the full rules for it after I impromptu pitched it to them in the show floor.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I had to go back to my hotel early tonight. I was really hoping to get in some gaming and meet up with people, but then the owners of the booth I'm working got sick and I had to close the booth and bring all they money and stuff back to them :(

Oh well.

Everyone should come find me at Indie Game Alliances' booth tomorrow between 3 and 5. I'll be demoing my Walking Doggos game. Come walk doggos with me. Cuz Doggos are awesome.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I officially survived my first GenCon and came away with over $400 in free games from the booth I was working. Haul pics to come later when I finish unpacking.

I managed 50,655 steps over the course of the weekend. Pitched my games to a bunch of publishers, made a ton of great contacts, and the owner of the booth I was looking for is going to help me do some more pitching once he's recovered from GenCon in a few days.

The highlight of the con was seeing all the smiling faces as I demoed Walking Doggos. I have no idea if my demos will result in more sales, but just seeing people love the concept and the theme made my week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

nesbit37 posted:

Exhibiting now it's just so much more difficult. I really need to do a schedule or something next year for the booth. I was stuck in it far more than I wanted, and I was planning on being there a lot. Biggest issue, though, was after exhibit hall hours. By the time we got out of the hall by about 6:30, we would have to head to the hotel to drop stuff off and then go eat. By the time dinner was done we were all just wiped and had no energy for anything more involved than sitting on a bed in the hotel room. Not even any game playing, which was kind of sad. I need to find a new way to Gen Con if I am going to keep this way up.

This was my experience almost exactly. The one day I got off early and tried to have the energy to make it to the JW I gave up half way there.

It didn't help that my hotel had no real lobby to hang out at when I got back to the hotel to relax afterwards. Hopefully next year I'll have a better hotel and can hang out with people there rather than just crashing in my room immediately.